Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R.I.P. Mary Tyler Moore

The final MTM episode-

I just watched the last 7-8 minutes and was reminded how funny and emotional this was even all these years/decades later.

One of her last gigs, as Christine St. George on That '70s Show-

Good times.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

David Letterman used to have her on, on a regular basis, back in the 80's. If I remember correctly, she had a short lived variety show in the late 70's, and Letterman was one of the cast members, so I guess whenever he could, he had her on as a guest.

A lot of people don't realize she was Elvis' last leading lady, in Change Of Habit. I remember one of the times Dave had her on, she sort of laughed and said something to the effect of, "Oh, that was terrible, not because of Elvis, though, he was great to work with. The script was just terrible". When she was on Later With Bob Costas, the topic came up, and she said it's the one and only role she's ever done where she doesn't remember a single line of dialog.

She was also on a detective show in the early 60's. I've forgotten the name, but the detective would call into his answering service, where he'd talk this sexy woman. We'd only see her arms, or legs, or things like an extreme close up of her putting on her lipstick (all you'd see is the lipstick and the lips). Well, apparently, that was MTM. Or at least it was until she tried to angle for a pay raise (since apparently she was the reason everyone was tuning in), which backfired and she ended up being replaced.

I remember she was also one of Jay Leno's first guests, right after he hijacked the Tonight Show. She end up tripping and falling as she walked onto the set. Then, like the next night, some comedian was on, and he did the exact move, only on purpose, because he apparently had a huge crush on her when he was growing up and wanted to be able to say he fell in the same spot MTM had.

RIP Mary. I think everyone who grew up or lived through the 70s even as kids respected her. Her show, Bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett were all on together for probably five years or more.

I watched many, many an episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show with my family during its long run in the 70's. It was genuinely funny all of the time, too. RIP Mary. We'll all miss your charm, wit, and... that smile.

One of the funniest skits ever:

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yep, 2017 starting off with a bang. Why would we think otherwise...

im still not sure why some of you guys are surprised that an 80 year old person dies.......yes, it sucks to remind us of our own mortality, but its 2017: for those of you who had icons from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, none of this should be surprising -- put it in perspective: 1967 was 50 years ago...thats half a century........ 2017 is no different than 2016 or the year before that or the year before that: its just the cycle of life moving forward

</soapbox>

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    http://video.startribune.com/james-l...ons/411811876/

A 2017 visit to several of the Minneapolis locations that appeared in the MTM Show.