Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kraan - Live

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Of course I may be a bit biased, but……..although I enjoyed the NEARfest performance I think it pales in comparison to their appearance at ProgDay in 2002. I know there are quite a few people here on this board that were at both shows and I would be interested to see how other people remember it. Anyway…….the ProgDay performance by Kraan, remains one of the festival’s all-time great shows, and that is saying something for a fest that has been around for more than 20 years. It is rare that a band at a prog festival can get an entire audience up on their feet clapping along, but that is exactly what Kraan did at the highest attended ProgDay in history. It was one of those magical moments in my concert going life. Going into it I had never heard of them before. Michael Bennett brought them up on the band selection committee, and I was like “Kraan who?” But like you, after hearing “Kraan Live” I was immediately hooked.

As for their albums, like others have mentioned, all of their live ones are worth owning. They are all really good with varied lineups. If you are looking for a good compilation “The Famous Years Compiled” is a very nice overview. I am also partial to the studio album “Soul Of Stone”. It is not perfect, but is a quirky collection of mostly cool songs that don’t sound like anyone else. I also have a soundboard recording of that ProgDay performance. I put it on every once in a while to take me back down memory lane.
    I was at both. The ProgDay 2002 show was quite an odd phenomenon. We had been pushed into a high school auditorium due to very bad weather. That also, removed all the food and alcohol from the event. That didn't stop Kraan. They came on and just ripped the place up. They were energetic and personable and very light-hearted. It was impossible to keep yourself from clapping and grooving with Helmutt and the boys. They blew me away that day and sealed the deal for Rob and I to invite Kraan to a future NEARfest. Due to a lineup cancellation, we were able to extend that invitation for NF 2003 - and they didn't disappoint. It was awesome to see them on the big stage at the Patriots Theater plowing through some of the same favorites that were played at PD the year before, plus a few new songs from "Through".

Incidentally, as "odd" as PD02 was from a venue standpoint, the performances that weekend were outstanding (and that's what really counts). The standouts for me were Kraan, Avant Garden, Djam Karet and Happy the Man. I had never heard of AG and they slaughtered the place with high energy sax-infused, riff-laden heavy rock/fusion. IZZ also deserves a major shout-out, btw. The power went out during their set and instead of being discouraged, Tom and John Galgano sat on the front of the stage and led the band in acoustic versions of a few songs. Major class and stuff of ProgDay legends.... like Paul Sears getting tossed in the pool.
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 01-24-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I was at both. The ProgDay 2002 show was quite an odd phenomenon. We had been pushed into a high school auditorium due to very bad weather. That also, removed all the food and alcohol from the event.
    We couldn't take anything inside the school, but it seemed like the rules didn't apply to the parking lot. I remember the tents that are normally used as sun-blockers being used to keep the rain off of a couple cook outs. And lots of people drinking beer, which looking back on it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do in a high school parking lot. But no one from the school gave us any grief over it.

By the time of the Sunday night headliner band (Happy the Man) the rain had let up, so I sat outside and listened to a very muffled version of their set through the front doors and smoked the cigar I had brought along. Which was probably also strictly speaking not allowed.

That IZZ power outage was definitely a highlight. It just felt like another omen that the weekend was going to be a disaster, but the band wasn't phased at all - they just moved as close to the audience as they could and improvised an "unplugged" set that included a couple Beatles covers and an acoustic guitar solo that sounded like it should have come from Steve Howe.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

I just looked to see if I have that Kraan ProgDay set on my MP3 player (huzzah, I do) and was reminded that 2002 also featured an amazing Friday night preshow at Local 506. That entire evening is high on my list of all-time favorite concert experiences. Dark Aether Project opened the show by playing their new album "Gentle Art of Firewalking" album in its entirety, then Smokin' Granny put on a set that was so good Brian Preston briefly toyed with the idea of releasing my audience recording as an "official bootleg". French TV finished things off with an amazing set that concluded with them seguing into the last couple minutes of "Tales From Topographic Oceans", much to the delight of what remained of the audience.

Makes me wish I had a time machine so I could go back and watch it again.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    We couldn't take anything inside the school, but it seemed like the rules didn't apply to the parking lot. I remember the tents that are normally used as sun-blockers being used to keep the rain off of a couple cook outs. And lots of people drinking beer, which looking back on it probably wasn't the wisest thing to do in a high school parking lot. But no one from the school gave us any grief over it.

That IZZ power outage was definitely a highlight. It just felt like another omen that the weekend was going to be a disaster, but the band wasn't phased at all - they just moved as close to the audience as they could and improvised an "unplugged" set that included a couple Beatles covers and an acoustic guitar solo that sounded like it should have come from Steve Howe.
    True, although alcohol was not allowed in the venue, there was plenty of partying going on in the parking lot the whole weekend under the tents in the rain. If I recall there were some issues with some of the bands wanting alcohol back stage which could not be allowed due to it being a high school which was a bit of a hassle. Overall the school was very cool about the parking lot situation, but I have often wondered what the principle and students thought when they arrived on Monday morning as every trash can in the vicinity of the place was packed full of beer bottles and cans.

I also remember that IZZ set very vividly. They were total pros when the power went out, and won over a lot of people that afternoon.

I was at both. The ProgDay 2002 show was quite an odd phenomenon. We had been pushed into a high school auditorium due to very bad weather. That also, removed all the food and alcohol from the event. That didn't stop Kraan. They came on and just ripped the place up. They were energetic and personable and very light-hearted. It was impossible to keep yourself from clapping and grooving with Helmutt and the boys. They blew me away that day and sealed the deal for Rob and I to invite Kraan to a future NEARfest. Due to a lineup cancellation, we were able to extend that invitation for NF 2003 - and they didn't disappoint. It was awesome to see them on the big stage at the Patriots Theater plowing through some of the same favorites that were played at PD the year before, plus a few new songs from "Through".

