Thread: Classical excerpt in Yessong's Clap?

Classical excerpt in Yessong's Clap?

Tired of googling and figured I could definitely get an answer here. Anyone know what the passage around 2:30 in the Yessong's version of Clap is? Sounds like a classical quote (the part with the open string pull offs). Thanks in advance!
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    Tired of googling and figured I could definitely get an answer here. Anyone know what the passage around 2:30 in the Yessong's version of Clap is? Sounds like a classical quote (the part with the open string pull offs). Thanks in advance!
    I don't have that handy, but he did weave in parts of "Classical Gas" often.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think but I'm not sure, that it is an original piece. On the bonus track version of The Yes Album, there is a studio version of Clap and that piece is in there as well as some of in its infant stage, Mood for a Day.

Hope that helps.

Took me a minute to figure out you were talking about the film, not the album!

I think you're right, at about 2:20 that part with the pull offs is, I believe, a classical piece. I thought it might be Romance, but it isn't. I'll swear I've heard it on a classical guitar CD somewhere, but I can't put my finger on what it is. At about 2:28 he goes into another piece which may or may not be related to the first piece, then he does a Flamenco-like part that could just be an exercise or it could be a classical/Flamenco piece, or it could be original (it bears a strong resemblance to a part he plays in Sound Chaser during the guitar break).

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows.

Bill

I'm no Spanish guitar expert, but maybe a part of "Leyenda" or "Sevilla" by Albeniz?

This is great regardless!

^PS - Look at that LH shape - eat your heart out Fripp!

Thanks for the replies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwVMol1-DrY

You're right Ronmac, Howe has incorporated parts of Classical Gas but not here.

Onward- thanks for the tip. Surprisingly, I don't have that version in my collection but am aware of it. It could be original but the opening part 2:20-2:30 sounds like a quote to me.

Sputnik- I agree with your breakdown (not having heard the alternate studio version). The pull off section doesn't sound in the style of Howe. After 2:30 could be something completely different as it shifts styles and could (from 2:30 on) be original.

Chalkpie- thanks for the suggestion. Not Leyanda though it was damn good hearing Segovia's version of it! :-)

Included the clip- something I should have done to begin with.
    “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

I don't know about Yes, but definitely The Doors...

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I don't know about Yes, but definitely The Doors...
    Wow, did they acknowledge Albeniz or was that flat out theft?

There was no credit, so if you want to consider a classical quote theft, then yeah. They also didn't credit Chopin on "Hyacinth House," or Mongo Santamaria for whatever track it is that borrows "Afro Blue" on Absolutely Live.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Robby Krieger was a flamenco guitar student prior to joining The Doors. I believe they acknowledged the guitar part was a "reworking" of the melody from the classical piece "Asturias" by Albéniz, but it wasn't listed on the album credits.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Took me a minute to figure out you were talking about the film, not the album!

I think you're right, at about 2:20 that part with the pull offs is, I believe, a classical piece. I thought it might be Romance, but it isn't. I'll swear I've heard it on a classical guitar CD somewhere, but I can't put my finger on what it is. At about 2:28 he goes into another piece which may or may not be related to the first piece, then he does a Flamenco-like part that could just be an exercise or it could be a classical/Flamenco piece, or it could be original (it bears a strong resemblance to a part he plays in Sound Chaser during the guitar break).

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows.

Bill
    Hey Bill! Yeah, that section from 2:32 to 2:45 is totally Sound Chaser! That section from 2:20-2:30 is still driving me crazy, though. Nothing more than a simple sequence but it sounds like 'something'.

Hey Bill! Yeah, that section from 2:32 to 2:45 is totally Sound Chaser!
    Yeah, I played them side by side and it sounded pretty identical to me. Same key even. I'm guessing that was a exercise of some sort, could be original, or could have been derived from an exercise in Spanish or Flamenco guitar. It may be an actual piece, but I've never heard exactly that in another piece.

That section from 2:20-2:30 is still driving me crazy, though. Nothing more than a simple sequence but it sounds like 'something'.
    Yeah, now it's driving me crazy too. I keep checking in to see it someone has solved the mystery.

Bill

It just sounds baroque to me - possibly a Bach or Vivaldi chord progression? If its an actual piece, maybe SH is the only one who may know which one.

Here's 2:20-2:45 Click on image to see full size.

Clap excerpt.jpg
    Last edited by DaleGtr; 01-01-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    I think but I'm not sure, that it is an original piece. On the bonus track version of The Yes Album, there is a studio version of Clap and that piece is in there as well as some of in its infant stage, Mood for a Day.

Hope that helps.
    Just listened to that version. Haven't heard it since shortly after it was released. With the exception of the Mood for a Day passage this is it! Maybe it is original but as Chalkpie says it has a certain old time feel to it.

Not Necessarily Acoustic does feature a small bit of Hugo Alfven's Swedish Rhapsody - I no longer have the CD, but it's credited just after Mood for Day, but might have been segued into the track there. --Peter

I know Mood for a Day sounds a bit like the children's song that is sung in Hitchcocks The Birds during the school scene where the birds move in on the elementary school lol

Thanks for the tip Peter. Pretty sure I have NNA at home. Will have to check it out.

Here's 2:20-2:45 Click on image to see full size.

Clap excerpt.jpg
    LOL, holy crap. Someone actually transcribed the film version? That's an impressive level of Howe fanboy-ism!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

LOL! Just that section. The rest of it I'll leave to the OCD Conall Gallagher to figure out!

Segovia was Prog.
    The Prog Corner