Thread: What I Like About Music

What I Like About Music

More than anything else, I like hearing something just a little original or different than what I've heard before, even if it's comprised of elements that are familiar but just combined in a new way. That's why songs as disparate as "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by CS&N and "Thunderbuck Ram" by Mott The Hoople and "The Bomber" by The James Gang all make my armhairs stand on end - because they were all unlike what preceded them (to my ears, anyway) when I heard them. My favorite thing about my own band's records are the 15 to 20 seconds on each of the last two that sound, ever so briefly, like nothing in my collection. But the late 60s into early 70s had so many moments like that, it makes me thankful to have been around for them. (as well as wistful for more of that originality today)

Very true. It's awfully hard to be original with the breadth of music already out there.

Dirk Mont Campbell did it.

GREAT example!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Very true. It's awfully hard to be original with the breadth of music already out there.

Dirk Mont Campbell did it.

The wildly original Mahavishnu Orchestra may have indeed been the initial blueprint for The Dixie Dregs but they certainly developed their own unique thing.