Thread: Synthesizer Gear Porn ;-)

  1. #1501
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    That problem is easy solved for me. Not enough money to buy stacks of synthesizers.
    I hear you.
    In these times, most every person selling a used synth seems to think it is their ticket to huge profit. So I too feel what you are describing. But I started collecting synths back in 1985 or so. I have methodically waited for good deals. Sometimes I have waited 20 years or longer to snag something I have wanted. And I have eschewed a number of “normal” purchases over the years in order to afford my synths. I didn’t get my first car until I was 29. I lived in a very small home for 30 years. And I wear very inexpensive clothes!

  2. #1502
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I wish I was that way!
    But a “massive stack of gadgets” is exactly what I have!!!!
    Maybe you need to offload some of that...wotcha got?

  3. #1503
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Maybe you need to offload some of that...wotcha got?
    Well, I have a Casio CZ-1000 all ready to get pushed out the door….it is in its original box. And then there is the Korg EX-800 module, but it has that known quirk where it is in a different key! You know, play a C Major scale and it plays in a different key! I think the fix is well known but I have not checked into it. And then remember that Roland JX-8p that I have mentioned a few times here? My old buddy finally just GAVE it to me because it has some gremlins. The case is the cleanest 8p case I have ever seen. Gorgeous. Almost perfectly clean. But a few voices play at quiet levels, the chorus is always on to a small degree, and a few keys produce stuck notes. And then there are a few miscellaneous intro-level mixers and a few other small things.

    But my JX-10p, Roland JD-800, various DX-7 versions and modules, Kurzweil 2500 XS, Triton, Karma, Korg M3, Kronos, and other goodies are staying put for now.

  4. #1504
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    But my JX-10p, Roland JD-800, various DX-7 versions and modules, Kurzweil 2500 XS, Triton, Karma, Korg M3, Kronos, and other goodies are staying put for now.
    I'd love to get one of those.

  5. #1505
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I hear you.
    In these times, most every person selling a used synth seems to think it is their ticket to huge profit. So I too feel what you are describing. But I started collecting synths back in 1985 or so. I have methodically waited for good deals. Sometimes I have waited 20 years or longer to snag something I have wanted. And I have eschewed a number of “normal” purchases over the years in order to afford my synths. I didn’t get my first car until I was 29. I lived in a very small home for 30 years. And I wear very inexpensive clothes!
    Well, I still have my very first synthesizer. My first polyphonic is thrown away, because it was broke down. Had a cheap electric piano and a Yamaha SK10 organ/string, which are sold and I sold my Roland TB303 bassline. All my modules I still own, though my E-mu Proteus/1 has some problems and my Kawai K1RII is missing sounds, because they are all stored on my computer with an old version of Cubase, which had some kind of storagemodule and the current versions of Cubase don't work with that. My first module, a Yamaha TX81Z is still usable, and I still use it.

  6. #1506
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    851
    You know, my software synths all work pretty flawlessly. Your note above reminds me that old synths from the 80's - 90's are going to need maintenance, and finding someone who can do the job properly will probably cost as much as the synth itself. But there is definitely something special about turning those knobs and looking at the controls.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  7. #1507
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Your note above reminds me that old synths from the 80's - 90's are going to need maintenance, and finding someone who can do the job properly will probably cost as much as the synth itself.
    Both of my Korg MOSS synths (Prophecy and Z1) now suffer from the well-known output issues. Korg now makes a Prophecy plugin, so that's on my short-list. The Z1 is still an essential piece of kit, so I may have to breakdown and get it fixed. We will see!
    Quarkspace on Facebook
    Church of Hed on Facebook
    TabMuse -- an online resource dedicated to iOS, Android, hardware, and desktop music apps and synths
    Church of Hed/Quarkspace on Bandcamp
    The QuarkspaceHed YouTube Channel

  8. #1508
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    You know, my software synths all work pretty flawlessly. Your note above reminds me that old synths from the 80's - 90's are going to need maintenance, and finding someone who can do the job properly will probably cost as much as the synth itself. But there is definitely something special about turning those knobs and looking at the controls.
    I'm very happy with my software synths as well, but nothing beats turning real knobs. Alas nothing I use have real knobs. My Yamaha TX81Z is more or less used as a preset synth, though I have made some sounds of my own. The Nord G2 Engine is in the end software driven, so all the turning knobs is done on the computer screen, just like with my software synths.

    My first polyphonic synthesizer was a Bit 99 from Crumar, which was a hell to program, with changing one thing at a time and using up and down membrane switches. Besides the cassette-interface seemed to be made in hell as well.

