Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-Nursery Cryme - The Musical Box

Pre-Nursery Cryme - The Musical Box

Here is an early version of the Musical Box, several months prior to the recording of it on Nursery Cryme. It's a work-in-progress. Some of the lyrics haven't been written. There are parts in the final version that are not in this one.

The particulars:

Recorded in the BBC on May 10, 1971. http://bbchron.blogspot.com/2013/05/...-sessions.html

Nursery Cryme was recorded in August 1971 and released in November 1971. So this was three months before the recording on the studio version

What is most interesting is Steve Hackett's parts. Hackett joined around Christmas 1970, so he was in the band around five months at this point. His guitar tone was different, sounding very fuzz boxy. The lead guitar around the 4:00 mark sounds 1960-ish to me. He changed a lot in the three months from this recording to the Nursery Cryme recording.I don't think he was tapping yet.

Interesting evolution of this song. Of course, parts of the song were started in the 60s.

As I said on the Canterbury thread, these BBC sessions of the 70s have so much historical value. In the case of Genesis, the most interesting BBC material is their first session, as it had all those songs which never made it into the studio at all.

This 'Musical Box' is from their second BBC session and is essentially a first draft of the track with Gabriel singing dummy lyrics in part. The Nursery Cryme arrangement is undoubtedly tighter and superior, but it's interesting to hear. A pity they didn't do unrecorded things like 'The Light', 'Wooden Mask' (nobody has ever heard this!) and the rock arrangement of 'Going Out To Get You' for the BBC. (PS;Seven Stones' is a marvellous track that they should have played more often. I think Steve Hackett should do that one.)

Genesis have issued very few of their BBC sessions...basically only what's on the first Archive box. Probably the BBC holy grail for me would be the full Wembley '75 which the BBC broadcast in part.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-14-2017 at 11:11 AM.

I think Tony Banks said that Ant and Mick Barnard (the temporary guitarist who played with them briefly after it was decided the quartet experiment wasn't going to work) should have been listed in the byline, because apparently both of contributed to the final result.

Hackett & Banks have told me that The Wooden Mask was recorded. No one can find it, evidently.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I have heard horrid quality live versions of both The Light & the rock version of Going Out To Get You. I wish I could find where I have them!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I have heard horrid quality live versions of both The Light & the rock version of Going Out To Get You. I wish I could find where I have them!
    Both are on Youtube.

Even though the audio quality is terrible, what we have of "The Light" is incredible. A classic sub-epic (8 1/2 minutes) song with all the parts needed to fill out Nursery Cryme to a length similar to all their other albums. A great loss for sure. I love that song. Thank you random guy in Belgium 1971!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Even though the audio quality is terrible, what we have of "The Light" is incredible. A classic sub-epic (8 1/2 minutes) song with all the parts needed to fill out Nursery Cryme to a length similar to all their other albums. A great loss for sure. I love that song. Thank you random guy in Belgium 1971!
    Yeah, but if they had actually used it, we wouldn't have had Lilywhite Lilith.

Thanks for posting this. The Musical Box remains my favorite song for all these years. I find it perfect. It's interesting to see how it progressed (no pun intended) to perfection.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Here is an early version of the Musical Box, several months prior to the recording of it on Nursery Cryme. It's a work-in-progress. Some of the lyrics haven't been written. There are parts in the final version that are not in this one.

The particulars:

Recorded in the BBC on May 10, 1971. http://bbchron.blogspot.com/2013/05/...-sessions.html

Nursery Cryme was recorded in August 1971 and released in November 1971. So this was three months before the recording on the studio version

What is most interesting is Steve Hackett's parts. Hackett joined around Christmas 1970, so he was in the band around five months at this point. His guitar tone was different, sounding very fuzz boxy. The lead guitar around the 4:00 mark sounds 1960-ish to me. He changed a lot in the three months from this recording to the Nursery Cryme recording.I don't think he was tapping yet.

Interesting evolution of this song. Of course, parts of the song were started in the 60s.
    Also, "Manipulation" from Genesis Plays Jackson (dated 9 Jan 1970 on the tape box) is another step in between Ant's demo and the BBC recording.

Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting demo but Collin's 'crash bang whallop' approach when let loose is very prominent here during the instrumental section!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Interesting demo but Collin's 'crash bang whallop' approach when let loose is very prominent here during the instrumental section!
    All the articles in drummer/musicians' magazines about Phil Collins that I've read emphasize how "musical" his drumming is. Direct quote, over and over. "Crash, bang, whallop?" Once again, you show yourself to be the singularly most unknowledgeable person on the board. The wearer of the surgically attached dunce cap. The fool. The moron.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 01-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    All the articles in drummer/musicians' magazines about Phil Collins that I've read emphasize how "musical" his drumming is. Direct quote, over and over. "Crash, bang, whallop?" One again, you show yourself to be the singularly most unknowledgeable person on the board. The wearer of the surgically attached dunce cap. The fool. The moron.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    As I said on the Canterbury thread, these BBC sessions of the 70s have so much historical value. In the case of Genesis, the most interesting BBC material is their first session, as it had all those songs which never made it into the studio at all.

This 'Musical Box' is from their second BBC session and is essentially a first draft of the track with Gabriel singing dummy lyrics in part. The Nursery Cryme arrangement is undoubtedly tighter and superior, but it's interesting to hear. A pity they didn't do unrecorded things like 'The Light', 'Wooden Mask' (nobody has ever heard this!) and the rock arrangement of 'Going Out To Get You' for the BBC.

Genesis have issued very few of their BBC sessions...basically only what's on the first Archive box. Probably the BBC holy grail for me would be the full Wembley '75 which the BBC broadcast in part.
    The complete BBC sessions are always an enjoyable listen to me. I particularly enjoy the versions of Hogweed - one with very prominent vocals from PC.

You sure the Wembley '75 show was a BBC recording? I was under the impression G had the masters in their possession.

^It was broadcast by the BBC at the time, I didn't say they recorded it as I don't know who did what. Around that time they also broadcast Pink Floyd playing live at the same place (Wembley Empire Pool), which I gather is the only multi-track live recording of that whole period.

There has indeed been speculation that the band have the complete show. They are sitting on some really great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    The complete BBC sessions are always an enjoyable listen to me.
    Yep, one of my favourites! For starters, it's the only other recording of Harlequin we have.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I actually prefer the first version of Stagnation!

^I only recently discovered 'Seven Stones' was played live.
    Yes, the August '72 gig from Genoa, Italy is the only known live recording. As far as I'm aware, it was only brought out for that short tour and never played again. Fortunately someone taped that show, at least. It's long been a top five Genesis show for me because of that significant rarity! There are one or two other major rarities from those early days of course, but I happen to love that song.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yep, one of my favourites! For starters, it's the only other recording of Harlequin we have.
    Actually, there's another Harlequin from Watford, Technical College, 04-Mar-1972, but it's an appalling sound quality audience source.

wholllley shit!!

I had no idea this had been put on YT (not even aware it existed)

There is a version of The Light, too!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by squonkduke View Post
    Actually, there's another Harlequin from Watford, Technical College, 04-Mar-1972, but it's an appalling sound quality audience source.
    Ahh, of course! And I have that too, on an old Highland label boot.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    All the articles in drummer/musicians' magazines about Phil Collins that I've read emphasize how "musical" his drumming is. Direct quote, over and over. "Crash, bang, whallop?" Once again, you show yourself to be the singularly most unknowledgeable person on the board. The wearer of the surgically attached dunce cap. The fool. The moron.
    Put his trophy's on the table....zilch

Collins is known as a 'good drummer' in the industry, nothing more and nothing less.

Ah, OK, that wasn't clear to me. The PF BBC recording was mostly released in their recent box set versions - all except Echoes.

'Seven Stones' is a marvellous track that they should have played more often. I think Steve Hackett should do that one.
    Agreed, and I'm surprised he hasn't dusted it off for the GR tours. I know he's fond of it, as he told me himself!

'Echoes' is just recently also out...but, alas, buried within the exclusive disc of the expensive Early Years box.
    Is it, missed that. Not worth $470 though Will have to live with my acceptable boot version.