Thread: Visiting Montreal- Suggestions?

Visiting Montreal- Suggestions?

Hi folks,

I will be visiting Montreal in a couple of months, and I would like to get some suggestions regarding restaurants, bars, and historic places to visit. Unfortunately I am attending a John Mayer concert as well (ugh, my girlfriend), but I need to find something fun to do for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Montreal is famous for its many restaurants where women dance entirely naked while people watch and eat French fries with cheese and gravy. Have a great time!

Be careful of the adult entertainment establishments - - - everything may not be as it seems.

Bell Centre is fairly centralized.

St-Laurent and St-Denis are hot spots . . . anywhere on St. Catherine's is good too for eats, people watching - and underground access.

Old Montreal/Notre Dame is delightful to explore, photograph, eat, waterfront, etc . . . depends on how much time you actually have.

Subways are an excellent way to get around town . . .

Bring some serious clothing (see-ins you are from Alabama) - - - it's still pretty cold in early spring.

Great town - have fun.

I always hit Gibbys or Vargas for a nice dinner, and it's worth experiencing Schwartz's deli for lunch.

For prog shopping, I always go to Freeson Rock on Mont-Royal E.

There are dozens of other recommendations I could give you, but those are what spring to mind for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Be careful of the adult entertainment establishments - - - everything may not be as it seems.
    Wait a minute...those aren't cheese curds!!

For some reason last time I was in Montreal I didn't find St. Denis, but it was very nice the first time I went - do they still have all those BYOB restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post

Bell Centre is fairly centralized.

St-Laurent and St-Denis are hot spots . . . anywhere on St. Catherine's is good too for eats, people watching - and underground access.

Old Montreal/Notre Dame is delightful to explore, photograph, eat, waterfront, etc . . . depends on how much time you actually have.

Subways are an excellent way to get around town . . .

Bring some serious clothing (see-ins you are from Alabama) - - - it's still pretty cold in early spring.

Great town - have fun.
    Is it really cold in April? I didn't think it would be.

It can be cold in April. April is a very transitional month. Besides, our idea of comfortable will be your idea of cold...

If you have never been here then do the touristy areas like Old Montreal, St-Denis St, Ste-Catherines St, Chinatown, etc.... As far as restaurants go, you can walk into most places and get served very good fare. However, avoid the places that are in the really touristy areas because they are over-priced vs the quality. Not knowing where you will be staying makes it difficult for me to suggest restaurants to you. If you are staying right downtown, and like craft beers, then let me suggest 2 places on St-Denis St: Saint-Bock and Saint-Houblon. Both will serve up some decent grub too.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Jefferson James
    When I visited Montreal I went to St. Patrick's Basilica and purchased, from the church gift shop, a Virgin Mary-shaped plastic bottle filled with Holy Water. On the drive back home, I drank the holy water. It tasted horrible.

I would opt for the curds and adult entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    When I visited Montreal I went to St. Patrick's Basilica and purchased, from the church gift shop, a Virgin Mary-shaped plastic bottle filled with Holy Water. On the drive back home, I drank the holy water. It tasted horrible.

coughblazedcough

Montreal is an awesome city - fantastic food options - including great ethnic options - lots of Vietnamese and Arab places to eat - due to old French colonial influence - plus French food itself of course and interesting Portuguese, Jewish and Indian options too.
    Just checked and one of my faves is closed - the Bosnian restaurant Cafe Sarajevo - which had okay food and sensational music - but this site did offer some other reviews (none of which I can vouch for one way or the other).
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...al_Quebec.html

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

I did the very same thing - except it was Yukon Jack and not for sale at the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Hi folks,

I will be visiting Montreal in a couple of months, and I would like to get some suggestions regarding restaurants, bars, and historic places to visit.
    You probably want to steer clear of the mosques.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Is it really cold in April? I didn't think it would be.
    it's cold anywhere above the Mason-Dixon line in April. When I'd fly from Washington state to Tennessee in the spring, I'd be in short sleeves and shorts when everyone else was still wearing jackets.

Posting so this shows up in my subscriptions. Montreal is on my "someday" list.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't forget to sink your teeth in some Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich (that's about 1000x better than the better NY Pastrami)... Good ol' Ben has been closed for a while, but there were a few places that still survive

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    It can be cold in April. April is a very transitional month. Besides, our idea of comfortable will be your idea of cold...

If you have never been here then do the touristy areas like Old Montreal, St-Denis St, Ste-Catherines St, Chinatown, etc.... As far as restaurants go, you can walk into most places and get served very good fare. However, avoid the places that are in the really touristy areas because they are over-priced vs the quality. Not knowing where you will be staying makes it difficult for me to suggest restaurants to you. If you are staying right downtown, and like craft beers, then let me suggest 2 places on St-Denis St: Saint-Bock and Saint-Houblon. Both will serve up some decent grub too.
    love the names of these places
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If they are still open - I know they moved from Catherine Street - Dunn's is a great place for the smoked meat sandwich, pickle and fries (alas as a vegan i can only enjoy that vicariously now)..

Dunn's is still around. Great place to get a Reuben sandwich!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Don't forget to sink your teeth in some Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich (that's about 1000x better than the better NY Pastrami)...
    As a Jew from the Metropolitan area (NJ/NY) who has eaten deli his entire life and has tried Montreal Smoked Meat...no. Give me my NY style Pastrami any day.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    As a Jew from the Metropolitan area (NJ/NY) who has eaten deli his entire life and has tried Montreal Smoked Meat...no. Give me my NY style Pastrami any day.
    Have you ever had the pastrami at Langer's in Los Angeles? I've only had Katz's and Sarge's in NYC and was unimpressed, and the portions were so small. They were OK but I guess I was expecting pastrami nirvana or something.

Anyway, Langer's #19. It's a $20 sandwich but you'll never forget it. Just curious if you'd tasted the goodness.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Sorry Kerry, I have not had that pelasure, although since a son is now living in Brentwood after graduating from Pomona College in Claremont (home of Rhino records!) I may have that opportunity in the future. For me, it was the Carnegie (recently closed)....

Ah, the Carnegie. I mourn the brisket I will never have again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart