Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: OK, what's so great about... Joni Mitchell?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    This is simply insulting to both J.M and all the great musicians who have worked for her.
    Not to mention that it demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of Joni Mitchell's musical esthetic.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    BTW, Frank Zappa too hired external high profile musicians. Where they all only in it for the money ?
    they did it for the nookie

This is simply insulting to both J.M and all the great musicians who have worked for her. Do you REALLY think that they were all short of work and MONEY was their sole motivation ? All the musicians who have played with J.M had the greatest respect for her, both as a musician and composer/songwriter. They could have easily played with bigger names (some did) and get higher paychecks if they wanted to.

BTW, Frank Zappa too hired external high profile musicians. Where they all only in it for the money ?
    You really don't understand it do you. When James Taylor tours he is the weakest person on stage yet they still only do James Taylor singer/songwriter songs. Gino Vannelli had UZEB in his band doing Gino's songs. Steely Dan had great musicians early on but they left because Becker and Fagen wouldn't tour and they weren't making any money. Greg Howe played with n'sync so he could do his own thing and play with Tetsuo Sakurai with Dennis Chambers and also Eddie Jobson. Frank Zappa and Miles Davis surrounded themselves with good musicians so they could play good music, not to be a back up band for singer songwriter folky tunes.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

'folky tunes' is not the expression I would use for much of Mitchell's later output, but there you go.

I have no idea what some people are talking about above. Let me just say Joni was a great musical genius. The songs and lyrics that she made are art of the highest order. My fave album is Hejira with the late great Jaco Pastorious adding his magic to most of the songs. She always surrounded herself with such great musicians too, her like will never be seen again because others can only try to copy what she did but never be the real deal.

She has suffered greatly with her health in the last few years and is now sadly unable to talk let alone sing. She did manage to attend her 75th Birthday party though

Joni.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    i big bump for Joni

Found this w-e for 3.00 whatevers Joni's Tavelogue (though it seems the outside slipcase was missing, but I'm not sure there is one), but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet (actually I even forgot it in my other pad, so it won't be for this week). Anyways, it was dirt cheap, so I wasn't about to pass up on it, since I only own Don Juan & Hejira

Soooo, what's the deal with thinq?? There is actually no track listing in the booklet (so I found it and printed it), but also no infos whatsoever and what the object is about?

Is this a compilation album of classic tracks from her albums mixed with Joni's painting or is it a real album where Joni is revisiting her old tracks and made different versions.
    Roine Stolt used to rave about that album on the Flower Kings mailing list several years ago. I think he was listening to it heavily around the time of Paradox Hotel if I recall correctly.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    How's Joni's health these days? Anybody heard anything recent?
    My wife and I went to see Graham Nash the other night and he mentioned Joni a few times. I can't remember exactly what he said at one point but the gist was that her health is much improved these days.

She's been seen out in public quite a bit in the last year or so. She attended that 75th birthday concert they held for her too. I know a girl that went to her house in the last year and said that she didn't expect her to speak at all, but did fine. Then, Herbie Hancock dropped in and my friend heard someone singing Summertime off in the distance. It was Joni, and she continued to sing for the next hour. Don't expect her to perform, but yeah, that is much improved!

That's great to hear!
    <sig out of order>

Joni transcends most labels we could throw at her....I think she is art at its highest and most exultant level.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    She's been seen out in public quite a bit in the last year or so. She attended that 75th birthday concert they held for her too. I know a girl that went to her house in the last year and said that she didn't expect her to speak at all, but did fine. Then, Herbie Hancock dropped in and my friend heard someone singing Summertime off in the distance. It was Joni, and she continued to sing for the next hour. Don't expect her to perform, but yeah, that is much improved!
    Thanks, that is heart warming to know.

Banned
    Want to know what’s so great?

That is excellent to hear - thanks for sharing.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

great to hear.

Not my idea when I bumped this thread back up, but it's worth the price alone for news like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Want to know what’s so great?
    because of Peter Gabriel??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    great to hear.

Not my idea when I bumped this thread back up, but it's worth the price alone for news like this.

because of Peter Gabriel??
    Why not, and his words were appropriate. He didn’t work with everybody, and vice versa.

https://youtu.be/fQ0SfBzpdE4

Banned
    Joni loves good guitarists. https://youtu.be/cxBVuOSnJko

OK, been going through Travelogue and indeed its a revisit of her historical catalogue with added arrangements (brass section, string sections and sometimes more...

This double album will probably send me back into her 60 & 70's albums that I don't really know (vaguely familiar with the first four or five albums)...
    Not sure my ears and heavy calendar/time schedule needed that added workload

It's definitely not a good entry point for beginners, though, but this is the dreamed recap for many ageing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Why not, and his words were appropriate. He didn’t work with everybody, and vice versa.

https://youtu.be/fQ0SfBzpdE4
    had no idea...
    thx
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

this is the dreamed recap for many ageing fans.
    "Muzak" is the word you're searching for.

I hesitate between Gil Evans and Mingus' respective style of arrangements...

Haven't had time for the second disc yet.

I hesitate between Gil Evans and Mingus' respective style of arrangements...

Haven't had time for the second disc yet.
    Kudos to Trane for not taking the bait on this. Gil Evans is an excellent comparison. Mingus, perhaps, but I'm not as familiar. Vince Mendoza is one of the most accomplished arrangers and composers of the past 30 years, with a list of recordings and collaborators second to none. IMO his work on Travelogue is among the best he's done. Enjoy the second disc!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Clipboard01.jpg
    Joni a couple nights ago with a couple semi-famous singers^^

Clipboard01j.jpg
    Last night with Debbie Harry^^

^^^ Great pics, thanks for those.

Banned
    Thanks for the pics. Just to chime in, although John Kelman summed it up nicely, IMO Joni is a consummate musician, a true artist and easily one of the best songwriters of her generation. She was fully in charge of her musical vision and sought out the musicians to help her realize it.

P.S. if you never have, listen carefully to Larry Carlton’s guitar lines on “Amelia”: IMO they are simple, yet beyond beautiful - they are sublime. Joni just told him to play and then edited the best of the various takes into one masterful accompanying track.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 08-10-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Just to chime in, although John Kelman summed it up nicely, IMO Joni is a consummate musician, a true artist and easily one of the best songwriters of her generation. She was fully in charge of her musical vision and sought out the musicians to help her realize it.

P.S. if you never have, listen carefully to Larry Carlton’s guitar lines on “Amelia”: IMO they are simple, yet beyond beautiful - they are sublime. Joni just told him to play and then edited the best of the variety takes into one masterful accompanying track.
    Yes indeed, Amelia is just sublime, the whole of Hejira is one of the greatest works of musical art ever for me.