Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 176 to 193 of 193

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

  1. #176
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,588
    Yeah, what I'm hearing is a pretty respectable offering at this late stage. I saw some somewhat recent live clips that were rather cringeworthy.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  2. #177
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,421
    Although I listened to several tracks online before I got the physical CD, this is an album that really comes to life on a good stereo system. I had it cranked in my car over the past weekend and one thing that really stands out is the rhythm section. There is some really fantastic drum and bass work on this album.

  3. #178
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I listened to several tracks online before I got the physical CD, this is an album that really comes to life on a good stereo system. I had it cranked in my car over the past weekend and one thing that really stands out is the rhythm section. There is some really fantastic drum and bass work on this album.
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!

  4. #179
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,946
    Albert Bouchard is guesting on my talk show tomorrow. I will be sure to share the vid here asap.

  5. #180
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Albert Bouchard is guesting on my talk show tomorrow. I will be sure to share the vid here asap.
    Awesome!

  6. #181
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!
    Kind of in the mold of "I Am The One You Warned Me Of" or "Career Of Evil".
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  7. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,421
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!
    I can totally see them opening their shows with that one when they get back to touring. I love it too.

  8. #183
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Kind of in the mold of "I Am The One You Warned Me Of" or "Career Of Evil".
    Agree, it is another song that could fit right into the "Imaginos" storyline.

  9. #184
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,075
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's very well-recorded. I think "That Was Me" might be one of the coolest songs they've ever done. I know that sounds funny but I love that song!
    I love this song too! “When you see a broken bottle of real fine wine...that was me!”

  10. #185
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,946
    Here's my chat with Albert Bouchard today. Enjoy!



    Got MORE Cowbell? We do! For Episode #42 we chat with Albert Bouchard, original drummer for Blue Öyster Cult. He's got a new album called ReImaginos, which is a reworking/recording of the legendary BOC album Imaginos. We dig into the making of that and it's vids and how it differs from the original BOC version. Also, we chat about early influences, concerts, the evolution of drum micing at concerts, and of course, how cowbell wound up on their classic "Don't Fear The Reaper". A cowbell that spawned a pop culture catch phrase that will live FOREVER. Would you believe it almost was....triangle instead?! Also, Albert guests on the new BOC album The Symbol Remains. We'll discuss how that came to be. My co-host this week is my friend Rob Dwyer.

  11. #186
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,421
    Really enjoyed the show today Sean. Speaking of Albert here is the first single from "Re-Imaginos". A re-imagined version of "Workshop Of The Telescopes" as a sea shanty:


  12. #187
    I just finished listening to the entire CD. It's fantastic (except for Stand and Fight). Buck's songs are best, as usual. Great playing from everyone.

  13. #188
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    154
    Finally got The Symbol Remains this weekend. Man, it is awesome. I still haven't heard Curse of the Hidden Mirror or Heaven Forbid (sorry Elias! ) so I can't really say if it's their best since Imaginos. But there is a ton of variety on this album. Bits of metal and hard rock, bits of prog and blues. "The Alchemist" sounds like BOC doing Ghost doing BOC. Or something like that. I concur with the criticisms that there are a few spots that get a bit 80s corporate metal-ish, but not enough to ruin the album for me at all. I still need to spend more time but I'm thinking this will be my album of the year...in a very strange year indeed.

  14. #189
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Finally got The Symbol Remains this weekend. Man, it is awesome. I still haven't heard Curse of the Hidden Mirror or Heaven Forbid (sorry Elias! ) so I can't really say if it's their best since Imaginos. But there is a ton of variety on this album. Bits of metal and hard rock, bits of prog and blues. "The Alchemist" sounds like BOC doing Ghost doing BOC. Or something like that. I concur with the criticisms that there are a few spots that get a bit 80s corporate metal-ish, but not enough to ruin the album for me at all. I still need to spend more time but I'm thinking this will be my album of the year...in a very strange year indeed.

  15. #190
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,588
    Edge Of The World and The Machine would almost be at home on a Glen Burtnik-era Styx album.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  16. #191
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Edge Of The World and The Machine would almost be at home on a Glen Burtnik-era Styx album.
    I can see that.

  17. #192
    I like the new album. It has that diversity that any good BÖC album should have, and the right ingredients are here : Eric's voice, Buck's voice and guitar, and Richie Castellano brings a lot of things to the mix. Richie has provided a new Cult classic with "The Alchemist".

    On the minus side, there's a 80s AOR tendency that I could live without (and let's not speak of the "Stand and Fight" chorus), but it does not drown the album. Sound-wise, there's a bit too much reverb and compression for my taste, but once again it does not go too far.
    Like Plasmatopia wrote, I think it's a pretty respectable offering, and I'm glad to hear some fine BÖC material in 2020. I had lost hope years ago.

  18. #193
    let's not speak of the "Stand and Fight" chorus
    I enjoy the heaviness and groove of the song, but yeah, that chorus is pretty dumb.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •