Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Thinking Plague! Track from "Hoping Against Hope"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    up for sale (early) next week exclusively from the folks who make it all possible.
    Thanks.
    We hope you buy it in epic quantities.
    Good morning Steve F.
    Consider it done. Put my order in last night.

Will it be available on bandcamp next week? It is listed as a February 10th release there.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Will it be available on bandcamp next week? It is listed as a February 10th release there.

neil
    It will be available on BandCamp on its actual release date, which is February 10. This 'pre-sale' is only for physical copies (CDs) bought directly from the people who make it possible (us).

thank you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thank you!

neil

Does anybody know when the CDs are being mailed to the Kickstarter contributors?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Does anybody know when the CDs are being mailed to the Kickstarter contributors?
    Mike posted this on FB on Jan 3rd

Greetings, ye Plagued. We will have a box of the new CD very shortly. After January 10th, a week from today, we will be mailing the CD out to those Kickstarter supporters who backed us at that level. For everyone else, the CD will 'hit the street' on February 10th.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Mike posted this on FB on Jan 3rd

Greetings, ye Plagued. We will have a box of the new CD very shortly. After January 10th, a week from today, we will be mailing the CD out to those Kickstarter supporters who backed us at that level. For everyone else, the CD will 'hit the street' on February 10th.
    Oh, thanks.

That will be the first 2017 release to hit my CD player.

Just ordered from Wayside. Can't wait!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by MJ-Plagued View Post
    I don't find Elaine's voice devoid of passion or expression. It's more subtle.
    Oh, absolutely! Those brackets around "passionate" were designated the femi Wilsons, not Elaine dF.

But let's not forget that brilliant reviewer over at Progarchives who took his time in revealing to us how "autotuned to death" her voice apparently is on Yugen's Iridule! A classic case of matter insight if ever...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Well, damn good that you got hold of those original tracks, Bob! I always thought her voice retained a most fitting rawness and intensity on Decline and Fall which served the punch of the songs extremely well, and I was looking forward to more of it now.

Still, I can't hear much actual autotuning on her contributions to the Yugen album either, or to Dave Willey's from a few years back - where of course she's juxtaposed against the somewhat more frail timbres of D. Perry and make up a helluva double at that. The review in question that I mentioned, however, was very obviously written by someone who'd never been exposed to the "cleanness" of Elaine dF.'s voice before and so had little bearing for passing judgement on it.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm surprised anybody would Autotune Elaine's voice. Her pitch is extremely good - indeed, it's so good it can have an "uncanny valley" effect. Maybe the engineer was just used to slapping Autotune on any vocals as a matter of course, because that's the current hap'nin' commercial sound and everyone asked for it.

Incidentally, there's another pitch-correction program called Melodyne, which does its job with much less fuss - but apparently the current hap'nin' commercial sound has come to include those digital artifacts Autotune is notorious for, so that's what everyone uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    the current hap'nin' commercial sound
    This description fits TPlague like hand-in-glove!

I'm ordering this the very minute my paycheck hits account tomorrow. Then, in two weeks time, I'll have a Plague bonanza for the pleasure of all in the 'hood.

How did anybody manage to sing before autotune was invented in 1997 ?

^ You remember Olga Marie Mikalsen, right?

^^

And

I could also see Elaine possibly asking for the Autotune herself. It might have been a matter of her being self-critical of her own performances, of having to sing music filled with difficult intervals and chromatic superimpositions, of trying repeated takes to get the pitch dead-on, of coming to focus so tightly on getting it correct as written that she lost perspective, and of her finally asking for the Autotune, to fix flaws no-one else could hear. And from what I know of her, she does seem like someone who could, with the best of intentions, become wrapped up in getting something exactly right.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.

^^ If so, a pity. Its the energy, the flow, that matters in the end.
    Another reason why we love the bands from before autotunes.

I haven't heard the Yugen album mentioned above, but there's no auto-tune on that TP, I guarantee that.

Great song.

Autotune doesn't bother me very much as long as its done artfully and with the objective of creating beauty.

And frankly, nothing in music bothers me as long as it is done artfully.

I'm a little late here, just went thru a move but: Great news! Highly looking forward to this

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I could also see Elaine possibly asking for the Autotune herself. It might have been a matter of her being self-critical of her own performances, of having to sing music filled with difficult intervals and chromatic superimpositions, of trying repeated takes to get the pitch dead-on, of coming to focus so tightly on getting it correct as written that she lost perspective, and of her finally asking for the Autotune, to fix flaws no-one else could hear. And from what I know of her, she does seem like someone who could, with the best of intentions, become wrapped up in getting something exactly right.
    Nope, never. Elaine doesn't work that way, and always defers to the 'producer'. It's a long story, but the main point is that the pitch corrected (not 'auto-corrected) track - done on one song only - was not used, for which we thank Bob. It definitely wasn't needed AND was overdone.

The Plague has broken out in Ohio.

I received my copy this afternoon. A winner all the way around.

^^ Yes! Getting stoked! Somehow, I'll just have to hang on until February 10th!

neil

This is just so uniquely good. Really love the dual stereo'd guitars. And the chords around 5:50 - 6:00. And, well... everything. Would so love to see this live.