Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hands 1977 s/t album

Banned

Hands 1977 s/t album

IMHO, this album is one of the GREATEST sympho-rock collections of the songs from the era - musically and regarding its cleverness and originality inside of sympho-rock genre frame. Though, it seems still underrated.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-11-2017 at 04:19 AM.

Yes, it's quite wonderful. They were IMO far better at their game than some of the more well known US acts attempting similar things back then.

But AFAIR, this wasn't actually a 1977 release, was it? I thought it was merely a collection of previously unreleased material from around that time... I could be wrong, of course.

Their latest three studio albums (from the current version of the band) are very good as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes, it was released in 1996, and the material dates from 1977 to 1980. It shows in a way that they go for symphonic progressive and plunder all and sundry, rather than just one or two British bands for influences. And they work that material pretty well most of the time.

This archival release has special meaning to me. These guys were all of about 2 miles from where I grew up. Not that I knew them at the time (I was a bit too young).

I wrote a post about it about 5 years ago. Not so much a review of the album. My insights are similar to the others here. But if you're from DFW, you'll appreciate reading it I think. And there's a few other interesting tidbits even if you're not.

http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blog...-1980-usa.html

Wow, just listened to the whole album......beautiful stuff....very Gentle Giantish at times, lovely clavinet playing in several spots. Luckily, the singing is minimal as it is not too strong. Not bad but not their strong suit.

Will need to search this out.

Thanks for sharing.
    G.A.S -aholic

^ There are three or four different lead vocalists heard on those recordings. As far as I'm concerned, vocal/guitarist/songwriter mainman Ernie Myers has a great voice which he still uses sparingly yet ultimately most fittingly ("Worlds Apart", for instance). The other singers may not be as strong, but neither do I find them particularly annoying.

Myers is one of the central members of the current band as well, btw - they should be checked out by anyone into those 1977-80 recordings.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Tom:
    Thanks for posting.
    I went to music school with Ernie and two other HANDS members at Richland College on Abrams in NE Dallas................1976 thru 1978...............I think I recall taking theory classes together.
    We attended there because of the huge talent in the music faculty and the lower tuition rates.
    The faculty talent was remarkable on it's own but was also supplemented by the jazz-school students up in Denton; they would come down to North Dallas and provide private lessons for reasonable fees.
    I remember the whole two-year period as a real blessing..............educational, productive, and fun...............met many good people.

Ernie invited me to HANDS rehearsals a couple of times and I went over to see them work.............I recall the keyboard player was quite the musician and the woodwind guy attended Richland with Ernie and I.
    They could do good versions of King Crimson covers............detailed. The name of the band at this time was PRISM.
    They recorded enough original music for a full album during this time...........I think it was done at Goodnight studios over by Bachman Lake................I actually have a reel-to-reel copy of the entire session's final mix............Ernie was kind enough to give me that tape..............much of the material/songs in your post is/are from these sessions.
    They also landed a gig at one of the larger clubs in town and opened for Gentle Giant; I remember attending that show............we had a large table and many buckets of bottled beer.

Below is a blurb from the Gentle Giant tour history webpage...............

Mar. 19 (1977) Dallas, Texas Electric Ballroom Although not confirmed, this may have been one in a series of free concerts sponsored by Dallas radio station KZEW. Prism, a Texas band not to be confused with the Canadian band of the same name, was the opening act at this packed concert and has officially released their set from this night on CD. Members of Prism have described having Giant watch their set from the wings as one of the highlights of their career. Their drummer had a cymbal which he made from a metal disc originally used to scoop golf balls from the bottom of ponds. John Weathers heard this cymbal and liked it very much, so Prism’s drummer gave it to him after the show. It can later be heard on the song Winning on GG’s 1977 MISSING PIECE album. The venue was basically a big barn with a stage at one end and a 100 foot bar running the length of the room. Ray remembers a gig at a club in Texas where a spectator in the back attempted to steal a rear speaker during his violin solo until apprehended by the tour manager. It may very well have been this show, as one fan does recall a scuffle taking place in the rear of the club. A tape exists of a brief portion of GG's sound-check before this concert, showing them running through For Nobody a couple of times. Members of Prism, later renamed Hands, have stated that they opened for GG on more than one occasion. Details as to where and when these other shared bills may have been are not known.

Nice music - never heard it before !

^ That CD is still available, I believe - and well worth it!

Many US 70s efforts at European-influenced "symphonic" rock end up either hopelessly artificial/flabby sounding or just too darn obviously derivative to my ears, but Hands' music has a very distinguished and organic feel to it. There are lots of folk-tone impulses reflecting various styles of US roots (Appalachian, midwest etc.), some really cool hard rock attacks and a prominent fusion influx which really serve the songs. Recommended!

Listening to the whole thing... This album KICKS MAJOR ASS!!!

Must have... Where can I find a copy? Ug!!

