Thread: Cold Vinyl?

Cold Vinyl?

Everyone knows that if you leave vinyl in heat, it will warp and get damaged. However, how bad is it to expose vinyl to extreme cold? Say if I left the record in my car trunk over night?

Library Jon

it will sound brittle.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Everyone knows that if you leave vinyl in heat, it will warp and get damaged. However, how bad is it to expose vinyl to extreme cold? Say if I left the record in my car trunk over night?

Library Jon
    They're ruined. They'll sound like CDs now.

I have had a few boxes of records I dont play out in a metal shed in -9 degree weather for many winters now. Does not affect the vinyl at all. The covers however need to be pressed together in a box with other records. If you leave a lone record in that kind of temp the cover will get a little wavy. They absorb moisture from the cold air.
    Still alive and well...

I don't think there will be any damage done but just out of neurotic paranoia I would probably wait until they are at room temperature before I played them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ And I would send them to that cleaning service again.

As long as the change in temperature is not drastic and the humidity is relatively low, you should be OK for that short time. Having said that, a lot of cars will absorb a fair amount of humidity inside the cab and trunk. The rubber seals only hold out so much moisture. If the car is old, you'll likely ruin the outer cover, and if it gets moist enough, you will likely develop some mold on the record itself.
    It is best to keep records indoors at room temperature, between 50 to 80 degrees farenheit.

Jubal raises a good point, though not explicitly.

Back when I had a vinyl collection I kept each album in a clear plastic sleeve, to prevent cover wear and to reduce moisture exposure. The bags weren't SEALED but I imagine, if you were taking them somewhere in your car or mailing them or something like that where they might be exposed to moisture, if would be a good idea to fold over the top of the bag and seal it with tape.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Jubal raises a good point, though not explicitly.

Back when I had a vinyl collection I kept each album in a clear plastic sleeve, to prevent cover wear and to reduce moisture exposure. The bags weren't SEALED but I imagine, if you were taking them somewhere in your car or mailing them or something like that where they might be exposed to moisture, if would be a good idea to fold over the top of the bag and seal it with tape.
    What kind of tape, though?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What kind of tape, though?
    A "warm" Magnetic Tape. Forget Scotch.......think BASF.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Forget Scotch.......
    I can't. It's the only thing that gets me up most mornings.