Thread: Where to start with Anathema?

Where to start with Anathema?

Just discovered them on youtube.

Go backwards from the most recent "Weather Systems' until the style of music changes from the present progressive symph/post prog it is presently to the doom metal band they started as. You'll know when & if to stop.

I came aboard as of when the switch was made, and there are also certainly others who preferred their original incarnation.
    Last edited by progeezer; 01-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I really like the symphonic prog they are currently doing. Any similar bands? I like a lot of recent Katatonia. Is this the natural progression of doom metal bands........to become melodic prog bands as they age?

Quote Originally Posted by airborn View Post
    I really like the symphonic prog they are currently doing. Any similar bands? I like a lot of recent Katatonia. Is this the natural progression of doom metal bands........to become melodic prog bands as they age?
    Just 2.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Jon Neudorf
    My first listen was "Fine Day to Exit" and was hooked. As progeezer stated you need to check out all the more recent albums:

Judgement Day
    We're Here Because We're Here
    A Natural Disaster
    Hindsight
    Falling Deeper

Superb stuff! The only album I have of their doom metal period is Silent Enigma and while I like it is a totally different beast. It is interesting to hear how the band has evolved their craft.

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Have you heard the previous Katatonia - Night is the New Day? Also a fine album.

Regards,
    Jon

I think my favorite is "A Natural Disaster", but all of their stuff is good to great. This is one band that I am surprised no US festival has been able to nab yet. I think their only US tour was an acoustic thing opening for Blackfield a year or so ago.

Steve Sly

Congratulations mate!

You're about to embark on a rewarding musical journey.

Weather Systems is a fine album to kick off with, but imho its predecessor We're Here Because We're Here has the slight edge, because the production by Steven Wilson is immaculate. The sound on the opening tracks of Weather Systems is a little bit muffled (compressed?) but is fine for the rest of the album.

Either way, either album is a good place to start, as some of the WS songs were actually written during the WHBWH recording sessions.

I then worked my way back from A Natural Disaster right back to the first album.

I actually like all of their albums, as each one sounds different and brings something else to the table, and although some current fans dislike the early doom-metal albums, The Silent Enigma is actually an album of strong compositions, very melodic (and no growls!).

And then once you've listended to that lot, you'll be ready for the live album that's coming out soon - I've seen the setlist and it's a cracker.

Big fan here. With the understanding that their sound has changed over the years, I would start with Judgement. Very emotional, epic, and still doomy.

Hard to go wrong with these guys, though.

"We're Here Because We're Here" would get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamusicfan View Post
    "We're Here Because We're Here" would get my vote.
    Yea, that is another good one. Really you can't go wrong with any of them.

Steve Sly

I like Weather Systems but I think We're Here Because We're Here is the better album and the best thing they've done as of yet.

-John

I came across thoem @ five years ago and then wondered why I'd never heard of them before.

I'd go with the view that Weather Systems is a great place to start and work backwards.

Anything from Judgment forward is great....I think We're Here Because We're Here is probably my favorite, but they all have something worthwhile to offer. Prior to that, both Silent Enigma and Alternative 4 are really good from a music perspective (certainly more on the melancholic metal side), but frankly the vocals are terrible.

'Alternative 4' and 'Judgement' are the first albums I heard from the band many years back, and feel it's the best place to start, but you can't go wrong with the new album 'Weather Systems' or the previous 'We're Here Because We're Here'.

I've enjoyed everything they have done since 'Alternative 4' through today. I would say my only disappointment would be 'A Natural Disaster', which was still pretty decent, but just seemed a bit lacking compared to everything else released from 1998 onward.