Thread: Big Wreck

Big Wreck

Anyone know anything about these guys? They popped up on one of my Pandora stations. They describe them as "neo-prog," but then their "similar artists" are The Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. The track I heard was "Come What May," off of Ghosts. I guess it could be almost neo-prog, but it wasn't very adventurous.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They opened for Dream Theater on the Falling into Infinity tour in 1997.

They're not exactly prog, but more psych-hard rock/post-grunge from Canada.

I dunno, check out some tracks to get an idea.

Their last record "Ghosts" was somewhat lengthly with 13 tracks, but overall it was well received and 1 I will certainly go back to.

Favorites: Making Friends, Hey Mama, Break, My Life, War Baby, A Place to Call Home

Their debut album "In Loving Memory Of..." is a favorite among many.

"The Oaf" "Blown Wide Open" and "Oh My" are among the better tracks.

And they have a new record coming out in the coming on February 3rd titled "Grace Street" which there are already 4 songs on YouTube to check out.

I bought the first album in 1997 when it came out. Saw them twice on the first album tour and twice on the second album tour at Liberty Lunch here in Austin, Texas. Small room and I was about 10-15 feet from their amps. they were truly an awesome band. IMO they are one the few great bands to come out of the 90s that were TOTALLY overlooked and forgotten.

As far as the albums go I would rate In loving memory of... 5 stars, Pleasure and the greed... 4 stars, Albatross... 3 stars, Ghosts... 3 stars, and they have a new album on the way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDmQ...ature=youtu.be). There's a 2 track single from the first album that includes "Ill Advice" and "Still Holding" which are great songs. Both should have been included on the album. If you can find it - buy it. They disbanded after the second record with Ian Thornley going solo. Brian Doherty (the second guitarist) rejoined for the last record.

Buy "In loving memory of" first. Then check out "Pleasure and the greed" and work your way through the rest chronologically.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I loved them back in the day before I discovered prog. I would not call them prog, but they are enjoyable.

I remember them, not prog. However, AllMusic labels Muse as "neo-prog" so basically more proof nobody knows what they're talking about.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

another new track from the upcoming record, "A Speedy Recovery"..might be my favorite of the new tunes.

yeah, I saw them open for DT as well. That hooked me. I think their best may be Albatross. Definitely one of my favorite songs from them, Control, sounds like something Fleetwood Mac would have done. I know that sounds strange, but it's really good. Ian Thornley is the mastermind here. Check out his solo efforts as well.

They get a lot of airplay on the local Classic Rock station here in Central Ontario that I have to listen to on a daily basis at work. ian Thornley is one talented individual I'll say that and I have a soft spot for the first album.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten