Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Request: Pre-Prog Rock Intrumentals

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Link Wray: you need a compilation that has the original recordings of Rumble and Jack The Ripper on it. Pete Townshend once thanked Link for inventing the power chord. I've got a CD that Rhino put out back in the 90's called Rumble!: The Best Of Link Wray, that's a pretty good collection. Apart from having a lot of his late 50's/early 60's singles, it also has a live version of Jack The Ripper from the early 70's, with bass duties being handled by Henry Cow's John Greaves! Shockingly, Link Wray still hasn't been recognize by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Ike Turner: Ike made some great instrumental records, both before and after he met Tina. There's a great CD called Ike's Instrumentals, which is largely a reissue of an album that he recorded in the mid 60's (and despite it being release as an Ike & Tina Turner album, Tina doesn't appear on it at all) plus a few 50's era singles. Ike was one of the first cats to figure out that the Stratocaster whammy bar could do much more than add a little subtle vibrato.
    I just ordered Rumble! and Ike's Instrumentals. I'm looking forwards to hearing them.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned

Well, that Ike disc is a lot to take in all at once, but there are some smokin' tracks on it, and the lesser tracks aren't bad either.

As far as Link Wray goes, he did really get an evil guitar tone early in the game. Very distinctive, so kudos to him. The preponderance of the tracks on the Rumble! The Best of Link Wray discs are instrumental, which is what I was looking for.

Looking back on this thread, I realize I've looking for more of a pre-psych thing too. I'm using this as walk-in/background music at a middle school, and anything good ol' psych, I think will prove more a distraction.

Since I picked up The Big Box of Ventures I've been trying to find more stuff of similar vintage, just so the Ventures won't swamp my playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Well, that Ike disc is a lot to take in all at once, but there are some smokin' tracks on it, and the lesser tracks aren't bad either.
    Been trying to find this compilation on RYM, but no such luck

do you have a link for it?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned

Banned

Last edited by Svetonio; 02-25-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Electric Flag; this is an instrumental cut from the soundtrack of the 1967 film The Trip

Soul Searchin' on "An American Band" is pretty heavy.

Danny Kirwan era Fleetwood Mac has many but "Earl Gray" and "Sunny Side of Heaven" come to mind. "Earl Grey" is almost proto-Hackett.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Been trying to find this compilation on RYM, but no such luck do you have a link for it?
    I can link the amazon page.

Less Rock , there are two excellent excellent instrumental (mostly) acoustic guitar compilations with non-traditional players both released on Transatlantic
    Guitar Workshop 2lp ( released on Cd) including a sidelong piece by David Bedford
    Contemporary Guitar 2lp (unreleased on Cd) including tracks by Gordon Gilltrap and Ron Geesin among others