Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy - how did you do? How are you doing?

Hurricane Sandy - how did you do? How are you doing?

Curious to hear from fellow USA east coast dwellers.
    We got off relatively easy - only lost one tree in the backyard and a couple of pieces of siding from our house. Finally our power was restored after 8 days. My husband was overseas for 7 of those 8 days. I feel I should get some sort of patch to sew on my sash? (If only I had a sash. ) I've been out of work (as a schoolteacher) since October 26. I go back tomorrow. That will be strange. The kids will need to talk, so we'll do a lot of talking. Then, move on as best as we can.

Also tomorrow a nor'easter heads our way, which only adds insult to injury, especially to those who have suffered so much loss along the coasts. Hope and pray that not much more damage occurs.

All of this severe and strange weather. I'm thinking that it's time for man to back off from altering nature. Nature is beginning to fight back.

Eatontown, NJ. We lucked out (my family that is) and got our power back last Thursday (let's see how long that lasts now that we have yet another storm on the way). My neighborhood's been trashed by high winds that blew trees on to my neighbor's homes; my neighbor in back of me and two doors over had their house split in half by a tree. The remainder of my neighborhood fared reasonably well, except for the fact many only got their power back late last night. A *lot* of downed lines and tangled in trees throughout the neighborhood. Both my daughters still have no school (my oldest attends St Rose High School in Belmar, and it was devastated by the storm. They are rebuilding courtesy of insurance and $100K check delivered by the Bishop from the Diocese. They hope to re-open on Monday, 11/12. My youngest is supposed to return to school tomorrow, but I'm beginning to think that's not happening because the school hasn't gotten power on yet and the teacher's union contract requires the building be on for 24 hours w/power for the safety of students and teachers alike). I'm hoping that this next storm is just hype...I don't think I can play any more board games (or is that "bored games"?)
    "So...you seek understanding. Then listen to the music and not the song..." - Kosh

No power, No water, No heat, No internet...Power companies are going for easy pickings, fixing areas where they get the fastest increases in % of power restoration. I live in the community with average property acreage is about 2 acres so Power company by fixing my street would show only very small progress...my guess is maybe 1 more week if the next storm does not cause any more pain...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    No power, No water, No heat, No internet...Power companies are going for easy pickings, fixing areas where they get the fastest increases in % of power restoration. I live in the community with average property acreage is about 2 acres so Power company by fixing my street would show only very small progress...my guess is maybe 1 more week if the next storm does not cause any more pain...

Ugh. Might I ask where exactly "Sandyland" is? Though if you want to keep that private, I understand.

I'm so sorry to hear of all this misfortune, and I hope those affected recover quickly. I haven't heard from my brother yet--only short messages passed to me by some of his friends on LI letting me know he and his dog Coco are alive--and I'm afraid he's lost his home and all the tools and other equipment that are necessary for his livelihood (body and fender/automotive).
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear of all this misfortune, and I hope those affected recover quickly. I haven't heard from my brother yet--only short messages passed to me by some of his friends on LI letting me know he and his dog Coco are alive--and I'm afraid he's lost his home and all the tools and other equipment that are necessary for his livelihood (body and fender/automotive).
    Oh no! T - I am so sorry that your brother lost his home and the things that he needs for his work. My god. I surely hope you hear from him soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Oh no! T - I am so sorry that your brother lost his home and the things that he needs for his work. My god. I surely hope you hear from him soon.
    Thanks, doll...it's not definite that he's lost his home, etc.; I won't know till I talk to him, but I understand that that area of Long Island was just smashed, and I know he is staying with friends. As soon as I know anything, I'll let you know, too. <3
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Fingers are crossed that this next storm doesn't add to all the damage.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Ugh. Might I ask where exactly "Sandyland" is? Though if you want to keep that private, I understand.
    Sandyland is NJ I moved to Chester, Morris County 8 months ago...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    2/3 of the households in our village lost power, but thankfully we were not among them. A lot of people had big trees come down, some doing serious damage. Again, we were very lucky, especially since a lot of the trees that came down were White Pines, and we have a huge White Pine RIGHT next to our house.

It's now snowing a bit - tonight with this whoring Noreaster' coming we're taking the mayor's advice and sleeping downstairs just to be safe.

"Come on, you great, big, beautiful bitch!" (one of my favorite dumb quotes from the dumb movie "Proof of Life.")

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's now snowing a bit - tonight with this whoring Noreaster' coming we're taking the mayor's advice and sleeping downstairs just to be safe.
    What is the reasoning behind sleeping downstairs as opposed to upstairs?

Falling trees would be my guess.

Just put the plow on my truck. On top of the still uncleared mess from Sandy will now sit 4 inches of snow.

I was completely grumpy and irritable, until I saw the actual damage that bitch did to the Mid-Atlantic states.

We lost power Monday night at about 8:30 and got it back around 4:00 Thursday morning. It's amazing, and humbling, and embarrassing how dependent we are on the grid.

Anyway, we were slightly inconvenienced. Compared to what many went through - and are still going through - we were virtually unaffected. We lost power. We had no downed trees, no property damage, no flooding, no loss at all, thank goodness.

This weekend, when I have more time, I have to find out what kind of donations are needed and where I can give blood.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sandyland is NJ I moved to Chester, Morris County 8 months ago...
    Ahh. Chester is a great town; I've been there many times. I'm about 30 minutes south of there, in Bridgewater.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was completely grumpy and irritable, until I saw the actual damage that bitch did to the Mid-Atlantic states.

We lost power Monday night at about 8:30 and got it back around 4:00 Thursday morning. It's amazing, and humbling, and embarrassing how dependent we are on the grid.
    So true.

Well, this "nor'easter" ended up being not much more than a sneeze in my area. We only had about an inch of snow and if there were any wind gusts upwards of 50 mph (as was forecasted), I certainly didn't feel them. Maybe 20 mph max.

Can we take a breather for a little while now? It would seem so. Around here, fair weather and temps in the high 50s, low 60s are expected over the next five days. Only small comfort for those still without power, much less without homes.

I got power yesterday...after 2 weeks in darkness, no water, no heat, no internet I got everything at the same time...it is like Christmass in November!

I finally finished my last customers to clean-up from storm damage yesterday. What a nightmare 2 weeks it's been...

Got my power back Sunday after being out for 2 weeks. I was fortunate to only have 2 inches of water in the basement which I pumped out without losing the gas heater, washer, dryer, etc. (which has happened previously in heavy rains).

I'm so sorry so many of you have had to suffer through this. {{{{}}}}

I got power yesterday...after 2 weeks in darkness, no water, no heat, no internet I got everything at the same time...it is like Christmass in November!
    Well, Merry Christmas to you.

How did your brother make out, T?

How did your brother make out, T?
    Thanks for asking, sweetie. Last night I heard from him for the first time since Sandy; he messaged me on FB. He and his doggie, Coco, are fine, but his auto shop (he lives in it) is pretty much destroyed; not only was it completely flooded, but 110 gallons of oil that he had there spilled in it as a result of the storm. He's just glad that he and Coco are OK, and so am I!

Yeah, no kidding.

Amazing how many were affected by this, and just how affected many were.

I definitely appreciate my situation more now than I did before the storm.

Thanks for asking, sweetie. Last night I heard from him for the first time since Sandy; he messaged me on FB. He and his doggie, Coco, are fine, but his auto shop (he lives in it) is pretty much destroyed; not only was it completely flooded, but 110 gallons of oil that he had there spilled in it as a result of the storm. He's just glad that he and Coco are OK, and so am I!
    Wow, that sucks. Glad he's okay, but very sorry to hear about his shop/home.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, no kidding.

Amazing how many were affected by this, and just how affected many were.

I definitely appreciate my situation more now than I did before the storm.
    All I want to do is go back home so I can help my friends and family....

Wow, that sucks. Glad he's okay, but very sorry to hear about his shop/home.
    Thank you, dollface...it does suck, but yeah, I am so happy he and Coco are all right. Stanley is my last living sibling, and I love him more than I can even express.

Here he is in the middle. He's 67 years old, and he still knows what the hell he's doing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What is the reasoning behind sleeping downstairs as opposed to upstairs?
    They were worried if the winds picked up at all, trees that were loosened during Sandy would fall over. If you saw the number and size of the downed trees in our neighborhood you'd understand. Their are still a lot that haven't been removed.

All I want to do is go back home so I can help my friends and family....

Thank you, dollface...it does suck, but yeah, I am so happy he and Coco are all right. Stanley is my last living sibling, and I love him more than I can even express.

Here he is in the middle. He's 67 years old, and he still knows what the hell he's doing.

Forget what I said before. He looks like he's doing fine!

Glad to hear that the news which matters most is good news!