Thread: RIP Mike Connors (Mannix) ...

RIP Mike Connors (Mannix) ...

Honestly,... was there anything more late 60's cool than the opening to the TV series Mannix? Thanks for the memories Mr Connors (aka: Kreker J. Ohanian).
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    Honestly,... was there anything more late 60's cool than the opening to the TV series Mannix? Thanks for the memories Mr Connors (aka: Kreker J. Ohanian).
    Neal Morris, apparently, had the theme song stuck in his head at one time...

One of my mom's favorite shows back when. To be honest, I couldn't have told you he was still alive, but still... RIP Joe.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Lalo Schifrin!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

RIP... also John Hurt

RIP

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I watched Mannix back in the day. Thanks for posting the theme tune, nosebone. I had forgotten how it went. Rest in peace, Mike Connors.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    RIP... also John Hurt
    No! Sad, but time marches on...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We should probably have one RIP thread to handle the loss of actors like these. Lord knows the number won't decrease...

One of the cable TV channels we get was running Mannix last year. I don't think I'd really seen it before (though I think TVLand was showing it at like 2:00am about 15 years ago), but I enjoyed watching it this time around. It was a good show.

RIP Mike Connors, one of the classic TV detectives.

As a kid I watched Mannix with the rest of the family. I think my parents got a little pissed when I pointed out that they recycled the same footage every time there was a car chase. I also seem to remember a scathing review of Styx concert where the reviewer said "these guys look about as authentic as a rock band that would be playing in a bar in an episode of Mannix".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I always got a kick out of how, in most episodes, Mannix would jump out of a moving car, often as it took a curve, rolled around on the side of the road for a while, then got up without his sport coat being mussed at all.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

[QUOTE=Jerjo;663929]
    As a kid I watched Mannix with the rest of the family. I think my parents got a little pissed when I pointed out that they recycled the same footage every time there was a car chase.
    All those shows recycled "action" footage, though. I was watching Emergency! the other day and noticed not one but two shots that I recognized from a few days earlier. Hell, they probably still do that. I think it was on Star Trek: Enterprise where they used they same establishing shot of "Starfleet headquarters" in at least three different episodes (recognizable because you saw the same people walking about each time).

I also seem to remember a scathing review of Styx concert where the reviewer said "these guys look about as authentic as a rock band that would be playing in a bar in an episode of Mannix".
    lol That's actually kinda funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I also seem to remember a scathing review of Styx concert where the reviewer said "these guys look about as authentic as a rock band that would be playing in a bar in an episode of Mannix".
    I wouldn't call the rock band playing in a bar in this episode of Mannix "inauthentic" at all - especially considering who the various members were, and what they went on to do. In fact, for their particular strain of Sixties rock, they were about as genuine as it gets. Even if they couldn't get along for sour apples, stay off drugs, or even keep a stable line-up.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-29-2017 at 04:42 AM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    ^Ahh, the days when cigarette smoking was cool, and good for you. Pretty good bar band.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I wouldn't call the rock band playing in a bar in this episode of Mannix "inauthentic" at all - especially considering who the various members were, and what they went on to do. In fact, for their particular strain of Sixties rock, they were about as genuine as it gets. Even if they couldn't get along for sour apples, stay off drugs, or even keep a stable line-up.
    Presumably the critic who made the original comment didn't know that Buffalo Springfield had appeared on Mannix. I think the point was that back then, when you saw or heard "rock music" on prime time TV, it was generally a sort of watered down version of the music, and if you saw a band supposedly playing live, it was a bunch of guys from central casting who were cast more for their look than their actual musical ability. And often times, it seemed like the music was always brought into it for the purposes of deriding it for no apparent reason.

The critic was presumably suggesting that Styx looked like a bunch of guys who had been cast by some older director who didn't know the first thing about what rock groups "look" like, and just threw a bunch of guys in "mod" clothes or whatever to make them look like his idea of what a "swinging teenage combo" looks like.

Note the above does not include variety shows, where authentic rock groups often times appeared, playing authentic rock music, and presumably dressed in authentic "rock n roll fashions".

BTW, something I found amusing in one episode of Mannix was there was a scene that took place in the Bradys' living room. I mean, seriously, they shot this one dinner party scene on the same set that was used as the living room on The Brady Bunch. Talk about being a bunch of cheapskates!

[QUOTE=Baribrotzer;663993]I wouldn't call the rock band playing in a bar in this episode of Mannix "inauthentic" at all

Tom Skerrit!
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, something I found amusing in one episode of Mannix was there was a scene that took place in the Bradys' living room. I mean, seriously, they shot this one dinner party scene on the same set that was used as the living room on The Brady Bunch. Talk about being a bunch of cheapskates!
    Danged if I can find it right now, but somewhere on youtube there's a clip of Walter Brennan introducing clips from the upcoming TV season for ABC (I think), and he's standing in Rob and Laura Petrie's living room. The strange part? It wasn't for the same network that the Dick Van Dyke show was on.

edit: Here it is. Go to the 5:44 mark.

https://youtu.be/AZupYOmRsb8?t=348
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 01-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I don't know about that. Just look at the singer's teeth--they're crooked--he'd never get picked to be a Monkee!

My dad used to stop whatever he was doing to tune in to Mannix. Goodbye Mr. Connors, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    I don't know about that. Just look at the singer's teeth--they're crooked--he'd never get picked to be a Monkee!
    Bob Rafelson to Stephen Stills: "You're perfect, only your hair and teeth aren't right! Do you know anyone who looks like you, but their hair and teeth are right?!"

(I'm assuming you know that's how Peter Tork got the gig, because Stills gave his name to Rafelson)