Thread: Soundcloud Running Out Of Cash

Soundcloud Running Out Of Cash

SoundCloud posted a net loss of $52 million in 2015 and may “run out of cash” before the end of 2017, Music Business Worldwide reports.
    The figures were revealed in a report from co-founder Alexander Ljung, who warned that the company may need to seek additional funding if its subscription service doesn’t perform as hoped.

The rest of the story here:
    http://www.factmag.com/2017/01/05/so...n-out-of-cash/

How does this impact prog, and prog musicians..?
    Regards,

Duncan

If Soundcloud goes under, people will have to go to Bandcamp to ignore my music.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    If Soundcloud goes under, people will have to go to Bandcamp to ignore my music.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How the heck can they NOT have gone under to the tune of $52 million in one year? Damn those tech investors have deep pockets and blinders. I love Bandcamp but I don't think I've ever bought anything through Soundcloud. The site looks like it's a place for bands to try out their music BEFORE selling it on Bandcamp.

^^a lot of it has to do with how Soundcloud is setup: Its very hard for like-minded artists and listeners to find each other and network together....the one feature that did allow this ("Groups") is no longer an option as the desired result of networking was bastardized by "Listen To Me!" Spamming.....Lessons which should have been learned from MySpace

,,,,in addition, a lot of it has to do with Hip Hop and Rap.......I like a lot of Hip Hop and Rap when its done well--- the problem is, a huge bulk of it isn't done well: a good bulk of it is poorly produced recycled loops featuring any knucklehead that can rhyme in ABAB that thinks hes an artist.......Soundcloud is literally over-saturated with very bad rap

But it took $52 million to figure that out? I didn't really know it was an e-commerce site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Does Bandcamp have a mobile app? I typically listen to SoundCloud on my Android devices, not on a desktop PC.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Does Bandcamp have a mobile app? I typically listen to SoundCloud on my Android devices, not on a desktop PC.

Yes, I listen to stuff on bandcamp on my phone.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes, I listen to stuff on bandcamp on my phone.
    Do you have a link to an app in the Google Play Store?

Laura

What I like about Bandcamp is that it works well and simply, and relies on what at this point are the usual marketing methods - shops like Wayside and Laser's Edge, mailing lists, etc to get you there. Basically a better CD Baby. And it has nothing to do with Apple!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Do you have a link to an app in the Google Play Store?

I just type in bandcamp in the google play search function
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Soundcloud became a niche for mainly hobbyist to share their own demos, snippets, remixes and other audio with friends and communities - much like Youtube. You can upload an hour or two for free or pay for more services like more time, statistics etc. For this kind of use there are no real competitors and it would be really sad news if they quit. Bandcamp is a different thing altogether - a channel for (independent) release of singles and albums and not for like "hey, which direction should I go with the chorus" questions.

However, for the regular music consumers there are not much to hear there, except browsing for new (lack of) talent...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Soundcloud became a niche for mainly hobbyist to share their own demos, snippets, remixes and other audio with friends and communities - much like Youtube. You can upload an hour or two for free or pay for more services like more time, statistics etc. For this kind of use there are no real competitors and it would be really sad news if they quit. Bandcamp is a different thing altogether - a channel for (independent) release of singles and albums and not for like "hey, which direction should I go with the chorus" questions.

However, for the regular music consumers there are not much to hear there, except browsing for new (lack of) talent...
    I THINK I once bought some recording from Steve Rothery via Soundcloud. But it's hard to see how they could have invested so much $$ in that service.