Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

FEATURED CD: Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Review from Sputnik Music (Cragorio)
    The year is 1973; the progressive boom is already taking place. Pink Floyd release what many consider to be the best progressive album of all time, The Dark Side of the Moon. The cold reality of the lyrics and the use of the mysterious samples raises the bar; a major influence for upcoming progressive artists. Genesis previous efforts contain elements of theatricality, light humour and tales of colourful characters creating the perfect blend of reality and fantasy. With Dark Side of the moon taking the progressive reigns, would Genesis follow suit with their latest offering, Selling England by the Pound? The answer is a resounding no.

Selling England by the Pound’s success lies in its perfect album structure and the bands willingness to experiment with their own unique strengths. Peter Gabriel’s Acapella in the opening number “Dancing with the Moonlit Knight” is a testament to the eccentric artists’ dynamic vocal talent; once again he lives and breathes the characters the band is trying to portray. Steve Hackett’s soft guitar section feels like it could be implemented within any contemporary R&B track (as a sample). The piece then explodes into a rock song not dissimilar from the Rush masterpiece “2112”. Gabriel leads the charge with his powerful voice whilst the band follows closely in suit; This is the most exhilarating section on the album. Phil Collins intense drumming combined with Hackett’s soaring guitar exemplifies the epic nature of this wonderful journey. The piece ends with Hackett’s soft guitar creating the effect of a ticking clock leading the song out. My friends: this is how you start an album.

Peter Gabriel’s outlandish stage performances helped Genesis stand out from the progressive crowd, “I know what I like (in your wardrobe)” is the kind of song where Gabriel is let loose. The song reminds me of a Saturday morning kids cartoon complete with colourful characters and a good dose of injected silliness. Gabriel takes the role of the lawnmower, his vocal performance alongside Phil Collins helps illustrate this crazy town as they chant like school boys and taunt lovers behind the garden wall. The song also contains one of the catchiest choruses progressive genesis has ever conceived. Mike Rutherford’s bouncy bass lines keep the song bobbing along at an incredibly fun pace. This number comes across as a band having a lot of fun; it would become a regular choice for live tours.

Every album masterpiece must have its iconic song. Pink Floyd had “Money”, and Rush had “Limelight” for moving Pictures; “Firth of Fifth is the Genesis answer to that classic. As I mentioned before, every band member is given space to showcase their individual talents and this is the song where it couldn’t be clearer. I ask you; what is better than an ego trip? The answer: 3 ego trips!

The song opens with a beautiful Tony Banks Piano Melody before Gabriel takes up vocal and flute duty. Gabriel’s flute solo provides the soft tone but it doesn’t take long before Banks adds his cartoonish keyboard successfully creating the effect of music that isn’t just progressing, it’s evolving and changing tones whilst still retaining it’s perfectly judged pace. In keeping with the songs evolving sound, Banks passes the musical baton to Hackett who in turn knocks the ball out of the park with his effective guitar tapping technique and general skill which would make David Gilmour blush. The song ends with the opening piano melody rounding out what I consider to be the perfect Genesis song.

The album pace and structure is something that deserves to be highlighted. The songs follow an epic, fun, epic, fun progressive formula which other bands should take note of. Instead of guitar solo wankery ala Dream theatre, Genesis show restraint; they know how to keep their audience listening. It could be argued that a song like “More Fool Me” doesn’t really fit into the progressive Genesis discography, but it allows the audience to breathe and prepare for the next eight minute epic.

Whilst this album does deserve recognition for being possibly the best and most accessible progressive Genesis album, there is a major negative which need to be addressed; this negative goes by the title “The battle of Epping Forrest”. Clocking in at the nine minutes, the song is a mess. Rutherford who had been remarkably consistent throughout the album thus far doesn’t know to support this convoluted tripe. The keyboard parts lack any semi decent hooks because they follow Gabriel’s fast, chaotic lyrics into nothingness. The only redeeming feature is Collins drumming, keeping busy and technically brilliant despite everything happening around him. This song is a blemish on an otherwise superb album.

