Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: The Blue Öyster Cult thread: The light that never warms

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I haven't heard all of Reimaginos yet, maybe about 75%, but I like these versions. Some songs could have benefitted from getting some different singers in, but I like the vibe.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Does Bouchard sing on all of them? Because his voice seems really weak on what I've heard...
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

I like what I've heard from Re-imaginos so far, but Al has never been a great singer IMHO. I think he knows his limitations, and worked the songs around them, but I was wondering if he had invited other singers, at least for harmonies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I got the Albert CD the other day, but have not had the chance to give it a listen yet.
    Looking forward to your remarks. I like the song that was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I like what I've heard from Re-imaginos so far, but Al has never been a great singer IMHO. I think he knows his limitations, and worked the songs around them, but I was wondering if he had invited other singers, at least for harmonies.
    Who else plays on it?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Looking forward to your remarks. I like the song that was posted.
    I finally got the chance to give this a good listen today. Let’s address the elephant in the room first…….Albert’s voice. Even back when he was in B.O.C. his voice was the weakest of the 4 guys who sang most of the leads. His voice has not gotten any better. I noticed it right off the bat with this album, but I have to say that I kind of got used to it after a while, so it did not bother me that much. Albert’s concept for Imaginos changes around the song order to what he originally intended and adds a few songs that were not on the B.O.C. version. Some of the songs are completely re-worked and some are similar to what were on the B.O.C. album. I think most of the re-worked songs work well. I think this is an album that I am going to have multiple listens for it to really grow on me, but my first impression is good, and I am definitely going to give it additional listens.

I finally got the chance to give this a good listen today. Let’s address the elephant in the room first…….Albert’s voice. Even back when he was in B.O.C. his voice was the weakest of the 4 guys who sang most of the leads. His voice has not gotten any better. I noticed it right off the bat with this album, but I have to say that I kind of got used to it after a while, so it did not bother me that much. Albert’s concept for Imaginos changes around the song order to what he originally intended and adds a few songs that were not on the B.O.C. version. Some of the songs are completely re-worked and some are similar to what were on the B.O.C. album. I think most of the re-worked songs work well. I think this is an album that I am going to have multiple listens for it to really grow on me, but my first impression is good, and I am definitely going to give it additional listens.
    One quick addition to this. Last night after I had written the above, my wife and I were in the car and I had the Albert album playing. She is listening and goes "don't you think this guy sings off key a lot?" So.......there ya go....

When I first heard BOC's Imaginos album in 88, I thought Albert sang on "The Siege and Investiture..." and I said to myself "Wow, he has grown into a good singer !"

I somehow like his voice for what it is, but the idea of a whole album with him singing... well, a bit off key, makes me hesitate.

Listening to Symbol on the big rig in the living room while working on the laptop. Boy, I wish the old black and white trilogy were produced with this much muscle and sinew. The bottom end is substantial and the guitars have some truly heavy tones. "Stand and Fight" has that goofy chorus but the thick chords are just so fucking metal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Right now my favorite song is The Alchemist. I also like Secret Road. They’re all good!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Right now my favorite song is The Alchemist. I also like Secret Road. They’re all good!
    Like both of those a lot too. Richie's "The Return Of St. Cecelia" is a good one too. Very clever to do a sequel to the old Stalk Forest Group song.

There are a lot of little nods to the past on the album, especially from Ritchie Castellano. I think it's clever indeed and it helps to meld the new and the old components.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Three faves, if I can even narrow them down (not easy), are "That Was Me," "The Alchemist" and "Nightmare Epiphany." Just a rad album, all around.

New video from Albert;

New video from Albert;

He could use a little auto-tuning, huh?
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    His voice is........yea, not so good. As I think I mentioned earlier when I listen to the album as a whole, I kind of get used to it, but his voice has some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post