Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Giving the active thread on the old site a new home. I hope someone captured a soundboard off that reunion show.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

meimjustalawnmower
    Several vids up on YT now.

It is up on a site that is not a Nickel.

Cultersoarus Erectus

excellent band , their second and third albums are faves of mine since they mixed intense heavy rocking songs with cool arranging etal. once they started having hits to me some of their uniqueness coolness went away . still a killer band but for consistent great songs and rocking playing you can't beat tyranny and mutation and secret treaties.

All their albums up to Imaginos are great IMO. I never cared for that one. The last two studio albums are pretty good as well.
    Harvest Moon is possibly the best song they've ever recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    excellent band , their second and third albums are faves of mine since they mixed intense heavy rocking songs with cool arranging etal. once they started having hits to me some of their uniqueness coolness went away . still a killer band but for consistent great songs and rocking playing you can't beat tyranny and mutation and secret treaties.

Yup, I also like the first s/t, and most of Agents Of Fortune.
    They lost me after that.

Agents of Fortune is consistently strong.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    All their albums up to Imaginos are great IMO. I never cared for that one. The last two studio albums are pretty good as well.
    Harvest Moon is possibly the best song they've ever recorded.
    Agreed an all time classic IMO and should have been a big radio hit.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post

One of my least favorite BOC albums. Even though it was the one that put them on the map commercially I think they have done much better work.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Except for Debbie Denise its a great album.
    Buck's Sinful Love guitar solos are top notch.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Except for Debbie Denise its a great album.
    I kinda like the song, but yeah, way off the beaten trail. If you've heard the reissue, you'd know that wasn't even the weirdest song they recorded in those sessions:

Last edited by 3LockBox; 11-20-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: fixed

I really dig BOC, I have all the studio albums except Imaginos, and am missing a couple of live albums still. I love the whole vibe they have, and as much as I enjoy their early stuff, the more eartime I give the later albums the more I dig those. My dream is that they would put out another album

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I once saw BOC open for Rush. I really knew nothing about them, and aside from that show, as far as I know Don't Fear the Reaper is the only BOC song I know.

When the drummer donned the Godzilla mask I was in tears of laughter. Now THERE'S a Spinal Tap moment!

Quote Originally Posted by CaffieneMan View Post
    I really dig BOC, I have all the studio albums except Imaginos, and am missing a couple of live albums still. I love the whole vibe they have, and as much as I enjoy their early stuff, the more eartime I give the later albums the more I dig those. My dream is that they would put out another album
    I bet they will record another album at some point. I enjoyed the last two as well, though Heaven Forbid had some forgettable tunes amidst the gems.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I once saw BOC open for Rush. I really knew nothing about them, and aside from that show, as far as I know Don't Fear the Reaper is the only BOC song I know.

When the drummer donned the Godzilla mask I was in tears of laughter. Now THERE'S a Spinal Tap moment!
    You probably know "Godzilla" and "Burnin For You" which were both big AOR radio hits. Yea, the whole Godzilla thing was a little cheesy (they used to have a big mechanical Godzilla head on stage), but these guy are one of those bands that you really have to delve into their albums to appreciate. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but in my opinion they are one of the most unique bands in the history of rock n roll and they just clicked with me on some sublimnal (Subhuman?) level. I have seen them about 15 times and own all of their studio albums. One of my all time favorites.

Steve Sly

First time I saw Rush they were opening for B.O.C. and neither one of them had any hits. Man am I old.

Anyway, best point of entry for a prog fan would be Secret Treaties. The last four songs segue together into almost a suite and Buck Dharma's intricate guitar work is spectacular.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by CaffieneMan View Post
    My dream is that they would put out another album
    I'm sure they want to - I suspect they have material for it. I think the main obstacle in terms of a new album is that Eric Bloom's voice is pretty much shot. He gives it his everything in concerts, with a little help from his friends, and of course he is also indispensable on guitars and keys. But a new album would have to rely mostly on Buck's singing (which is still great). It would work, but it would be a bit of a different beast.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So I saw BÖC in Tarrytown Friday night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I’m a fan now. I’m planning to buy the albums from secret treaty forward, cheap used CDs only, unless there’s some kind of completeish and fondleable box set.

I saw them a couple times in the early 00s. I even bought a concert T. Buck Dharma is a hell of a guitarist.

Holy Thread of Unknown Origin, Batman!

This thing was buried for 7+ years??

So I saw BÖC in Tarrytown Friday night, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I’m a fan now. I’m planning to buy the albums from secret treaty forward, cheap used CDs only, unless there’s some kind of completeish and fondleable box set.
    Get "The Columbia Albums Collection" box set. It contains all of the studio and live albums up through "Imaginos". It also contains two albums of live rarites. Great stuff!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Holy Thread of Unknown Origin, Batman!

This thing was buried for 7+ years??
    Someone was doing some digging right? There's a more currant thread still on the first page but it's fun to read 7 year old posts... sometimes.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Why start at Secret Treaties (my fave, btw)? The first two albums are great. And grab "Heaven Forbid" as well.
    Chad

I've only kept the expanded Enchanted Evening from the band (always found Feet/Kness a bit cringy)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One of my least favorite BOC albums. Even though it was the one that put them on the map commercially I think they have done much better work.
    Absolutely.
    Never understood the success of AOF. I prefer by far Spectres from that "AOR trilogy" (that's including Mirrors)
    Not that I found the B&W (and redà trilogy all that great. Only really like Treaties)
    the following trilogy Erectus-Fire-Night is also uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyway, best point of entry for a prog fan would be Secret Treaties. The last four songs segue together into almost a suite and Buck Dharma's intricate guitar work is spectacular.
    Absolutely. Out of my CDr compilation, Treaties' flipside is complete, plus ME262
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.