I've had this one for years and really enjoy it. Definitely in a GG vein at times, which is fine with me. I've sampled some of their albums after this one, but none of them have really grabbed me. I like the feel on this early stuff where it really felt they were pushing their chops and the compositions to the limits of their abilities.

Bill

Very good, but they're no Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    But AFAIR, this wasn't actually a 1977 release, was it? I thought it was merely a collection of previously unreleased material from around that time... I could be wrong, of course.
    You're completely right, but I was amazed to find out recently that they actually had a 7" single with two songs out in the 1970s. Both songs later appeared on CDs – curiously, it was the flip side that made it to the first archival compilation (Hands), while side 1 had to wait until Palm Mystery came out a few years later. But as a big fan of almost everything they did, I am now searching for that 45 – would be great to hear at least some of their music on wax.

Also quite fond of their last two records:

Strangelet (2008)
    Caviar Bobsled (2015)
    The Prog Corner

Good, romantic kind of prog. A must have for Camel and Renaissance admirers.

Saw Caviar Bobsled on the Wayside store a while back and it sounded interesting -- but then I forgot about them.

Just now checking it out on Spotify, and it's really cool! Kinda makes me think of a groovier echolyn, with a little bit of post-Brave Marillion, and some jazzier elements.

I like it!

All Hands albums are worth checking out.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I haven't spun this in years. I remember it being very good. I also have their "Strangelet" album, which I'm not sure I ever spun.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Saw Caviar Bobsled on the Wayside store a while back and it sounded interesting -- but
    Like I've pointed out a couple of times now (), the current Hands is an excellent band. Those two latest albums are very good, but their first release after reforming (well, Three of the members plus a new crew anyway), Twenty-Five Winters, is IMO just as great as that '96 retrospective collection. To put it nicely, they demonstrate a mastering and control of their chosen medium of expression which I never heard in, say, the (to me) dodgy Morse Beard.

It's bit short on running time (merely 41 minutes, IIRC), but that duration is swell as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Like I've pointed out a couple of times now (), the current Hands is an excellent band.
    No need to be mad, my friend. I just must have forgotten past mention of this band on here, perhaps due to the name Hands being somewhat neutral-sounding. But I did remember the name Caviar Bobsled, as well as the cover artwork, so when I saw it mentioned in this thread today it jogged my memory. It's on my Wayside shopping list now.

Those two latest albums are very good, but their first release after reforming (well, Three of the members plus a new crew anyway), Twenty-Five Winters, is IMO just as great as that '96 retrospective collection. To put it nicely, they demonstrate a mastering and control of their chosen medium of expression which I never heard in, say, the (to me) dodgy Morse Beard.

It's bit short on running time (merely 41 minutes, IIRC), but that duration is swell as hell.
    Went and did a search; lo and behold, Twenty-Five Winters was a featured CD here back in Feb of last year.

Definitely interested in hearing this now.

I still have a soft spot for Spock's Beard, as they were one of the first newer "prog" bands I got into. I don't spin their albums much these days, but when I do it's usually good for some nostalgic fun at least.

^ That CD is still available, I believe - and well worth it!

Many US 70s efforts at European-influenced "symphonic" rock end up either hopelessly artificial/flabby sounding or just too darn obviously derivative to my ears, but Hands' music has a very distinguished and organic feel to it. There are lots of folk-tone impulses reflecting various styles of US roots (Appalachian, midwest etc.), some really cool hard rock attacks and a prominent fusion influx which really serve the songs. Recommended!
    I quite agree. It does have an organic feel to it. I'm going to have to check this band out.
    Welcome to PE. If you want to watch old men argue about old musicians, you've come to the right place!

jamesmanzi

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Like I've pointed out a couple of times now (), the current Hands is an excellent band. Those two latest albums are very good, but their first release after reforming (well, Three of the members plus a new crew anyway), Twenty-Five Winters, is IMO just as great as that '96 retrospective collection. To put it nicely, they demonstrate a mastering and control of their chosen medium of expression....

Agreed. To my ears, there's something compelling about all 3 modern era Hands albums. They are oddly meticulous without being forced or formulaic.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    But as a big fan of almost everything they did, I am now searching for that 45 – would be great to hear at least some of their music on wax.
    There was one on ebay as a BIN last year. Even though I would like one too, I didn't buy it as I thought it was overpriced.

Yes, it’s all explained in detail in the booklet that came with the 1996 CD. It’s all archival stuff recorded from 77-80. I don’t know why the myth of a 1977 vinyl release persists, when it’s obvious from the shifts in recording quality that this is a mix of recordings from various sessions. I’m guessing people just can’t be bothered to read anymore.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yet another band that Michael Bennett turned me on to through ProgDay. I agree this album is great. I had never heard of them back in the day. I think the re-union album “25 Winters” is also a must own. I don’t have their most recent, but have been meaning to check it out.