Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can Prog Fusion Make a Comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think you mean "lapdance"....

No, it's an instrument called the "laptar".
    <sig out of order>

^Lap steel laptar?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Like a keytar...a laptop with a strap.
    <sig out of order>

"Can Prog Fusion Make a Comeback?"

Not even the remotest of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    There isn't any instrument that I never like...
    Bagpipes, on the other hand, require a great deal of skill and reserve to remain listenable.

I'm trying to make that happen at Progtoberfest!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bagpipes, on the other hand, require a great deal of skill and reserve to remain listenable.
    I love bagpipes.

Even mechanical ones:

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, provided that you fuse the right ingredients (as per the example below; where I'm listening to Embryo jamming with Missus Beastly).

Thanks for posting, nice to see someone contributing something of substance to this thread.
    Question... and an important one.

Obviously this was recorded live, but I didn't see any evidence of an audience.... no applause etc. What is most important is that
    people come out to see this kind if thing. It looked slickly produced with multiple camera angles etc. Seems maybe live in the studio,
    or maybe live streaming into the ethernet ....but maybe not live with an audience?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I just gotta ask; comeback from what, relative obscurity?

I never knew it went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Not talking about releasing records. Anyone with a "laptop" can do that these days. Will people actually get away from their laptop and go out
    and see live fusion in a venue that is NOT drawing only upon their past releases from the 70's era. They will all be gone soon as we are seeing.
    If I want to go out and see live fusion improv etc, where do I go? It comes back when there is a scene, a real scene with people who show up and support it. Musicians who show up and play it.... not in the past but in modern times.... this weekend!
    Oké, point taken, but don't forget Leonardo's Moonjune Music also has a large roster of progfusion acts that play concerts all over the world. Think of Marbin:

Isn't live performance really the key to the kingdom? I mean if you don't bring it out live, then it remains underground.. in the basement etc. Tons of "prog" artists making laptop recordings that are often now just uploaded somewhere. Sure some people find it and enjoy it, but what about really bringing music out to the people?
    Not just "prog people" but everyone. There was a time when "normal" people enjoyed a vast array of music including what we now call prog, art rock, fusion, improv etc. There is so little diversity in the scene today with electronica just wolfing up everyone attention and most all other genres are just laying down and pandering to it to some or varying degrees.

The argument I keep hearing is people won't come out, or you have to play covers or tribute bands etc. This is what really needs to be addressed if today's deplorable live music scene has any chance of a brighter future.

"Today's deplorable live music scene"

I don't find it deplorable. I go out and see great stuff all the time. There's more great stuff going on in this town than I can possibly afford or have time and energy to see.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    The problem today is not that there are not enough of proggy fusion bands; problem is actually that there are few listeners for a bunch of great new bands and solo artists who play fusion.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    The problem today is not that there are not enough of proggy fusion bands; problem is actually that there are few listeners for a bunch of great new bands and solo artists who play fusion.
    Maybe you could post a few example videos

heh heh heh

"Today's deplorable live music scene"

I don't find it deplorable. I go out and see great stuff all the time. There's more great stuff going on in this town than I can possibly afford or have time and energy to see.
    For some reason this reminded me of a conversation I had with my piano teacher yesterday. He had gone to NY last weekend to visit a friend and ended up playing a CD release party of his. While he was in town, he went to see Jerry Granelli play at The Stone, which started a conversation about John Zorn, which led to talking about John Hollenbeck and Claudia Quintet, and then Cuneiform Records.

We were both jazzed (ha ha) to learn that the other knew of all those people/things.

He said that a couple of guys from Zorn's Electric Masada band were supposed to be playing with Mr. Granelli, but they didn't make it. That would have been a killer show...

so... the answer to the OP question is

yes... IF they do not use computers to record stuff and IF they don't use any instruments not approved of by Skullhead
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I just gotta ask; comeback from what, relative obscurity?
    for that matter, can Prog Symph make a comeback from relative obscurity?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Or, can MUSIC make a comeback?!?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Or, can MUSIC make a comeback?!?
    Music is setting records for downloads and the numbers of bands and amount of releases coming out every day.

What's to come back FROM? Making money for mega-conglomerates?

Make prog fusion great again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Maybe you could post a few example videos

heh heh heh
    don't give him ideas he's already got

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    would that make symph weenies hipsters again?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

As for prog fusion that meets only the specific criteria of the OP...not really on my mind. I'm too busy going out and seeing a variety of pretty goddamned amazing bands that, like those bands of yesteryear, are taking bits and pieces of the past, crunching them together with the tools and techniques of the present, and doing some pretty damned amazing work.

Whether it's prog fusion, jazz rock, jazz fused with something else, or jazz metal...as long as it's a damned fine set of music I'm happy. Ergo, Supersilent, Brain Tentacles, Wadada Leo Smith/Vijay Ijer, Sonar, Jaga Jazzist (BEASTS!), Upsilon Acrux, Algernon...I won't say all these shows were packed houses but some of them were most definitely packed.

I know the OP has a problem regarding laptops. I have a problem with movies starring Adam Sandler. The fact that they even exist both baffles and horrifies me. Yet...I don't make a habit of trying to attack him in every forum whenever possible. His movies continue to exist and somehow, through sheer willpower or possibly advanced pilates, I have found the fortitude to simply not watch them and let others have their fun. So much other stuff that I actually LIKE out there...why become obsessive/compulsive to the point of obnoxiousness just to try and convince others to see things my way? That's just, well, more than a little stupid.
    Last edited by battema; 01-13-2017 at 07:03 PM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I love bagpipes.

Even mechanical ones
    You sir, are certifiable.