Genesis’ greatest strength can also be seen as a curse, every band member loves their input maybe just a little too much. Selling England by the Pound benefits from its passionate members but it wouldn’t be too long before Gabriel and Hackett turn solo while Phil Collins discovers he really can sing, thus becoming the master of the love song. Overall the album is a dynamic collection of uplifting songs put together in such a way that it all comes together in the end. Aisle of Plenty brings the album full circle borrowing from the opening songs arrangements. For any music fans wanting to start their progressive journey, this is the album for you. Hell, I didn’t even mention “The Cinema Show”.
    Camples? You don't need no stinkin' camples...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

1. Bought the album.
    2. Saw the show.
    3. Lived happily ever after.

Never heard of it. Is in any good?
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

never mind Genesis but the fact that reviewer said that Pink Floyd DSOTM is a progressive album, outrages

1a to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as far as MY all time favorite Genesis albums go. The band's playing here was tight with each band member shining throughout.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Not only my favorite Genesis album, but my favorite album period. Notwithstanding the reviewers lack of appreciation for Epping Forest, there is not a weak song on the whole album - and plenty of classics. Live versions of some of the songs on Rainbow '73 may be even better.

My first Genesis album, checked out of the local library and loved it so much I had to go buy it.

What a perfect gateway drug to Genesis-land!

Probably still my favorite Genesis album. I love every one of its many minutes...yep, even "The Battle of Epping Forset."

Classic, timeless, essential.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    never mind Genesis but the fact that reviewer said that Pink Floyd DSOTM is a progressive album, outrages
    Oh noes...the Floyd are not teh virtuosoz

/jk!

Probably my favourite progressive album of all, and probably my favourite album full stop. They sounded more confident than ever, the musicianship was at its best yet, the production was by far their best up to that point...and it was their biggest British seller up to that point, without sacrificing their quirkiness in any way.

I love the flow of the album, having a short track follow a long track works perfectly in terms of providing an 'ebb and flow'. Piling epic after epic doesn't really work for me, yet for some 'prog' bands that is a selling point (naming no names!). You need to provide that breathing space IMHO.

Is it Big Big Train ?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Probably my favourite progressive album of all, and probably my favourite album full stop. They sounded more confident than ever, the musicianship was at its best yet, the production was by far their best up to that point
    Agreed! As good as Foxtrot was, SEbtP was a giant step forward for them in every way. I first heard it at a friend's house after we got and it blew my socks off! It was a new release at the time and I went and bought it the next day.

As for "Epping Forest," it wasn't my favorite track off the album initially but it is now. In some ways I think it's the most progressive thing they've ever done.

I think my appreciation of this album suffers because I heard Seconds Out first, and Cinema Show especially blows the version on here out of the water.

I still love the album though...

The only Genesis album I own.
    I like it, but it doesnt make the small hairs on my buttocks burst into flames.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

As for "Epping Forest," it wasn't my favorite track off the album initially but it is now. In some ways I think it's the most progressive thing they've ever done.
    Odd song. I LOVE the studio version, but could never get into the live version of the song especially after seeing The Musical Box perform this song a few years ago. Just embarrasing.

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Is it Big Big Train ?
    No but it was influenced by them. It's a Pre-Neo classic
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No but it was influenced by them. It's a Pre-Neo classic
    That made me laugh.

There's no way to express how important this album was to the development of my aesthetic values. Love every note ... and I still feel a frisson* of anticipation when I hear, "Can you tell me where my country lies ..."

