Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Same. Underrated. Club Ninja isn't a bad album, either. It has to contend with what came before (kind of like Rush with Presto and Roll the Bones).
    "Club Ninja" has a few really bad songs on it written by outside writers. "Make Rock Not War" and "Beat Em Up" come to mind, but the rest of the album is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    What “Imaginos” should have been according to Al:

Disc 1 Imaginos:

Les Invisibles
    Imaginos
    Del Rio’s Song
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Astronomy
    I Am The One You Warned Me Of
    In The Presence Of Another World
    The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein’s Castle At Weissiera
    Magna Of Illusion

Disc 2 Bombs Over Germany :

Workshop Of The Telescopes
    The Girl That Love Made Blind
    ME 262
    The Red And The Black
    Cities On Flame
    Shadow Of California
    Half Life Time
    Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
    Career Of Evil

Disc 3: The Mutant Reformation:

Take Me Away
    The Vigil
    E.T.I.
    R U Ready To Rock
    Heavy Metal
    Flaming Telepaths
    Gil Blanco County
    Redeemed

I have also seen another version of this somewhere on the net that included "When The War Comes" from "Club Ninja", but I don't remember where it fit in. Seems like there were one or two other songs as well.
    I remember seeing that list (or one similar to it) on a website somewhere, as I Recall some of those songs, like Veteran Of The Psychic Wars weren't actually originally part of Imaginos, but Albert including them because "I have no intention of working with Sandy again" and he felt those songs did a good job of filling those gaps in the story line. I guess.

As for Club Ninja, I borrowed them from the library a long, long, long time ago (like more than 30 years ago). The only songs I remember from it are Dancing In The Ruins (which I've always thought was brilliant) and Make Rock Not War (which I remembe rliking then, but I can hear the chorus in my head, and now it sounds kinda stupid).

"Club Ninja" has a few really bad songs on it written by outside writers. "Make Rock Not War" and "Beat Em Up" come to mind, but the rest of the album is pretty decent.
    Yeah, a clunker. I skip it. But I also skip "Joan Crawford." It's never been one of my BOC faves.

"I have no intention of working with Sandy again"
    So what did Sandy do, besides mix the bass and drums criminally low?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I dunno, I gather he and Albert must have had a falling out at some point in the 90's, so the two of them started developing separate projects based of the Imaginos thing.

Random question from a casual fan (I have Cultosaurus Erectus, Fire of Unknown Origin and a greatest hits comp -- oh yeah, and Buck Dharma's Flat Out). Does "Don't Turn Your Back" remind anyone else of Signals-era Rush or is it just me?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I actually do hear it in the guitar tone and effects. Maybe also with Andy Summers guitar work on the later Police albums too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Random question from a casual fan (I have Cultosaurus Erectus, Fire of Unknown Origin and a greatest hits comp -- oh yeah, and Buck Dharma's Flat Out). Does "Don't Turn Your Back" remind anyone else of Signals-era Rush or is it just me?
    I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, yes it does remind me of Signals era Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Well, it's worth noting that Fire Of Unknown Origin came out a full year before Signals.

This might not be available to non-subscribers but what the heck. Excellent look at the background of Imaginos.

https://medium.com/@drankf/imaginos-...e-b90d41ee7119
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Holy Thread of Unknown Origin, Batman!

This thing was buried for 7+ years??
    HA! I was browsing through old threads and almost replied to one of the original posts from 2012 and thought “Eh, mebbe not!” Lol.

I love the first 3 albums and have a soft spot for AoF as I was a 16 yr old working in the local record store when it came out.
    The early albums were pretty original and imaginative.
    After “Reaper” was such a huge hit, they never were really the same entity aesthetically speaking and it seems like they followed the same failed formula that befell many interesting bands that suddenly had a big hit single and a fanbase split between the old guard who worshipped their early “classic” period and the new more mainstream listeners...
    -Try to replicate the new success with more commercial leaning releases
    -Have mixed/limited success in doing so.
    -Hits dry up as does mainstream interest so then make subsequent albums that superficially harken back to the old sound while still harbor dreams of perhaps another commercial success. This usually satisfies neither camp and eventually get dropped by their label.
    -Legacy/nostalgia act with occasional releases of new material often touted as “a return to form” based on one or two decent tracks.

New album this Fall! It's titled The Symbol Remains.

blueoystercult_thesymbolremains-post.jpg

New album this Fall! It's titled The Symbol Remains.

blueoystercult_thesymbolremains-post.jpg
    They just released a new live album too. I have it ordered, but don't have it yet.

They just released a new live album too. I have it ordered, but don't have it yet.
    I preordered the latest live DVD/CD from the O2 in London. They played the entire first album. Of course I’m waiting for the new album later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Well, remember that Imaginos was supposed to be a Albert Bouchard solo album. Albert and Sandy started working on Imaginos in 1984, but the record company rejected it. Then as time went on, Sandy took the tapes of the Bouchard solo album, which was only half finished, and brought them to Eric and Buck, with the intention of it being finished as a BOC album. Albert, naturally, was pissed about this, and sued the band and Sandy over the situation. And apparently, Albert never got over what he felt was Sandy double crossing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Albert Bouchard had been completely excluded from the retooling of the album for contractual reasons, but hoped to have his long work rewarded with a credit as co-producer, and to be paid accordingly. After the disbandment of Blue Öyster Cult, he contacted the other band members in an attempt to organize a 1987 reunion tour, with the original line-up, to promote Imaginos. His economic and membership requests were both rejected, due to resistances within the label and within the band, so he filed a lawsuit in 1989 against the management of Blue Öyster Cult and Columbia Records to receive payment for his work. The lawsuit was settled out of court, but his resentment towards Sandy Pearlman for what he felt was a theft of his work never eased, eliminating any chance of future collaborations for the completion of the Imaginos saga.

Cool cover!
    <sig out of order>

October 9 will be a beautiful day!

I first saw Blue Oyster Cult with Nazareth circa 1974----a year later I saw them in Germany with Kin Peng Meh--- then I believe it was 2012 with Styx---for gratis as I was a volunteer usher at our local Musikfest---They were tight each night so I know I did right

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Nobody's mentioned my favorite of their albums, Imaginos. It's a solid album, with several interesting guests (e.g., Joe Satriani), and the songwriting is as good as ever they got.

In my opinion.
    One of my favorite guests on the album is vocalist Joe Cerisano, who sings "The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria". Joe has such an interesting career, mainly as a very successful session guy. In the early '80s, he had a band with Earl Slick called Silver Condor and they had a big hit with "You Could Take My Heart Away". In 1984, he auditioned for and was asked to join Black Sabbath as their lead singer, which he turned down. A couple years later, he was the lead vocalist on "Hands Across America". In the early 2000's, he recorded and toured with Trans-Siberian Orchestra and later went out as a guest vocalist with The Wizards of Winter. I have had the great pleasure of meeting him a few times and seeing him perform solo. He has stories upon stories. The funny thing is, he made the most money in his career from singing jingles, many of which we probably heard (Sprite, Miller Beer, US Navy, etc). Nowadays he gives vocal lessons and works with a School of Rock in North Jersey.

I've always loved that Frankenstein tune.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    One of my favorite guests on the album is vocalist Joe Cerisano, who sings "The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria". Joe has such an interesting career, mainly as a very successful session guy. In the early '80s, he had a band with Earl Slick called Silver Condor and they had a big hit with "You Could Take My Heart Away". In 1984, he auditioned for and was asked to join Black Sabbath as their lead singer, which he turned down. A couple years later, he was the lead vocalist on "Hands Across America". In the early 2000's, he recorded and toured with Trans-Siberian Orchestra and later went out as a guest vocalist with The Wizards of Winter. I have had the great pleasure of meeting him a few times and seeing him perform solo. He has stories upon stories. The funny thing is, he made the most money in his career from singing jingles, many of which we probably heard (Sprite, Miller Beer, US Navy, etc). Nowadays he gives vocal lessons and works with a School of Rock in North Jersey.
    Joe was also a member of this psych-blues band, which released one record in 1970!

Thanks for posting that

Been listening to Heaven Forbid. There are some heavy songs in this album. Pretty damn good....

Jon Neudorf
    Its an excellent album.