Thread: The Breakfast - Any Fans Beyond Me?

The Breakfast - Any Fans Beyond Me?

Our very own Yves turned me on to this amazing band from New England about 10 or so years ago, and I've been experiencing something of a renewed interest in their music over the last 12 months. These guys have been going since the late 90s, but mainly these days seem to be perfectly happy playing sporadically in their little corner of the US North East. I'm sure to some this will the usual formless, smug jamband nonsense, but to me it's seems astonishing that such incredible musicians are almost entirely unknown - guitarist Tim Palmieri and drummer Adrian Tramontano are absolutely first-rate on their respective instruments. Indeed, Palmieri is one of the most inventive guitarists I've heard in many, many years. Be nice to see these guys get some wider recognition - anyone else into them?

Last edited by kid_runningfox; 01-24-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I'm sure to some this will the usual formless, smug jamband nonsense.....
    If it is, they wouldn't be the first set of top-drawer jazzers who wanted to play for bigger audiences than they could get with yet another version of "All the Things You Are". Although quite a few bands trying to be the next MM&W also find out that do what they may, they're still too hip for the room.

Damn, I genuinely hoped this thread would generate more interest than this. That'll teach me!!

Tim's a great player who also is in Kung Fu, a more funky fusion sound than Breakfast.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Tim's a great player who also is in Kung Fu, a more funky fusion sound than Breakfast.
    Thanks for the info, Chris. Watching that video clip now - I can see I'm going to have to explore further!

I note from the introductions that it's actually three quarters of the Breakfast in that band - bass, drums and guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    .....Kung Fu, a more funky fusion sound than Breakfast.
    Great players and great playing.

But am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with the sax player's stage persona? Every time he opens his mouth, I almost think he should be wearing blackface. Yet I'll bet he's entirely sincere. This is the kind of music he listens to, those are the kind of lines in the kind of voice he's used to hearing off the stage - so that's the guy he becomes when he's performing, and he doesn't see it as disrespectful or parodistic at all. But still: How something looks, how it is taken, matters far more than how it is meant, when it comes to that kind of cultural/political minefield. At least they don't do dance moves like a black funk band might - that would be simultaneously super-entertaining, meant as a completely sincere show of love for their influences, and again, cringingly embassassing.

I've seen The Breakfast over 20 times. I used to stockpile vacation days when they would come out to the Midwest. Great players and super nice guys. Have posted videos here from time to time, but there never appeared to be much interest here, with a few exceptions. I've seen Kung Fu 3 or 4 times, who are also very good, since 3/5 of the band are members of The Breakfast. But both bands are certainly worth checking out.

Needless to say, I'm a fan... here's a great set in front of hardly nobody!

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Mark, you may be interested in Aqueous from Buffalo NY... Cut of the same cloth as The Breakfast but maybe more akin to Umphrey's McGee:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Damn , that vid in the original post is great . I'll have to explore this band some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Needless to say, I'm a fan... here's a great set in front of hardly nobody!

Yes, I have downloaded both of those sets from that gig via YT. It's staple Friday night post-pub viewing here in China!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Mark, you may be interested in Aqueous from Buffalo NY... Cut of the same cloth as The Breakfast but maybe more akin to Umphrey's McGee:

Thanks Yves, will check out in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Damn, I genuinely hoped this thread would generate more interest than this. That'll teach me!!
    I've heard of them but never heard their music. I enjoy some jazzy jam band music so was curious. I was expecting someone to say they like eggs bacon and pancakes as a reply though. Sarcasm usually comes in on threads like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk