Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    When did they do that? I mist have missed it. Was it the entire tour?
    Yes, they did a whole tour with Al playing the album in 2016. They released an official recording (40th Anniversary AOF).

Sorry, but I haven't followed from close (or even farther away) since the Origin album, but could someone tell me how or why Lannier and the two Bouchard are out of BOC??

I know Lannier's departure is still fairly recent, and since AB returns for short appearances, it's probably that there is not bad feelings (is it the same for Joe, though?)

========================

BTW, I just made a (shaky??) parrallel between BOC and Styx:
    - where brothers were holding the drums & bass and have been more or less out of the picture for ages, though one of them is still making the odd appearance.
    - the respective KB player also gone (we know DDY is never returning)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sorry, but I haven't followed from close (or even farther away) since the Origin album, but could someone tell me how or why Lannier and the two Bouchard are out of BOC??

I know Lannier's departure is still fairly recent, and since AB returns for short appearances, it's probably that there is not bad feelings (is it the same for Joe, though?)

========================

BTW, I just made a (shaky??) parrallel between BOC and Styx:
    - where brothers were holding the drums & bass and have been more or less out of the picture for ages, though one of them is still making the odd appearance.
    - the respective KB player also gone (we know DDY is never returning)
    Lannier died in 2013 from complications from COPD. Albert was kicked out in 1981. He did a brief tour in 1985 and has not been in the band since. Joe stayed in the band until 1986 when he basically retired from B.O.C. although he still does music.

Allen Lanier and the Bouchard brothers rejoined the band for some songs during a concert in 2012.
    BOC and the Bouchard brothers also played together at the Allen Lanier tribute concert in 2016 (the whole concert is on YT).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Lannier died in 2013 from complications from COPD. Albert was kicked out in 1981. He did a brief tour in 1985 and has not been in the band since. Joe stayed in the band until 1986 when he basically retired from B.O.C. although he still does music.
    Why was Al kicked out, though?

I just checked on RYM, both Bouchard had a few "solo" albums in the last 10/15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Allen Lanier and the Bouchard brothers rejoined the band for some songs during a concert in 2012.
    BOC and the Bouchard brothers also played together at the Allen Lanier tribute concert in 2016 (the whole concert is on YT).
    So there shouldn't be bad blood between them, right?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Why was Al kicked out, though?

I just checked on RYM, both Bouchard had a few "solo" albums in the last 10/15 years.

So there shouldn't be bad blood between them, right?
    From what I have read there were increasing tensions between Al and the band during the "Fire Of Unknown Origin" tour in the U.S. During the following European tour Al was late (or did not show up at all) for several gigs and drum tech Rick Downey filled in. Al was eventually sacked and Rick became the drummer. There is more to it, and of course there is more than one side to the story depending on the source.

I think there has been some mending of the fences over the years. As Intersteller mentioned there have been a few re-unions in the last few years and Al appears in the new video although neither Al or Joe are a current member of the band.

New interview with Buck and Eric:

Actually, it looks like the interview is from back in August. Not really a great interview either, but a little bit of information.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 09-14-2020 at 02:10 PM.

From what I have read there were increasing tensions between Al and the band during the "Fire Of Unknown Origin" tour in the U.S. During the following European tour Al was late (or did not show up at all) for several gigs and drum tech Rick Downey filled in. Al was eventually sacked and Rick became the drummer. There is more to it, and of course there is more than one side to the story depending on the source.

I think there has been some mending of the fences over the years. As Intersteller mentioned there have been a few re-unions in the last few years and Al appears in the new video although neither Al or Joe are a current member of the band.
    thanks for the infos

Stumbled upon this today. I have not made it through the whole thing, but it is pretty interesting stuff for B.O.C. heads:

^^^^

Wow, Thx!!

Although I don't really care (at all) for the Imaginos concept and album, this rockumentary answered almost every question about the band I could've ever invented, including the Bouchard faction feud and the Pearlman implications in the band. Sandy played quite an artistic role in BOC, like Pete Sinfield in Crimson and Reid in Procol on top of being their manager/producer.

It looks like Lannier (despite his Patti Smith love connection) was the least the least active of the original five - at least outside the group.

Interesting video, thanks.

^^^^

Wow, Thx!!

Although I don't really care (at all) for the Imaginos concept and album, this rockumentary answered almost every question about the band I could've ever invented, including the Bouchard faction feud and the Pearlman implications in the band. Sandy played quite an artistic role in BOC, like Pete Sinfield in Crimson and Reid in Procol on top of being their manager/producer.

It looks like Lannier (despite his Patti Smith love connection) was the least the least active of the original five - at least outside the group.
    I have only made it through the first hour so far, but yes it is very interesting. For hard core B.O.C. fans "Imaginos" was the ultimate mythos spread throughout the band's career. The album that eventually came out proved disappointing (IMO), and should have been the band's ultimate magnum opus, but this video explains a lot of what happened.

I loved the Imaginos record when it came out. I loved the cover, the mystique surrounding it, the fact that it was less commercial than the ones before it and the fact that the original band seemed to have reunited.
    I obviously didn't know the background, although I knew that I was hearing a lot of session musicians and the album didn't really sound like BOC (where was Buck's guitar ?).
    In retrospect it appears as an odd product, but I still like it.

This one features Richie on lead vocal!

I pre ordered it yesterday! Cannot wait. I also did not enjoy Imaginos. I enjoy every other BOC album, though not every song, but not Imaginos.
    Anyway, not long to wait for the new album.

The Richie guy is a great singer, but it doesn't sound like BOC. Just generic pop metal. Oh yeah, IMHO!

AAAAND here's the video!

I just saw on Facebook that Albert Bouchard is releasing his own version of "Imaginos" soon called "Re-Imaginos". I believe it is the original recording that he tried to sell to Columbia which eventually became the somewhat truncated Blue Oyster Cult version.

I just saw on Facebook that Albert Bouchard is releasing his own version of "Imaginos" soon called "Re-Imaginos". I believe it is the original recording that he tried to sell to Columbia which eventually became the somewhat truncated Blue Oyster Cult version.

The eons are closing
    I would be into that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I would be interested in hearing it but I would like it even better with Buck on lead guitar
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here it comes, people: "The Alchemist"!

And there it goes....

I figured that would happen. That guy's not connected to the band.