Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IQ-Scrape across the Sky [first live Blu-ray]

I have a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 (2013 model). I'm guessing this blu-ray will play (I don't have it yet). I did once have a disc that wouldn't play, and I looked up a 'cheat' that made it work. I can't remember what it was now, but it was a fairly simple method. The only issue was that it went straight to the content of the disc rather than allowing me to choose from the menu. But at least it played. I'll take my chances with this one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Isn't Region 0 supposed to work in players from all regions?
    reading the link to the BBT website above it suggests blu rays produced to a european standard of 108050 won't play in some other countries irrrespective of whether they are region 0 or not, so its not so much the region but some other international standard to do with frames that is the issue.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    reading the link to the BBT website above it suggests blu rays produced to a european standard of 108050 won't play in some other countries irrrespective of whether they are region 0 or not, so its not so much the region but some other international standard to do with frames that is the issue.
    Yeah, that might be what Ken said.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    BarryLI & possibly others: Be sure to check if your player has the latest firmware. I have a older Panasonic player (2010) and it plays the BBT BluRay & others mentioned
    with no problems. I downloaded & updated the firmware on my player about two years ago. It takes some minimal effort, but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new player.
    That was the first thing I tried when it wouldn't play, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    It was filmed at 25fps and is incompatible with certain brand machines, particularly older ones.
    I bought mine from you guys at LaserCD and it won't play on my Sony player (no even sound, nothing). I tried it on my son's XBox and it did play but stopped working about 30 minutes after start and gave an error message that it could not continue. What are those "certain brand" players?
    I too expect a refund.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I bought mine from you guys at LaserCD and it won't play on my Sony player (no even sound, nothing). I tried it on my son's XBox and it did play but stopped working about 30 minutes after start and gave an error message that it could not continue. What are those "certain brand" players?
    I too expect a refund.
    Yes of course. Not a problem. I'll need the product back but we can do a refund. Sony machines are like the kiss of death. Very inflexible. The best machine on the market is from Oppo. Its like a swiss army knife. Will play anything you throw at it and has the benefits of phenomenal video processing. More than decent sound as well. I've heard good things about LG and Samsung but no direct experience.

Ember
    Anyone who expects to be acquiring shiny discs from unusual places should look into Oppo. Sony is the worst, because as the inventor of the Blu-ray format and owner of the licensing, their players adhere strictly to every last microbe of the full BD spec. If it is possible to implement a restriction, Sony will.

Oppo, by contrast, has a global perspective on designing media hardware. If they can find a way to make it work, they will.

My Oppo BDP-80 -- their now-discontinued entry player from 2010 -- has played every BD and DVD from Europe, Japan, the USA, and parts unknown that I've ever tried, with the exception of some US commercial discs with new forms of copy protection. In those cases, Oppo has been quick with firmware updates, even years after the player was made.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Anyone who expects to be acquiring shiny discs from unusual places should look into Oppo.
    Unusual places like ENGLAND...oooh...

But you are quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Uh oh, I have that disk, uhh...
    Brought home the BBT Blu-Ray and tried it, not surprisingly same result as IQ, sound is fine (5.1) but no video at all.

Oh, well, lesson learned I suppose. BTW 2 e-mails to GEP have gone unanswered, not nice.

Today I got the Bluray from GEP! Looks and sounds nice!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx