Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Richard Thompson goes "Electric"

For solo RT albums I would say that the best are:

Mirror Blue
    The Old Kit Bag
    Rumor and Sigh

I am also very partial towards You? Me? Us? but that might not be a good place to start.

Also, there are a number of compilations that are very good (Action Packed, Shoot Out the Lights) as well as tons of great live albums, almost any of which would serve as a good introduction to RT's work.
    Last edited by Wounded Land; 02-14-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    For solo RT albums I would say that the best are:

Mirror Blue
    The Old Kit Bag
    Rumor and Sigh

I am also very partial towards You? Me? Us? but that might not be a good place to start.

Also, there are a number of compilations that are very good (Action Packed, Shoot Out the Lights) as well as tons of great live albums, almost any of which would serve as a good introduction to RT's work.
    Shoot Out the Lights is not a complilation. It was his breakthrough record (at least for American attention) and has recently been reissued as part of Rhino's Handmade series with a second live disc, but the original album is one fantastic studio record.

If you want to start with a comp, source out a copy of Watching the Dark, which goes from Fairport Convention days straight up to the time of release (1993, I think), with quite a few at-the-time unreleased goodies.

Also, if you can get it, Free Reed's RT - The Life and Times of Richard Thompson is stellar for, again, its plethora of rarities. If you want a straight comp of his studio/commercial recordings, Walking on a Wire, from a couple years back, is a good starting place, four CDs from Fairport through to Sweet Warrior, that will give you a good idea of his career and where, based on your tastes to focus. Live at the BBC is also great, but a lot of it is solo, not with groups, and I suspect for folks here, the group stuff, for the most part, would be more appealing though he is incredible all on his lonesome.

Funny you cite You Me Us as fave as that was quite universally considered one of his weakest - certainly production wise I'd have to agree, but the material is still strong. IN fact, what makes RT so great is that overall, his career has been marked by a rare consistency; even his less-than-great records are better than a lot of singer/songwriters' best. imo.

What's really needed is a reissue of the beautiful First Light.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

Hint: it has to do with the last track on disc 2, and where it's really sourced.
    Disc 2 of "Old Kit Bag", right? It says its from "1000 Years of Popular Music", but it sounds suspiciously like the cut from "Old Kit Bag".

I enjoy RT a lot, by the way. For a beginner, I suggest starting with "Rumor and Sigh" and buying all of them in order. Of course, "Amnesia", "Daring Adventures", and "Across a Crowded Room" are great too. My favorite album will always be either "Mirror Blue" or "Sweet Warrior", perhaps because I saw him on that tour. "Mock Tudor" and "You? Me? Us?" are also great, but "Mirror Blue" is probably the most 'progressive' of his records.

The new record is another set of great Thompson material. Its hard to believe a man of his age is still pushing his own boundaries. There are tunes on this album that simply rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    What's really needed is a reissue of the beautiful First Light.
    Indeed. Often overlooked, some beautiful writing ("Pavane," "House of Cards," the title track), some of his most concise soloing - but still terrific; his solo on the title track, right down to the bent harmonics at the end being his equivalent, IMO, of Larry Calrton's equally concise but stellar solo in Steely Dan's "Third Workd Man," and his singing with Linda quite possibly at its pinnacle of absolutely stunning harmonization.

I listened to the first disc on the Web site before ordering, and I'm listening to it on my system now. Sounds even better. This one's a winner. I'm curious about the bonus disc now.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Disc 2 of "Old Kit Bag", right? It says its from "1000 Years of Popular Music", but it sounds suspiciously like the cut from "Old Kit Bag".
    We have a winner! I've not got the real deal yet, as was working with download promo and an electronic version of the booklet; when I called the publicist to point out the error (which I didn't bother mentioning in the review as it's really picking nits), he suggested it might have been corrected as them e-note were an early draft. Sorry to hear they didn't fix. It was was oretty easy to ID for a Thompson geek.

There are, in fact, three recorded versions:
    First, on the second disc that came with two extra songs on the limited first run of Kit Bag;
    Second, on 1000 Years of Popular Music; and
    Third, on the Live at the BBC box.

The BBC version was solo; just RT, his voice and an unprocessed acoustic guitar. Also played in a different key (a step up, if I recall, or a step down..don't have it all with me at moment)
    The 1000 Years version was with a percussionist and, again, Richard playing unprocessed acoustic guitar. Taken at a slightly faster or slower clip than on Kit Bag (again, don't have with me)
    The Kit Bag (and now, on Electric'a second disc of the Deluxe edition, but with a but of the applause and RY's "thank you" edited out out) version is also with a percussionist, but with RT'S acoustic guitar processed.

But the real tell is his solo before the last verse. While Kit Bag and 1000 Years are similar, his lead-out of the solo to that last vocal verse contains a slightly different phrasing, aomething that might go by unnoticed if you weren't paying attention...but add that to the difference in tempo and the processed acoustic, and it's a slam dunk!

I enjoy RT a lot, by the way. For a beginner, I suggest starting with "Rumor and Sigh" and buying all of them in order. Of course, "Amnesia", "Daring Adventures", and "Across a Crowded Room" are great too. My favorite album will always be either "Mirror Blue" or "Sweet Warrior", perhaps because I saw him on that tour. "Mock Tudor" and "You? Me? Us?" are also great, but "Mirror Blue" is probably the most 'progressive' of his records.
    Sorry, can't agree. Leaving Henry the Human Fly for later, I'd recommend starting back near the beginning with I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight and moving forward. iWTSTBL is an early masterpiece, with the one-two punch of the opening "When I Get to the Border" and "Calvary Cross" just flat-out stunning. Taking it out on a positive note with "The End of the Rainbow" and "The Great Valerio," with other winners like "Poor Little Beggar Girl" make this essential. As even early on, his Uilllean Pioes-informed approach to bending guitar notes was already well and firmly in place, and s writing style, while continuing to evolve, already so incredibly mature....