  9. #1509
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, I still have my very first synthesizer. My first polyphonic is thrown away, because it was broke down. Had a cheap electric piano and a Yamaha SK10 organ/string, which are sold and I sold my Roland TB303 bassline. All my modules I still own, though my E-mu Proteus/1 has some problems and my Kawai K1RII is missing sounds, because they are all stored on my computer with an old version of Cubase, which had some kind of storagemodule and the current versions of Cubase don't work with that. My first module, a Yamaha TX81Z is still usable, and I still use it.
    I always like your approach, Rarebird. I have three 81Z’s!!! They sound great in general, especially in a mix.

    @BobM. You are correct. Hardware does need maintenance from time to time.

    @TheNefariousHED I LOVE the Korg MOSS sounds. I have a MOSS board in my Karma, and a RADIAS board in one of my Korg synths. I have an actual Radias synth as well.

    @dropforge Yes, the JD-800 is one of the best boards. Wakeman and Tony Banks used theirs forever. The amount of real time control is fabbo. I grabbed mine about 4 years ago at a decent (but not great) price. They are crazy-expensive now.

    I really wish I was more skilled with computers, and had a new computer, perhaps I might get into Soft Synths. But for now, I adore that stack of TechnoRubble in my studio. The only trouble is the space it takes away from my very large drum set!

    By the way, I actually passed on seeing Steve Roach in concert here in Tucson last weekend. It was bad timing for me. He is such a great player (and an example of a pro with tons of older synths). He is sooooo nice too. I have had a chance to talk with him at our local Music Store (he recommended I get a Electrix Repeater, which I did!). And I have played hand drums with him at a Steven Kent (didgeridoo) concert once. And so prolific too!
    Last edited by Gizmotron; 5 Days Ago at 05:09 PM.

  10. #1510
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I always like your approach, Rarebird. I have three 81Z’s!!! They sound great in general, especially in a mix.

    @BobM. You are correct. Hardware does need maintenance from time to time.

    @TheNefariousHED I LOVE the Korg MOSS sounds. I have a MOSS board in my Karma, and a RADIAS board in one of my Korg synths. I have an actual Radias synth as well.

    @dropforge Yes, the JD-800 is one of the best boards. Wakeman and Tony Banks used theirs forever. The amount of real time control is fabbo. I grabbed mine about 4 years ago at a decent (but not great) price. They are crazy-expensive now.

    I really wish I was more skilled with computers, and had a new computer, perhaps I might get into Soft Synths. But for now, I adore that stack of TechnoRubble in my studio. The only trouble is the space it takes away from my very large drum set!

    By the way, I actually passed on seeing Steve Roach in concert here in Tucson last weekend. It was bad timing for me. He is such a great player (and an example of a pro with tons of older synths). He is sooooo nice too. I have had a chance to talk with him at our local Music Store (he recommended I get a Electrix Repeater, which I did!). And I have played hand drums with him at a Steven Kent (didgeridoo) concert once. And so prolific too!
    My Yamaha TX81Z was the first multi-timbral module I bought and it still works, after more than 30 years.
    I love computers. Without them I can't make music. Yes, I would be able to compose, but not to hear it. I love softsynths, but I would love it if Arturia would add some more keyboards to their V Collection, like more organs, Hohner pianet and some Roland stuff.

  11. #1511
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    My Yamaha TX81Z was the first multi-timbral module I bought and it still works, after more than 30 years.
    I love computers. Without them I can't make music. Yes, I would be able to compose, but not to hear it. I love softsynths, but I would love it if Arturia would add some more keyboards to their V Collection, like more organs, Hohner pianet and some Roland stuff.
    I'm actually a little surprised that Arturia is able to keep including Roland emulations in the V-Collection now that Roland has their own subscription model. I'm guessing there must be some long-term licensing in place that Roland can't break
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

    Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

  12. #1512
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm actually a little surprised that Arturia is able to keep including Roland emulations in the V-Collection now that Roland has their own subscription model. I'm guessing there must be some long-term licensing in place that Roland can't break
    That is something I'm wondering about as well, but the only way to obtain some Roland stuff is either have a subscription, which I don't want, or buy some Behringer products based on Roland stuff. I so would love to play with the set of the model 101 and the model 102 from the series 100, or with the Roland SH5, which was on display in a music store in The Hague, where I bought my first synthesizer and my first polyphonic synthesizer (a store that was so famous, that someone wrote a book about them and a lot of Dutch bands bought their equipment there). I don't like subscriptions, only for magazines and my contactlenses I consider them usefull.

  13. #1513
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,601
    I ran across this free browser-based, virtual drum/rhythm machine today.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •