Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Does anyone here think that BOC will wind up like Yes, continuing when all founding members have left or died?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Does anyone here think that BOC will wind up like Yes, continuing when all founding members have left or died?
    That's a good question. Personally, having no actual information one way or the other, I have kind of assumed they would continue on. Or at least attempt to.
    <sig out of order>

Certainly not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine them continuing without Eric or Buck, but after all, they could give the rights to Richie Castellano if they want the brand to live on.

Nope. They still have two original members: Both are the lead vocalists (and one's the lead guitarist). They'd have three original members, but Allen Lanier died. Also, everyone in the original line-up wrote songs.

I have a hard time believing anyone will lower themselves to Yes' pityful history.

At least Dr Feelgood (no original member for decades) remains entertaining.

Bloom & Roeser will probably someday call it a day in class, but Al Bouchard could try to screw things up (his latest Imaginos stunt is ridiculous, IMHO)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I have a hard time believing anyone will lower themselves to Yes' pityful history.
    Foreigner. Don't be surprised if Journey does.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Bloom & Roeser will probably someday call it a day in class, but Al Bouchard could try to screw things up (his latest Imaginos stunt is ridiculous, IMHO)
    Al doesn't have the rights to the name. He could still do something like those two guys from Saxon, and call himself Bouchard Oyster Clan, lol.

Al re-doing Imaginos feels quite natural to me, since it was his and Sandy Pearlman's baby for the most part.

No self-respecting Oyster Cultist would pass it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Al doesn't have the rights to the name. He could still do something like those two guys from Saxon, and call himself Bouchard Oyster Clan, lol.
    Or Soft White Underbelly
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or Soft White Underbelly
    Or Stalk-Forrest Group

Oaxaca

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or Soft White Underbelly
    Or Soft White Underbouchard?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    The Richie guy is a great singer, but it doesn't sound like BOC. Just generic pop metal. Oh yeah, IMHO!
    I have to agree. Not a bad song but I didn't hear anything in it that sounded remotely like any past BOC tune.
    <sig out of order>

I think it's fair that Richie gets some lead vocal spots after all the years he's been in the band, and given the band's original habit of letting everyone sing, but I hope that Eric and Buck sing on most of the songs.

Oct 1 and a Harvest Moon out tonight. Think I am going to spin Heaven Forbid.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I have to agree. Not a bad song but I didn't hear anything in it that sounded remotely like any past BOC tune.
    Neither did "Siege and Investiture" off Imaginos.

Al doesn't have the rights to the name. He could still do something like those two guys from Saxon, and call himself Bouchard Oyster Clamshell, lol.
    Ooohhhh!!!... I can't believe you flew by that one unoticed.

Agreed, but then again Don't Fear The Reaper didn't sound like typical BÖC back then either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I agree that it's cool to have the new guys sing, but it's nice in that case if there's at least some elements of the old BOC. Like a riff or chord progression that evokes the "BOC sound" or whatever. Or the lyrics or melody should incorporate that creepy vibe. Or talk about aliens or whatever.

The Siege and Investiture is a good point and I'm sure (now that I think about it) that there are other songs that don't fit that well in the catalog. But at least Siege was part of a larger vision that did involve songs that had the creepy BOC vibe.

I feel Reaper does have continuity when it comes to the creepy vibe.

But if some future version of BOC were to exist with no original voices, no continuity in vibe or lyrics, and sounded like this recent tune I would likely lose all interest.
    <sig out of order>

I've always thought "Siege and Investiture" had a BÖC vibe, although it's technically a Bouchard/Pearlman song performed by guests and studio musicians. It has a magical, dark atmosphere and Al's voice in the choir.

If you guys want an example of a song that really does NOT belong on a BÖC album, revisit the abysmal "Beat 'Em Up" on Club Ninja.

They didn't even write that song! It was previously recorded by Canadian metal songstress Lee Aaron.

If you guys want an example of a song that really does NOT belong on a BÖC album, revisit the abysmal "Beat 'Em Up" on Club Ninja.

They didn't even write that song! It was previously recorded by Canadian metal songstress Lee Aaron.
    Agreed. Possibly the worst tune they ever recorded. The Imaginos album did nothing for me as well. Again, it's all taste. Seven days until the new album is released!!!

I agree that it's cool to have the new guys sing, but it's nice in that case if there's at least some elements of the old BOC. Like a riff or chord progression that evokes the "BOC sound" or whatever. Or the lyrics or melody should incorporate that creepy vibe. Or talk about aliens or whatever.

The Siege and Investiture is a good point and I'm sure (now that I think about it) that there are other songs that don't fit that well in the catalog. But at least Siege was part of a larger vision that did involve songs that had the creepy BOC vibe.

I feel Reaper does have continuity when it comes to the creepy vibe.

But if some future version of BOC were to exist with no original voices, no continuity in vibe or lyrics, and sounded like this recent tune I would likely lose all interest.
    There are quite a few examples of non-BOC like songs. The title track from "Mirrors" comes to mind. Not very BOC like at all (although I have always dug the song). I like the Richie song, but agree that it is very generic.

Agree, an absolutely horrible song.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There are quite a few examples of non-BOC like songs. The title track from "Mirrors" comes to mind. Not very BOC like at all (although I have always dug the song). I like the Richie song, but agree that it is very generic.
    Yeah, that's true.

I've only heard Club Ninja once or twice so can't speak to how those songs fit into the BOC ethos. Seems like a lot of the songs that don't fit the BOC blueprint aren't usually their stronger or more well-loved tunes.
    <sig out of order>