Thread: Tod Dosckstader-From the Archives

Tod Dosckstader-From the Archives

I've heard rumors of this release since his death in early 2015. Apparently Mr. Dockstader had over 150 hours of unreleased music buried on some smoldering hard drive at his home. While primarily known (perhaps best in class) as a sound collage/tape splicer he also experimented with more modern computer driven techniques as evidenced by this posthumously released superb collection of relatively recent pieces released on the Starkland label and the previous 3 cd set "Ariel" on Sub Rosa.

Thanks to the aforementioned Starkland label, along with Recommended Records release of 2 great sounds works ("Pond" and "Bijou") from the 90's the world was treated to the wonders of Tod's wholly unique sound world. Working initially with a wonderfully simplistic and analog methodology of slicing and dicing tapes, painstakingly by hand and re-arranging them into something that would (or could) never happen, the final product was nothing less than brilliant and very original. Just listen to Starkland's "Quartermass" and "Apocalypse" and be prepared for outstanding sonic cinema and sharp vivid pictures that can only be seen with the minds eye.

In 2006 Sub Rosa released the massive "Ariel" box which had Tod seemingly moving on from the arcane tape cutting to something more modern...and by modern I mean "retro" modern ala George Jetson perhaps. The "Ariel" box of 3 cd's is a massive collection of ghost-like radio waves and whispy sonic phantasms that occasionally and inexplicably reach sonic mayhem industrial proportions. This collection is truly a mind (and ear if listened to at high levels) cleansing experience!

So, knowing this archive release was out there somewhere...thanks to his daughter Tina and chosen curator Justin Brierly it's with great pleasure that Starkland has finally brought this above ground for all of us to hear. It's a collection of shortish to medium length fully fleshed out compositions done solely with modern gear (computers, synths etc.). At times highly detailed, it can also get quite raw in a Merzbow wall of noise sort of way. Of course it's all brilliant and I would not hesitate to give it a full 5 star rating...it could even be a great launching pad for the Dockstader newbie who could then work their way back.

"From the Archives" is a fitting tribute to a man whose name can easily fit alongside all the other great sound pioneers (Pierre Henry, Pierre Schaeffer, Luc Ferrari, Bernard Parmegiani just to name a few). Highly recommended!!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The "Search" function is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    So is offering gratitude for an insightful and thoughtful post.

I like this...I like it especially because it inspired me to break out both Apocalypse and Quatermass again.

Good god, what amazing talent he had.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Sorry man maybe the mods can combine the threads to save bandwidth because I'm sure this thread will reach epic proportions
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap