Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Just induct the name, "Yes", and move on. Clean and simple.
    Just induct every band member who is credited on an album. Clean and simple.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^For some reason(and I don't know all the details)it doesn't work that way. Ideally though, that would solve a lot of problems and spare a lot of hurt feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They'd have to rent a larger hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^For some reason(and I don't know all the details)it doesn't work that way. Ideally though, that would solve a lot of problems and spare a lot of hurt feelings.
    Thread isn't long enough yet for sanity to creep in.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I came here for an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I came here for an argument.
    Thank you, good morning! The five minutes is up.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"...with my bandmates past and present" would've been more politic I'd submit.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I disagreed with this earlier but that is the best way. My list would exclude Igor, Sherwood, Oliver, Davison, and Benoit but the first two made serious contributions and Davison co-wrote an entire album that I just don't happen to enjoy. So, put them all in.

But nobody listens to the little people...

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    "...with my bandmates past and present" would've been more politic I'd submit.
    Wakeman wasn't preparing a State of the Union Address. Rabin probably told him to go, and it makes sense he would think of Rabin and Anderson saying he is going with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wakeman View Post
    “I am very pleased to announce that as the Hall of Fame have now agreed to present Chris Squire’s wife with a posthumous award acknowledging his massive contribution to YES, I have agreed to attend the Induction ceremony in New York to both stand proudly with my fellow band mates Jon and Trevor and also to watch Chris’s wife Scottie collect this well deserved award on his behalf. I also hope that this move to acknowledge members of bands who sadly did not live to receive their own honour, means they can get them posthumously in the future”.
    I am pretty sure this statement is entirely incorrect - not sure why he is talking like this is something brand new that they are doing for Squire. I have been watching inductions to that Hall for years (as many of us have as well) and I have seen many widows and children on the dais receiving the deceased's award. For the last few weeks, Wakeman has been particularly referencing Deep Purple and Jon Lord - Jon's wife Vicky was on stage with them and was honored with the rest of the band. Surprised that Rick doesn't know this.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-04-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Surprised that Rick doesn't know this.
    That threw me too, but only for three seconds. Of course he knows it but adds it to give him a reason for going back on his ironclad refusal for showing up. As I wrote when he first said absolutely no way he would attend, "So, it looks like 50/50 for Wakeman." I'm not surprised he is going at all.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love these these threads.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I love these these threads.

It's not enough to that Yes makes the R&RHOF; Geoff Downes and Jon Davison must be included with the other inductees!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    For gods sake!!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Top.

I am pretty sure this statement is entirely incorrect - not sure why he is talking like this is something brand new that they are doing for Squire. I have been watching inductions to that Hall for years (as many of us have as well) and I have seen many widows and children on the dais receiving the deceased's award. For the last few weeks, Wakeman has been particularly referencing Deep Purple and Jon Lord - Jon's wife Vicky was on stage with them and was honored with the rest of the band. Surprised that Rick doesn't know this.
    Why are you assuming he doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Why are you assuming he doesn't?
    Because of his quote - he seems to think that the Hall of Fame is doing something brand new by including Squire's widow (which is why Wakeman will now be there, he claims) and that because of this supposedly-new gesture from the Hall, he hopes that this will help acknowledge "those who sadly did not live to receive their own honour...so they can get them posthumously in the future”. As far as I can tell, this has been happening all along, including with Mr. Lord. That's why I am assuming he doesn't know this. :-)

I can't believe he had the audacity to not ask PE members what he should say.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Mike Love is my choice to introduce them.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    It would be funny if ARW was on one side of the stage and the rest on the other; both groups would make separate speeches but never make eye contact.
    It could be like the bit in "Xanadu" where the two bands slowly merge into each other onstage.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I agree except for Union. There are more than a few people credited on the ABWH tracks on Union.

I've always liked Rick, but this kind of stuff is just childish. Grow up already.
    Exactly----so Howe and Anderson the two genius's of Yes are not speaking----I wish they would grow up too---and I bet they do.
    These fights for years have been exhausting as a Yes fan Geez! Jon has been all over the place. Jon left Yeswest to form ABWH---to be with the real Yes---that was short lived---so now ARW is the real Yes lol
    So Jon is fickle ----he fell out with Chris too---so lets be even handed here.
    Rick defends Jon like he's some helpless wife who needs protection. I get no Jon no Yes---and I don't like the condition Yes is in---but there's plenty of blame to go around. It would be absolutely ridiculous to let every member of Yes into this Hall of fame. The hall---such as it is---is for important ---groundbreaking---important music----Yes hasn't been important since the 70's although popularity is also part of it---so Yes west of the 80's---the pop version is part of it. I mean f-ing ELP isn't in the Hall of Fame but sherwood, benoit, igor and Davidson who haven't written one good song among them should be in lol
    Last edited by 2steves; 01-04-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    [...] Wakemen did nothing there other than say that he'd be proud to stand with his current band mates.

Nothing at all to see here.
    Exactly.

People see what they want to see.

Well you never know. Imo, it's not out of the realm of possibility that these guys will talk(no pun intended)during the R&RHO induction ceremonies and decide to work together again in some sort of merger(aka Union). You never know. I'm not saying it will happen but honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if something like that came out of it.

He had to have an excuse to change his mind so he invented one.

On that old interview from the Union days he said he expected they'll still be a Yes when he was dead and buried and yet he's not happy with the current one while he's still alive. News flash: Jon Anderson isn't immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    He could have simply added an "and the guys" or something. He didn't. Clear snubbery.
    If people wish to read tea leaves... the Hall is inducting 8 people, 7 of whom are still alive, 3 in ARW, 2 in Yes, and 2 not in either band. It is notable that Yes's official response to the news included quotes from the 2 not in either band (Bruford, Kaye), but not from any of ARW, although it did mention all 8 names and used a photo from the Union tour, as well as then describing the current line-up.

ARW, in comparison, had no joint response and say nothing about the whole thing on their website, although all 3 have done interviews or sent messages about the induction.

I think that says that Yes has a more active management, and it was probably their management who were in contact with the Hall to plan publicity etc. Mostly, Yes have striven for politeness in their public comments towards ARW, which is a good stance to take from a PR point of view, however they actually feel.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/