Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Iluvatar - Children

FEATURED CD : Iluvatar - Children

A song from this album came up in my shuffle play yesterday. While I have not had the same success with their other albums, Children is the one that connects with me. The songs are well crafted in the neo-prog style with lots of hooks and memorable parts.

Review from ProgArchives:
    ILUVATAR took their name from a character in J.R.R.Tolkien's book called The Silmarillion. I don't know if it's a coincidence that the title of the book has the word marillion in it, but that would be a great reference point in desrcibing this U.S. bands music. This was one of those occasions where I wasn't expecting much from this record and promptly got blown away after one listen. The emotions in this recording are something else, but I like everything about it including the lyrics which are so meaningful and thought provoking. Even the cover art is amazing.

"Haze" begins 30 seconds in with beautiful piano melodies as the rest of the band including vocals come in. The sound becomes more aggressive 1 1/2 minutes in. The drums are crisp, the bass is heavy and the organ is great. I just love their sound. Themes are repeated and the mood changes. Passionate vocals after 5 minutes followed by some beautiful guitar. "In Our Lives" opens with a stunning organ, drums and guitar melody. It settles down as organ then vocals arrive. The sound starts to get fuller. A childrens choir comes in at 2 1/2 minutes sounding incredible. A nice guitar solo follows. You can hear children playing in the background. Some nice bass as the sound builds. The choir is back again followed by some great guitar that goes on and on as drums pound away and bass throbs. "Given Away" is a laid back track that opens with waves of synths as guitar is tastefully played. Reserved vocals come in and a fuller sound 1 1/2 minutes in. So emotional. Drums become quite prominant after 4 minutes followed by an excellent guitar solo. Amazing tune. "Late Of Conscience" opens with a dark atmosphere. Synths and vocals before 1 1/2 minutes. Drums and a fuller sound follow including some raw guitar. Nice synth solo 5 1/2 minutes followed by a guitar solo that soars. Perhaps the best part of the song is the melancholic ending.

"Cracker" is brighter and more uptempo. It kicks butt for the first minute and then vocals,synths and drums create a good melody. Some nice guitar 2 1/2 minutes in and it's even better later at 4 minutes. Check out the organ / bass / guitar melody 5 1/2 minutes in with drums all over the place. "Eye Next To Glass" is different with the almost mono-toned vocals and samples of people speaking in the background as guitar and keys play tastefully. There is some guest flute played on this one as well. Waves of sound and lots of atmosphere before the vocals return 3 1/2 minutes in. After 4 minutes is so emotional as waves of synths keep coming and continue into the beginning of "Your Darkest Hour". Then a great melody of bass,drums and guitar are joined by vocals. Synths washes arrive. I love the calm that arrives 2 1/2 minutes in. Fantastic sound after 4 minutes including an outstanding guitar solo. "The Final Stroke" opens with piano. There is mellotron in this one as well. Guitar shines 2 1/2 minutes in and goes on and on. Piano is back. Synth solo 4 1/2 minutes followed by waves and waves of mellotron / synths until it ends before 7 minutes. Banks-like synths pulse as drums and bass help out. Great section. Solo piano 9 minutes in as drums and bass join in as the sound builds. Ripping organ 10 minutes in as blistering guitar joins in.It settles after 11 minutes with vocals returning before 12 minutes to end song.

This truly is an excellent recording that Neo-Prog fans should enjoy immensely. - Mellotron Storm

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I remember liking this CD, very melodic. I haven't played in ages though. Mellotron Storm's review is excellent - incredibly detailed. I'm in agreement. I guess this is neo but I just think of it as decent music.

Great neo prog album and imo one of the classics of the (sub)genre especially from that time period. Too bad it's no longer in print.

This album still gets airplay here on occasion, alongside the likes of Crucible, Citizen Cain, Tryptic... for whenever I need to scratch that 90s melodic symph itch.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I remember liking this CD, very melodic. I haven't played in ages though.
    Same here, although I hear a track once in a while when it's played on the progressive rock-show Xymphonia ;-)

When I listen to it I like the way the singer puts his emotions in the songs. This gives the sometimes well structured symphonic compositions something extra.
    Haven't heard anything about the new record-deal, which would include a re-release, for a long time.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    As much as I like this release, for me "A Story Two Days Wide" is their masterpiece. I have yet to connect with their much-awaited last studio effort despite multiple listens since release. Enjoyed them at Nearfest! My cuppa neo.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    As much as I like this release, for me "A Story Two Days Wide" is their masterpiece. I have yet to connect with their much-awaited last studio effort despite multiple listens since release. Enjoyed them at Nearfest! My cuppa neo.
    I would also agree that "A Story Two Days Wide" is their best. I do like "Children" as well though. Great stuff.

"ILUVATAR took their name from a character in J.R.R.Tolkien's book called The Silmarillion."

Hmmm...that wasn't just a character. Iluvatar was the name of god in the book.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Does anyone know if this is(or is suppose to be)a concept album about children?

Have to pull this one out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A song from this album came up in my shuffle play yesterday. While I have not had the same success with their other albums, Children is the one that connects with me. The songs are well crafted in the neo-prog style with lots of hooks and memorable parts.
    A Story Two Days Wide is the only one I ever found kinship with. The other ones just kind of go in one ear and out the other. ASTDW, while far from the most challenging music ever, offers some wonderfully tuneful melodies (“Dreaming With the Lights On,” “Holidays and Miracles” and “Better Days” in particular) and one spectacular epic in “Indian Rain.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I read awhile back that iluvatar was planning on remastering their back catalog. Hopefully that's still in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I read awhile back that iluvatar was planning on remastering their back catalog. Hopefully that's still in the works.
    Not sure if it needs re-mastering as much as it just need a reprint. They sounded fine to me. This and Two Days are my favorites. I sadly never got into the last one even though I really wanted to.

Found the thread about the re-release of the back catalogue: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=iluvatar

Latest news at all on http://10trecords.com/ is from July 2015, which doesn't look promising.

Maybe this was posted before: Iluvatar released a couple of Making Of-video's on their youtube-channel. Here's one:

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    +1

If I'm not mistaken all but their most recent one is oop.

I emailed Greg Walker about this earlier in the year and he didn't hear any updates about it either. I guess it has been put on hold(kind of like the vapor trails remix which did eventually happen).

I like these guys very much. Very melodic and the two songs here feel like the song writer knows what he's doing.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

This was one of the earlier explorations into the world of prog for me and it still resonates. This and the next one are both solid 90's symph albums in my book. In fact, I'll spin "Children" now.

Children was their best. Exodus from previous album was great as well. But after that it all went down hill pretty quick. IMHO of course...

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Maybe this was posted before: Iluvatar released a couple of Making Of-video's on their youtube-channel. Here's one:

awesome footage! Morekas seemed a bit disconnected and that Chambers drummer was seriously good

Yet another album I had digitized and then lost in the great hard drive crash of 2015. Guess I better track it down again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quite a bit better than average neo-prog.

Last time I listened to it, only about half of it connected with me. But that half was really good.

I'll have to give it another listen very soon.

I bought "A Story Two Days Wide" as soon as it was released, and didn't like at all.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Jim Rezek was a long time PE member. That he has not chimed into this thread tells me he must have moved on...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

A stonkingly good album.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Not sure if it needs re-mastering as much as it just need a reprint. They sounded fine to me. This and Two Days are my favorites. I sadly never got into the last one even though I really wanted to.
    Not trying to convince you, but I thought the most recent one was excellent.