Thread: FEATURED CD : Onsegen Ensemble - Awalai

FEATURED CD : Onsegen Ensemble - Awalai

Here's a lesser known effort from this Finnish band from 2016 that could use a little attention. Awalai sits somewhere between stoner rock, space rock, with a modern, heavy edge.

Review from rotation11.com
    Staff Rating: Crank this to 10 of 11
    | Editor's Pick
    Genre:
    Space rock, Progressive, Psychedelic
    Sounds Like:
    3rd Ear Experience, Farflung, Tool
    It took us quite a while and countless listens to put forth this review and yet we still feel like we’re not doing it justice. Welcome the mystic aura of Onsegen Ensemble from Finland. The band has found unique ways to explore the outer realms of the space, psychedelic and progressive rock genres. The experimental nature of the band is inspiring as they keep the music colorful and intriguing. Their chemistry is pretty remarkable, the way the music flows between mesmerizing space rock and heavy psychedelics is downright masterful. Awalai, released through Pink Tank Records will consume your conscious and fill the need for any music exploration you desire.

What are the highlights of Awalai?
    This is a tough one, the album is loaded with so many highlights. The track “Solei” comes to mind right away and its brilliance. Talk about a song that has it all; chanting vocals, flutes and heaviness, it’s a psychedelic trip worth taking. The last cut “HottoizzoH” features some classic Rush elements, we’re talking Caress of Steel era Rush. The synths in the title track Awalaï are terrific and adds a touch of 70s psychedelia to the mix. We can keep going, but just take our word for it and crank this one up, you’ll appreciate the craftsmanship.

How is the production value?
    Excellent, the bass has a bottomless feel and is the foundation to each song. Each instrument is balanced perfectly.

How is the vocal performance?
    The vocals are very distinctive, there doesn’t seem to be one dominant vocal performance. At times we hear some death metal styled vocals and others we are treated to some falsetto type chants, very unique.

Give us two words that describe this album?
    Psychedelic Exploration

Does the album art reflect the music?
    Yes, the artwork shows some sort of an eclipse from outer space, very fitting.

What adult beverage do we recommend while listening to this album?
    Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale. The wonderful aroma, balance of the mild nut flavor and the slight hint of sweetness is the perfect choice. It may actually enhance the experience of the album.

What are our final thoughts on Awalai?
    Awalia is one of those albums that had us hooked from the start and never let go. The boundless musical journey Onsegen Ensemble will take you on is tremendous and had earned this album a rare 10 rating. Bands like Hawkwind, MC5 or even Frank Zappa will come to mind, there is just too much going on to put into words, just forgo previewing this one and get it.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just ordered this. Damn it's good.

The longer (second) track is awesome, but I thought the first one not nearly as good.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I wonder if the cover art was inspired by this Finnish salty liquorice candy, which is known to cause extreme reactions when fed to non-Finns:

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I tried but the clips don't really do much for me.

is this what the hipsters call "stoner rock"?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Awalaï (title track) is my favourite track on the album which is awesome.

Last edited by Svetonio; 01-06-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    This album is not stoner rock at all imo.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-06-2017 at 01:18 AM.

It's pretty close to what's featured inside the stoner rock thread on PE, though maybe slightly proggier

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    This album is not stoner rock at all imo.
    Borderline, IMHO

Awalaï (title track) is my favourite track on the album which is awesome.

Yeah, you're right, the t/t is better...

But the full album is available in two parts on YT

====================

I kind of like it, thanks to Cozy for the discovery

this album could make my top 20 of 2016, but beware of the novelty factor.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-06-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's pretty close to what's featured inside the stoner rock thread on PE, (...)
    Not even close, imo.

Album released in january 2016, but only on vinyl

unfortunately these little jokers think it's intelligent not to cater the CD

As if they were selling them vinyls by the thousands

Not even close, imo.
    Sigh....

Have you even posted on that thread??
    (NB: I didn't check to see if you did, BTW)

There are plenty of proggy bands inside what's called "stoner rock"... including Sienna Root.

=================

These guys are a cross of heavy/stoner with a touch of post rock and another of Space Rock... and a teaspoon of Zeuhl for the final colour

That's what I detect within 24h of my discovering the band.
    Last edited by Trane; 01-06-2017 at 02:32 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sigh....

Have you even posted on that thread??
    (NB: I didn't check to see if you did, BTW)

There are plenty of proggy bands inside what's called "stoner rock"... including Sienna Root.

=================

These guys are a cross of heavy/stoner with a touch of post rock and another of Space Rock...

That's what I detect within 24h of my discovering the band.
    IMO, the album is pretty "normal" contemporary Progressive rock.
    Nothing of stoner-rock aesthetic on the album imo.

^^
    Yes they are , but stoner rock dudes would encompass them easily in their fold.

Banned
    ^^ For example, this is, to these ears, a mix that contains stoner-rock, while Onsegen Ensemble is quite different.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-06-2017 at 03:27 AM.

IMO, the album is pretty "normal" contemporary Progressive rock.
    Nothing of stoner-rock aesthetic on the album imo.
    seriously Svet, your style labeling leaves much to be desired.
    In your 'recommendation' thread I can no longer trust how you describe a band. A bunch of what you call "jazz-rock" or is just power trio Rock stuff or worse, contains vocals, something 99.9% of true Jazz Rock does not have.

and some of the things you call "instrumental contemporary prog" sound closer to RTF than the stuff you call "jazz-rock"

face it man, you've got your own way of describing styles that does not connect in any way shape or form with the way others describe music.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    seriously Svet, your style labeling leaves much to be desired.
    In your 'recommendation' thread I can no longer trust how you describe a band. A bunch of what you call "jazz-rock" or is just power trio Rock stuff or worse, contains vocals, something 99.9% of true Jazz Rock does not have.

and some of the things you call "instrumental contemporary prog" sound closer to RTF than the stuff you call "jazz-rock"

face it man, you've got your own way of describing styles that does not connect in any way shape or form with the way others describe music.
    I just said my opinion about featured CD. As you can see, I put *IMO* stamp on every my post on this thread. So go away.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-06-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Banned
    Onsegen Ensemble's bandcamp page with full-album stream:
    https://onsgenensemble.bandcamp.com/releases

Onsegen Ensemble at progarchives: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.a...83#discography

Onségen Ensemble biography
    ONSEGEN ENSEMBLE are a Finnish trio with an extended line-up of players. They do driving guitar-based hard rock with tight dynamics, unexpected tempos and shifts, surprising purity and occasional Finnish chanting. The partnership of bassist Esa JUUJARVI and drummer Veijo PULKKINEN goes back to 1993 in goth-metal band PARADE OF SOULS. That year JUUJARVI joins BLACK CRUCIFIXION which becomes more progressive PROMETHEAN, and releases 'Gazing the Invisible' (1997) and 'Somber Regards' (1998). By '98, PULKKINEN has recruited JUUJARVI for RAUTAKANKI, eventually beginning their own project in 2004 when guitarist Kimmo NISSINEN is drafted.
    15-minute EP 'Hiukkavaara Sessions' was relesed in 2005 to encouraging reviews and 2007 saw their follow-up, 'HottoïzzoH', garnering even better responses.
    A good representative of the current movement in prog rock toward straight-forward garage band sounds, unassuming and genuine but with high musicianship all around.

-- Atavachron (David) --

Why this artist must be listed in www.progarchives.com :
    Small but solid band doing inventive things on the heavier side of Prog.

Discography:
    Hiukkavaara Sessions, studio album (EP, 2005)
    HottoïzzoH, studio album (EP, 2007)
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-06-2017 at 06:35 AM.