I think it's important to start right at the beginning. Then, after you've picked up a couple more, go back to Henry the Human Fly, reportedly the biggest flop in Warner Bros. history, but still a damn fine record.

The new record is another set of great Thompson material. Its hard to believe a man of his age is still pushing his own boundaries. There are tunes on this album that simply rock!
    They sure do. And lyrically, for a guy who's as engaging and funny as he is, his own is downright razor sharp.

Indeed. Often overlooked, some beautiful writing ("Pavane," "House of Cards," the title track), some of his most concise soloing - but still terrific; his solo on the title track, right down to the bent harmonics at the end being his equivalent, IMO, of Larry Calrton's equally concise but stellar solo in Steely Dan's "Third Workd Man," and his singing with Linda quite possibly at its pinnacle of absolutely stunning harmonization.
    Add to that the absolutely wonderful "Choice Wife/Died for Love".

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I listened to the first disc on the Web site before ordering, and I'm listening to it on my system now. Sounds even better. This one's a winner. I'm curious about the bonus disc now.
    Four more tracks from the same sessions that, while every bit as good, wouldn't quite fit with the overall vibe of the main album. Add to that two tracks from last year's independently released Cabaret of Souls and the aforementioned track from The Old Kit Bag's limited run second disc. A nice bonus, that's worth it for the four tracks, even if you're a completist like me and already have the two-disc Kit Bag and Cabaret of Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Add to that the absolutely wonderful "Choice Wife/Died for Love".
    you bet. Ok, the whole record's a beaut!

Four more tracks from the same sessions that, while every bit as good, wouldn't quite fit with the overall vibe of the main album. Add to that two tracks from last year's independently released Cabaret of Souls and the aforementioned track from The Old Kit Bag's limited run second disc. A nice bonus, that's worth it for the four tracks, even if you're a completist like me and already have the two-disc Kit Bag and Cabaret of Souls.
    Having listened now, I'd say it starts a little weak for me, but has some worthwhile material. Tbh, I'd always opt for the most complete version anyway.

My review is now up, as per my post elsewhere on the forum.

Sorry, can't agree. Leaving Henry the Human Fly for later, I'd recommend starting back near the beginning with I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight and moving forward. iWTSTBL is an early masterpiece, with the one-two punch of the opening "When I Get to the Border" and "Calvary Cross" just flat-out stunning. Taking it out on a positive note with "The End of the Rainbow" and "The Great Valerio," with other winners like "Poor Little Beggar Girl" make this essential. As even early on, his Uilllean Pioes-informed approach to bending guitar notes was already well and firmly in place, and s writing style, while continuing to evolve, already so incredibly mature....

I think it's important to start right at the beginning. Then, after you've picked up a couple more, go back to Henry the Human Fly, reportedly the biggest flop in Warner Bros. history, but still a damn fine record.
    I have to admit, I've never liked his work with Linda. Granted, I've never heard a complete album aside from "Shoot out the Lights", which I've always felt was really weak on the tracks with Linda. Just my opinion, though. I'm not crazy about "Henry the Human Fly", but admittedly its been ages since I heard it.

I have to admit, I've never liked his work with Linda. Granted, I've never heard a complete album aside from "Shoot out the Lights", which I've always felt was really weak on the tracks with Linda. Just my opinion, though. I'm not crazy about "Henry the Human Fly", but admittedly its been ages since I heard it.
    I didn't like it when it came out, but have warmed to it considerably over the years. As for Linda? The three to check out (and if you don't like these, then she really just ain't for you), and in this order (though I do love SOtL):

I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
    Pour Down Like Silver
    First Light

Give the first one a whirl, the writing is stellar, some of his best early work, IMO.

I've always loved Walking On A Wire from that album. Richard sings it on the Live In Providence DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I've always loved Walking On A Wire from that album. Richard sings it on the Live In Providence DVD.
    As do I. I watched Providence again last night. What an excellent DVD.

Also, Richard Thompson fans - he will be appearing on David Letterman tonight. Set your DVRs!

The new record just grows and grows on me the more I play it (which is quite often). I'm also partial to Mock Tudor for the consistently-good songwriting and Across A Crowded Room just for 'When The Spell Is Broken' and 'She Twists The Knife Again'.

I saw the trio playing at The Anvil (that's Basingstoke, England) last Friday night and they tore the place to pieces. The newer stuff translates even better in a live setting. Electric or acoustic, RT is alright by me, but this trio are very good indeed. If you have tickets for upcoming dates you should be in for a real treat.

^Wish I did, but he's not coming anywhere close to Wheeling, WV. A Pittsburgh gig would be nice...

Watched the Letterman episode on DVR. That solo was 15 seconds of BURN!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Watched the Letterman episode on DVR. That solo was 15 seconds of BURN!
    The solo kinda seemed out of place to me, but I guess it was alright. I actually really dug his playing during the vocal parts of the songs. And it's really cool to see him playing a Strat again (he's been playing a custom axe, for something like 20 years now).