Thread: Saw Buddy Guy

Saw Buddy Guy

I am a little late on this one, but I saw Buddy Guy at his club in Chicago 2 weeks ago. The man is now 80 years old, but damn if he can’t still tear it up. Buddy still does a 3 week residency in his club every January and since we were going to be in town anyway, decided to check it out. First off his club is much nicer than the last time I was there back in the 90’s. It is really a first class joint, with plenty of great beer on tap. We did not eat there, but all of the food I saw appeared looked really good. We caught the tail end of the opening act (sorry, but did not get them name) who were good. Guy and his band came on about 10:30PM and proceeded to blow the house down for a full 2 hours. He does look a bit frailer than the last time I saw him, but still has plenty of energy. His voice is still in good shape and he appears to have lost nothing on the guitar. Of course towards the end of the show he made his traditional trek through the audience jamming on the guitar and occasionally stopping to sing. My only minor complaint was the set list, as he seems to rely a lot more on covers than he used to. I have many of his albums and would like to have heard a bit more original stuff, but that is a minor quibble. After the show he was just hanging out in the club talking to people and signing autographs. I got my picture taken with him which is now my profile picture on my Facebook page. This man is a living legend and can still deliver the goods. He still tours all the time, so if you like the blues and he comes to your town, it don’t get much better.

The set list is not on “set list fm” so doing this one from memory and it may be a bit off, and probably not in order, and I know I am missing a few:

DAMN RIGHT I’VE GOT THE BLUES
    STRANGE BREW
    HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN
    NINETEEN YEARS OLD
    LOVE HER WITH A FEELING
    BOOM BOOM
    VOODOO CHILD
    I JUST WANT TO MAKE LOVE TO YOU
    SOMEONE ELSE IS STEPPIN IN
    SKIN DEEP

Nice review .

Never been a huge fan but he is one of the greats.

Saw him open for Jeff Beck last summer.
    Great performer.
    The blues are not really my thing, but he is the Blues.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Saw him open for Jeff Beck last summer.
    I did as well...in '69.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I saw Buddy about twenty years ago, part of a blues cavalcade headlined by BB King. Buddy was a terror, just throwing out torrents of notes. Even in a big outdoor setting his tone was razor sharp.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw Buddy about twenty years ago, part of a blues cavalcade headlined by BB King. Buddy was a terror, just throwing out torrents of notes. Even in a big outdoor setting his tone was razor sharp.
    I have seen him 6 times over the years, and he is always amazing. Along with his musical talent he has so much charisma on stage. I also think he has put out a lot of really really good albums as well. Amazing performer who is always on his game.

I was at the show at Legends last Thursday, he is amazing. Plays 2 hours and has a lot fun. He also brings on stage specials guests each night. The night I was there he had 17 year old Quinn Sullivan. This kid is amazing, Buddy found him when he was 9, this kid has a real future. Also on stage was Scott Holt, anothe Buddy Guy protege. Also his son came on stage for a song. If you have a chance to see Buddy Guy, go. I know he is touring as he will be doing the Experience Hendrix shows and is at the Jazz and Heritiage fest in New Orleans.

I'll be seeing Buddy again in a couple months when the Experience Hendrix tour comes to Detroit. Buddy, Billy Cox, Jonny Lang, Dweezil Zappa, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Eric Johnson, etc. Should be damn fun!
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I used to go see Buddy at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, NC about the time Damn Right I've got the Blues came out. He was absolutely incredible. I haven't seen him since he moved up to bigger venues. To see him in a small club is really the best way to experience him. He always has a great band and Buddy brings so much showmanship and, as someone else mentioned, charisma. My favorite electric blues guitarist too.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    I was at the show at Legends last Thursday, he is amazing. Plays 2 hours and has a lot fun. He also brings on stage specials guests each night. The night I was there he had 17 year old Quinn Sullivan. This kid is amazing, Buddy found him when he was 9, this kid has a real future. Also on stage was Scott Holt, anothe Buddy Guy protege. Also his son came on stage for a song. If you have a chance to see Buddy Guy, go. I know he is touring as he will be doing the Experience Hendrix shows and is at the Jazz and Heritiage fest in New Orleans.
    I have seen Quinn open for Buddy Guy twice and agree the kid is the real deal, and is perfectly capable of carrying his own show. His album is quite good as well. He has a very bright future.