*"frisson" apparently means, "the small hairs on my buttocks burst into flames."
    Gary Chapin

French accordion blog: http://www.accordeonaire.blogspot.com

Aargh, how can I not comment! If I had to pick one, this is still probably my favorite album of all time, in the combination of the note-for-note composition, and the strong, unique, outdoorsy mood that fills the album, unique even amongst the world of prog. Sure, More Fool Me, is a weaker track, but in the context, and because the outdoorsy mood from the vastly different 'Firth of Fifth' is somehow retained, it is entirely excusable. I don't really understand the reviewers' disdain for 'Epping Forest', nor some peoples' for the revered (to me) After The Ordeal, a piece unlike no other. I will still call it the most perfect album ever made-from my point of view-because for an album to go from strongly liked to cherished, it must have that mood of being outside, and how Tony Banks (in particular) paints that mood into music is a bit of a phenomenon to me.

My favorite prog rock album. (Also probably the first cd i ever bought in my initial batch.)

Besides the obviously great music, the engineering/mix/sound quality is also terrific (not easy for such a long length record back in 1973). Even the cassette version of this one sounded good. (And i still prefer the cassette's running order: side one: DWTMK, IKWIL, MFM, TBOEF; side two: FOF, ATO, TCS/AOP.)

Funny true story: many, many years ago i was at Club Med on the island of Guadalupe, and one of the locals/workers stole this cassette version from me--i didn't mind, it was only the cassette after all--and i often wondered if he enjoyed it and imagined him playing amongst the local music, soca, calypso, reggae type stuff, etc.?? (don't think he was familiar with the band, just saw the opportunity to grab a cassette that was left laying there.)

Read a positive review in "Circus Raves" magazine back in the day...went out and bought the album never having heard a note. My favorite album from any prog band, ever. Shaped my musical taste for years to come.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Robert Christgau actually sort-of liked it! He had to be a pretentious, wordy dickhead about it, but of course, but he actually sort-of liked a Prog record! (and no, I have no fucking clue what Mr. Ten-Dollar Word was trying to say.)

The best rock jolts folk-art virtues -- directness, utility, natural audience -- into the present with shots of modern technology and modernist dissociation; the typical "progressive" project attemts to raise the music to classical grandeur or avant-garde status. Since "raise" is usually code for "delegitimize," I'm impressed that on half of this Peter Gabriel makes the idea work: his mock-mythologized gangland epic and menacing ocean pastorale have a complexity that's pretty rare in any kind of art. Even more amazing, given past performances, organist Tony Banks defines music to match, schlocky and graceful and dignified all at once -- when he's got it going, which is nowhere near often enough. As for the rest, it sounds as snooty as usual. B

- Robert Christgau

Genesis generally did get decent reviews back then, when I look back at the rock press of the time there are various examples of that- regardless of a claim made that only one journalist liked them on another thread. That all changed with punk, as I said on that thread I personally believe that the backgrounds of some people in the band didn't help with that...and what some (though not me) perceive as a slide towards the 'middle of the road' further into Collins' tenure as vocalist. No, there were other bands far more hated in the music press in the pre-punk 70s- Queen for instance, and Led Zeppelin also took a hammering from some writers.

And 'Epping Forest'? I love it, I definitely don't think it's meant to be taken seriously given Peter Gabriel's hammy vocal performance in certain moments! And I think musically it flows pretty well actually, I think the problem people have with it is more the lyrics than the music.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.

This was my introduction to Genesis.

Bought the album after hearing some of the cuts on the radio. Went to the Toronto appearance of the band on the tour, went out the next day and bought the whole back catalogue except for From Genesis to Revelation.

Was a huge fan up till Trick and not so much after, although for a popish band Genesis was still pretty good.

Love Gabe era Genesis so much I've seen The Musical Box nine times.

DtB

I tend to agree with the chapter in the Macan ("Rocking the Classics") book regarding critical response to Prog. It's far too involved to get into here, but it's one of the strongest parts of his book, IMHO.

I don't think I would have been able to get into Genesis had I started with a different album. I like "The Battle" too, especially for the middle part! One of the few times Gabriel truly lived up to all the hyperbole. Still one of my top prog albums even though I haven't listened to it in years...I guess now is the time.

Excellent album, a desert island disc. I could do without "More Fool Me" but it's short. And, yes, I like "Epping."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.