Incidentally, as "odd" as PD02 was from a venue standpoint, the performances that weekend were outstanding (and that's what really counts). The standouts for me were Kraan, Avant Garden, Djam Karet and Happy the Man. I had never heard of AG and they slaughtered the place with high energy sax-infused, riff-laden heavy rock/fusion. IZZ also deserves a major shout-out, btw. The power went out during their set and instead of being discouraged, Tom and John Galgano sat on the front of the stage and led the band in acoustic versions of a few songs. Major class and stuff of ProgDay legends.... like Paul Sears getting tossed in the pool.
    Yes, it certainly was a unique year for sure, but the performances were some of the best. In fact once the chaos of having to move indoors was over with, it ended up being one of the best ProgDay’s ever IMO.

Seen Kraan once in thelate 00's... and they played mostly stuff from their first few albums

AMAOF, the sertlist was not far away from the double Kraan-Live album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I just looked to see if I have that Kraan ProgDay set on my MP3 player (huzzah, I do) and was reminded that 2002 also featured an amazing Friday night preshow at Local 506. That entire evening is high on my list of all-time favorite concert experiences. Dark Aether Project opened the show by playing their new album "Gentle Art of Firewalking" album in its entirety, then Smokin' Granny put on a set that was so good Brian Preston briefly toyed with the idea of releasing my audience recording as an "official bootleg". French TV finished things off with an amazing set that concluded with them seguing into the last couple minutes of "Tales From Topographic Oceans", much to the delight of what remained of the audience.

Makes me wish I had a time machine so I could go back and watch it again.
    So it's nearly showtime. I'm on stage with my band French TV, and I get down on one knee to adjust the setting on one of my pedals, and RRRIIIP! I SPLIT THE CROTCH OF MY PANTS. Needless to say, I wear my bass a little lower than normal. Great gig regardless, and I sure wish I had a tape of it.

Kraan is a great band. Wiederhören I first had on a cassette and I didn't like it enough to explore them further, basicly because of the vocals. Later I really started to like them and Wiederhören is my favorite.

Love these guys. Hattler does a lot of interesting current music as well. I was really excited to see them at NearFest.

P1080507 (2).jpg Unfortunately, missed the Progday show, thought the NF show was fantastic, but heard from a couple of people that Progday was even better. Seeing them in 74' when the live album was recorded would have to be a top 10 selection if a genie came out of the bottle and did her thing.

My recollection of the NearFest appearance is obnoxiously LOUD guitar.

PD 2002 was way better for me...

David

Btw - the next two concerts Kraan will be a quartet again. Martin Kasper from Hattlers band will join on keyboards.

Kraan Live ca. 1988-89

Kraan Live 1975 is one of those all-time classic German Krautrock-Fusion Lp's. Awesome stuff.

But you have to get the original Intercord cd. The EMI remaster is abysmal.

The trio years albums are amazing, there are 2 releases and except for 2 songs in common, different albums.
    I love this format, sound better than ever.

https://www.discogs.com/Kraan-The-Tr...master/1438089

https://www.discogs.com/Kraan-The-Tr...lease/14366796

The Zugabe CD version has a couple of 'new' great studiotracks too.
    But if you have bought Hattler: Bassball II you have them allready: https://www.discogs.com/Hellmut-Hatt...lease/10407879

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    The trio years albums are amazing, there are 2 releases and except for 2 songs in common, different albums.
    I love this format, sound better than ever.

https://www.discogs.com/Kraan-The-Tr...master/1438089

https://www.discogs.com/Kraan-The-Tr...lease/14366796

This 1975 live record from Kraan is one of my favorite live records ever. I too agree their PD02 performance left the NF one in the dust (the same was true with Trettioåriga Kriget @ PD04). If i'm not mistaking there was even an appearance of the wiener dog onstage with them.

The PD02 experience was a very unique event for sure, never to be duplicated (it even had Roy and Rhea's wedding!). That was possibly my favorite festival weekend of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    This 1975 live record from Kraan is one of my favorite live records ever. I too agree their PD02 performance left the NF one in the dust (the same was true with Trettioåriga Kriget @ PD04). If i'm not mistaking there was even an appearance of the wiener dog onstage with them.

The PD02 experience was a very unique event for sure, never to be duplicated (it even had Roy and Rhea's wedding!). That was possibly my favorite festival weekend of all time.

fZ9Qo8[/video]
    I have a soundboard recording of the PD show and it is every bit as good as you remember it.

I just got Kraan The Trio Years Zugabe in the mail, but I'll be damned if I forgot all about it... haven't played it yet
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

For those who read German

Was wäre die Geschichte der deutschen Rockmusik ohne Kraan? (What would the story about German rock music be without Kraan?)

https://finkenbach-festival.server-m...307-kraan.html

I had never heard of Avant Garden and they slaughtered the place with high energy sax-infused, riff-laden heavy rock/fusion.
    I just happened to steep into the whole Maelstrom release a couple of weeks back - all 57 1/2 minutes of it - and I honestly have to say that this is some of the best modern heavy jazz-rock I heard. There were plenty of other solid acts attempting a reasonably comparable formula - Djam Karet, Atavism of Twilight, Panzerballett, Tryo (and so on) - but to my ears none of them achieved the same level of blissful energy in which sheer enthusiasm and vitality simply permeats every tone of play. You're practically exhausted just from taking in the opening track ("Dragon Feed", is it?), or even halfway through it on arrival of that slow, majestic theme-riff with guitars and alto-sax. In a fair and stylistically exhuberant "prog world", bands like this would have had kingdoms of their own.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM