Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 135

Thread: Can Prog Fusion Make a Comeback?

  1. #51
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    ^^^^

    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  2. #52
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Isn't live performance really the key to the kingdom? I mean if you don't bring it out live, then it remains underground.. in the basement etc.
    Some music is "studio music" and would be hard to or impossible to perform live. Other music sounds great live but gets boring on record, without the visuals.

    I think there's room for both extremes in this world.

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Some music is "studio music" and would be hard to or impossible to perform live. Other music sounds great live but gets boring on record, without the visuals.

    I think there's room for both extremes in this world.
    Good point.

    Then there's also examples of bands who are/were studio-centric, like Steely Dan in the latter half of the 70s. Purely a studio project band during that time, and a great one IMO. They made some classic albums.

    And going in the opposite direction, bands like Phish who thrive in a live setting but whose studio albums (to some degree at least) don't quite capture their essence. YMMV, of course.

  4. #54
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Isn't live performance really the key to the kingdom? I mean if you don't bring it out live, then it remains underground.. in the basement etc. Tons of "prog" artists making laptop recordings that are often now just uploaded somewhere. Sure some people find it and enjoy it, but what about really bringing music out to the people?
    Not just "prog people" but everyone. There was a time when "normal" people enjoyed a vast array of music including what we now call prog, art rock, fusion, improv etc. There is so little diversity in the scene today with electronica just wolfing up everyone attention and most all other genres are just laying down and pandering to it to some or varying degrees.

    The argument I keep hearing is people won't come out, or you have to play covers or tribute bands etc. This is what really needs to be addressed if today's deplorable live music scene has any chance of a brighter future.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Music is setting records for downloads and the numbers of bands and amount of releases coming out every day.

    What's to come back FROM? Making money for mega-conglomerates?

    To get music listeners in general to come out and enjoy live (not computer generated) music in a natural way.... meaning they actually really like the music. Like it the way they used to in the 1970's.... an actual scene that extends beyond just the music itself.

    Would jazz fusion not be an introduction to what most refer to as progressive rock?

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    The problem today is not that there are not enough of proggy fusion bands; problem is actually that there are few listeners for a bunch of great new bands and solo artists who play fusion.
    Correct

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I never knew it went away.
    Then go out and see some live prog fusion this weekend that is drawing a crowd where everyone is digging the music and the scene and report back to us Monday.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Then go out and see some live prog fusion this weekend that is drawing a crowd where everyone is digging the music and the scene and report back to us Monday.
    Well, in reality, it always was / is that only in the big centers like New York City, Los Angeles, London, Paris, and Tokyo, you can just walk out of your home, sit in the car and drive yourself downtown at some proggy fusion concert any weekend.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-14-2017 at 04:21 PM.

  9. #59
    Member mnprogger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    654
    The Pneumatic Transit

    https://thepneumatictransit.bandcamp.com/releases

    highly influenced by Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson among others.

  10. #60
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The Pneumatic Transit

    https://thepneumatictransit.bandcamp.com/releases

    highly influenced by Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson among others.
    That was fun. Do they play out?
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  11. #61
    Member 2steves's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC and RBK, NY
    Posts
    206
    well come back? was it ever here? lol

    for me it's one of my top 3 type of prog---if you can call it that---so I hope it catches on
    rather listen to it than cross over or cheesy AOR prog or whatever

  12. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That was fun. Do they play out?
    That's the million dollar question.

    The recordings have all been manipulated to death in a computer workstation environment. Something Mahavishnu never did, nor needed to... nor would you want that. Cobham's kit sounded like a real drumset being played, or really overwhelmed... because it was, not a stream of compressed gated samples, triggers and quantization. I would think people here can tell the difference.

    All the manipulation and processing strips the recording and the musicians of their musical souls and life force.

    Mahavishu had unbelievable energy, charisma, and captivated audiences by the tens of thousands touring and bringing it in a way no other band could at the time, before or even after.

    Point being, this is what needs to happen to get people excited about fusion in a real way.

  13. #63


    The real deal...

  14. #64
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,282
    Ironic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bloomington Minn, USA
    Posts
    211
    C',om on man! It certainly isn't from lack of trying, these are all pretty contemporary recordings. And skipped past twice as many to compile this list.
    Snarky Puppy
    Chon
    Tauk
    7 for 4 - Germany
    Accordo Dei Contrari - 2014 - AdC
    BCTD-2016-Sessions At The Cave II
    The Bob Lazar Story - 2015 - Self Loathing Joe
    CBDB - Joyfunk Is Dead (2015)
    Elephant9
    European Mantra
    Felix Lehrmann's Rimjob - Felix Lehrmann's Rimjob (2011)
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    FORQ. Batch. 2015
    Garage Mahal
    Gidi Derzy - The Anunnaki Project. 2016
    Grand General - Grand General (2013)
    Hectic Watermellon - The Great American Road Trip
    Helmet of Gnats
    Impact Fuze - Moscow
    Jaga Jazzist
    Kick the Cat
    Marbin
    Mats Oberg & Morgan Agren
    Mindflowers
    Mörglbl Trio, Ze
    OHM
    One Shot
    Optimystik Visionaries – Optimistic Vision
    Pandora Snail
    Planet X-Derek Sherinian
    Residence Of The Future
    Satelliti-2013-Transister
    Slivovitz
    Special Providence
    The Gourishankar
    The Renegades
    Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
    Alex Argento
    Alessandro Bertoni
    Ed Aguiar
    Kinsey, Scott
    Larsson, Lalle
    Turcio, Phil
    Visa Oscar Group. Fusion Treatment. 2015
    Aliano, Sam
    Borlai Gergő
    Donati, Virgil
    Holmes, Rodney
    Lang, Thomas
    Minnemann, Marco
    Persini, Sebastian -
    Phillips, Simon
    Stevens, Vic
    Antoine Fafard
    Riendeau, Ray
    Garcia, Al
    Garsed, Brett\
    Hallebeek, Richard
    Guillermont, Marc
    Hinds, Allen
    Neander, Ali
    Rivers, Endel
    Tohpati -
    Watson, Dean
    Yaan-Zek, Phi
    Apetrea, Coste

  16. #66
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,909
    ^ You forgot the Carl Hupp Project!...How could you?!
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  17. #67
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    posted a list in vain
    It makes sense, but you'll never satisfy the Skullhead agenda. Unless they all recorded their albums using 1972 technology and can play out live without the use of anything resembling a Commodore 64, then they are all poseurs and have ruined music for everyone.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  18. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    C',om on man! It certainly isn't from lack of trying, these are all pretty contemporary recordings. And skipped past twice as many to compile this list.
    Snarky Puppy
    Chon
    Tauk
    7 for 4 - Germany
    Accordo Dei Contrari - 2014 - AdC
    BCTD-2016-Sessions At The Cave II
    The Bob Lazar Story - 2015 - Self Loathing Joe
    CBDB - Joyfunk Is Dead (2015)
    Elephant9
    European Mantra
    Felix Lehrmann's Rimjob - Felix Lehrmann's Rimjob (2011)
    Forgas Band Phenomena
    FORQ. Batch. 2015
    Garage Mahal
    Gidi Derzy - The Anunnaki Project. 2016
    Grand General - Grand General (2013)
    Hectic Watermellon - The Great American Road Trip
    Helmet of Gnats
    Impact Fuze - Moscow
    Jaga Jazzist
    Kick the Cat
    Marbin
    Mats Oberg & Morgan Agren
    Mindflowers
    Mörglbl Trio, Ze
    OHM
    One Shot
    Optimystik Visionaries – Optimistic Vision
    Pandora Snail
    Planet X-Derek Sherinian
    Residence Of The Future
    Satelliti-2013-Transister
    Slivovitz
    Special Providence
    The Gourishankar
    The Renegades
    Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
    Alex Argento
    Alessandro Bertoni
    Ed Aguiar
    Kinsey, Scott
    Larsson, Lalle
    Turcio, Phil
    Visa Oscar Group. Fusion Treatment. 2015
    Aliano, Sam
    Borlai Gergő
    Donati, Virgil
    Holmes, Rodney
    Lang, Thomas
    Minnemann, Marco
    Persini, Sebastian -
    Phillips, Simon
    Stevens, Vic
    Antoine Fafard
    Riendeau, Ray
    Garcia, Al
    Garsed, Brett\
    Hallebeek, Richard
    Guillermont, Marc
    Hinds, Allen
    Neander, Ali
    Rivers, Endel
    Tohpati -
    Watson, Dean
    Yaan-Zek, Phi
    Apetrea, Coste
    None of these count as long as it isn't discerable which ones apply laptops. 'Cause if they do, they're disqualified.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  19. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,882
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Some music is "studio music" and would be hard to or impossible to perform live. Other music sounds great live but gets boring on record, without the visuals.

    I think there's room for both extremes in this world.
    I agree. Sometimes even the albums created on laptop are excellent, so I'd like to recommend this progressive fusion album by Superfluous Motor:

    https://superfluousmotor.bandcamp.co...m/scatterbrain


  20. #70
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    3,390
    It's The End - Three Quarks For Muster


  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It makes sense, but you'll never satisfy the Skullhead agenda. Unless they all recorded their albums using 1972 technology and can play out live without the use of anything resembling a Commodore 64, then they are all poseurs and have ruined music for everyone.
    No, just simple.
    Can a band play real prog fusion, improv etc in today's musical environment?.... and do this LIVE and attract an audience that creates a vibe, a scene, not in the virtual world...but the real world. A place where people eat, drink, hang out, socialize.... no in a chat room, not somewhere in "second life" but right in your hometown or nearby. No drum machines, no sampled crap, just good honest musicians playing real instruments in real time to real people who dig fusion and prog and can't wait to come back and see and hear more... LIVE!

    Is that too much to ask?

  22. #72
    So says the idjit railing against technology in an online forum.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    So says the idjit railing against technology in an online forum.


    I'm sure you're looking forward to purchasing a self driving car so you can do other things and let the machine drive you around.... until the software crashes and the car goes off the road or worse.

    Remember something... just because something CAN be invented, doesn't mean it should.
    You're being a sheep and not using your brain. Do you like the idea of receiving a ticket via your iphone because GPS revealed that your car went too fast after the speedometer communicated to a satellite? That technology exists now, and is being currently shopped to law enforcement to start testing in trail areas... but I'm sure your sheep brain would be fine with that right?... because it's new and all technology is good.

  24. #74
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    No, just simple.
    Can a band play real prog fusion, improv etc in today's musical environment?...
    Yes, it's called jazz.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I'm sure you're looking forward to purchasing a self driving car so you can do other things and let the machine drive you around.... until the software crashes and the car goes off the road or worse.

    Remember something... just because something CAN be invented, doesn't mean it should.
    You're being a sheep and not using your brain. Do you like the idea of receiving a ticket via your iphone because GPS revealed that your car went too fast after the speedometer communicated to a satellite? That technology exists now, and is being currently shopped to law enforcement to start testing in trail areas... but I'm sure your sheep brain would be fine with that right?... because it's new and all technology is good.


    Oh yeah, you totes have me pegged

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •