Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1517

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    This collaboration between Focus and p.j.Proby surely ranks as one of the most bizarre collaborations of all time, alongside the one between John Denver and the Wailers.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    This collaboration between Focus and p.j.Proby surely ranks as one of the most bizarre collaborations of all time, alongside the one between John Denver and the Wailers.
    Is there any story how it happened,collaboration between Focus and p.j.Proby? I don't know John Denver with the Wailers and didn't find at youtube.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    I don't know John Denver with the Wailers and didn't find at youtube.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s...enver_album%29

Suspended
    The Golden Apples of the Sun

http://rtrfm.com.au/shows/goldenapples

Great bargain set of symphonies, concertos, and chamber works.
    The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic/Douglas Bostock

Sploosh! - Ozric Tentacles from Spice Doubt
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

"Yngwie Malmsteen performing his version of Albinoni's G-minor Adagio live"
    Similar to his performance of this on the G3 DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    "Yngwie Malmsteen performing his version of Albinoni's G-minor Adagio live"
    Similar to his performance of this on the G3 DVD.
    Talking about a WTF-cover.
    Terrible. The guy obviously doesn't know what Adagio means.

Bap - Das Märchen vom gezogenen Stecker Live

No, it aint prog, though yesterday I heard another song by this German group in a prog-show on a Dutch classic rock station, between Pink Floyd and Marillion.
    http://www.arrow.nl/berichten/131/arrow_symfo_mania
    Yes, they messed up the title and the name of the band, but actually the song they played was: Dat däät joot

Suspended
    Knievel - Emerald City

Another band I would never have discovoered without community free-to-air radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Talking about a WTF-cover.
    Terrible. The guy obviously doesn't know what Adagio means.
    Well, he does and he doesn't. He does because the melody and the tempo it's being played at here are actually not far from the original. Are you sure you're both familiar with the original melody and have spotted it at all of the various parts of this performance.

The problem here is that he's making up (relatively) long extra segments here filled with huge number of very fast (extra, made up) notes. Actually, in a spot or two, when he keeps his made-up segments really short, it actually sounds interesting, like during 00:14-00:16 (just two seconds, filled with some neat notes) and 00:22-00:24 (just another two seconds). It's uninteresting and totally unnecessary when he keeps his made-up segments long, like during 00:52-1:05 (a long 13 seconds of unnecessary shredding) and 01:37-01:44 (another long 7 seconds) and 01:50-end (another long unnecessary segment).

It's these *long* shredding segments (that he's putting into spaces between sustained long notes of the original piece) that in effect brings a second and drastically faster tempo (the shredding) into the performance and that's what I too don't find interesting.

He's got two tempos in one piece. When you think of it like that, yeah he doesn't know what Adagio is….but when you think of the original melody and the tempo he's playing that melody at, he does know what Adagio is.

Anyway, as they say in the movie "Amadeus": "too many notes".

...and Marshall stacks.

Christoph Heemann.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Well, he does and he doesn't. He does because the melody and the tempo it's being played at here are actually not far from the original. Are you sure you're both familiar with the original melody and have spotted it at all of the various parts of this performance.

The problem here is that he's making up (relatively) long extra segments here filled with huge number of very fast (extra, made up) notes. Actually, in a spot or two, when he keeps his made-up segments really short, it actually sounds interesting, like during 00:14-00:16 (just two seconds, filled with some neat notes) and 00:22-00:24 (just another two seconds). It's uninteresting and totally unnecessary when he keeps his made-up segments long, like during 00:52-1:05 (a long 13 seconds of unnecessary shredding) and 01:37-01:44 (another long 7 seconds) and 01:50-end (another long unnecessary segment).

It's these *long* shredding segments (that he's putting into spaces between sustained long notes of the original piece) that in effect brings a second and drastically faster tempo (the shredding) into the performance and that's what I too don't find interesting.

He's got two tempos in one piece. When you think of it like that, yeah he doesn't know what Adagio is….but when you think of the original melody and the tempo he's playing that melody at, he does know what Adagio is.

That's exactly what I ment. Yes, the original music is played in the correct tempo, but alas he is still using the piece as a mean to show of, like "look how many extra notes I can play", thus destroying the original feel of the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ...and Marshall stacks.
    The amount of Marshall stacks really is overdoing it. Spinal Tap moment?

That's exactly what I ment. Yes, the original music is played in the correct tempo, but alas he is still using the piece as a mean to show of, like "look how many extra notes I can play", thus destroying the original feel of the piece.
    The first shredding right in the middle, at 00:52-1:05, I can actually tolerate, because 1) it's the first time and 2) happens in an okay spot during a sort of "break" in the melody. So, to me, he's doing okay until 1:37, which means he's doing okay during the majority of this ~2-minute melody, so, to me he's certainly more fine than terrible, overall. I hear the feel of the piece in much of the performance. After 1:37, it goes downhill --- not as much on the DVD. Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree on the overall, because I wouldn't call it terrible.

^
    Just got "You Must be This Tall" the other day. Currently absorbing...

Spinal Tap moment?
    Without Spinal Tap moments, there'd be no rock 'n roll.

Oh wait... was that rock 'n roll?

Genesis-Los Endos

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ^
    Just got "You Must be This Tall" the other day. Currently absorbing...
    I'm still enjoying it after a year or two. I forget when it was released. I've read some lukewarm reviews
    but I don't agree. I think it's a great album!

Phish streaming live from Oregon; first show of 2014 Fall tour- http://mixlr.com/yas-arakawa/
    October 17th, 2014
    Matthew Knight Arena
    Eugene, OR
    Show Time - 7:30 PM PT (10:30 PM ET)

Set 1

Start Time: 8:11 PM PT

Waiting All Night
    Free
    Poor Heart >
    Sample in a Jar
    Strange Design
    Bouncin' Around the Room >
    Reba
    Roggae
    Simple* >
    Maze
    The Squirming Coil

End Time: 9:33 PM PT

Set 2

Start Time: 10:05 PM PT

Carini >
    Plasma
    Farmhouse
    Halfway To The Moon
    Twist
    Crosseyed and Painless
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973