Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: Canterbury Binge 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "They're posers but we're the real deal because I've read Adorno."
    This made me chuckle.

That interview with Cutler was a dispiriting read in many ways. I don't know the theory behind his work, but the whole principle of the (negative) dialectics of opposition seems to me to be a false premise - opposition is necessarily derivative on that which it is negating, & draws its force primarily from the dynamics of negating.

I was struck when I talked with Georgie Born that in her own theoretical work, this whole "oppositional" dynamic was completely absent. Where opposition & negation work within a closed, restricted, economy, her thinking seemed to me to revel in openness & the richness of creative difference.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    the whole principle of the (negative) dialectics of opposition seems to me to be a false premise - opposition is necessarily derivative on that which it is negating, & draws its force primarily from the dynamics of negating.
    Precisely. It's his understanding of dialectics in polemics; to overcome an 'adversary' through demonstrations of supreme might - as taken from (and a token to) Marx' model of conflict.

Prog fans may ponder on Bruford's frustration over Squire's relentless attention to details of his bass sound, but in Henry Cow a composing member would actually distribute written sheets and charts for the other members to evaluate through scrutiny of theoretical criticism; "No way! This five-note ostinato-passage right here [harshly pointing finger, ed.] - making for three seconds out of a 12-minute piece - has too much Tchaikovsky-like in it, and that's petty bourgeois!"

FWIW, most of these absurdities are collected in the Cow boxset booklets, which also feature an outstanding essay of Born's. I have to say that in hindsight I find some of her recollections more historically productive than Cutler's ongoing discourse of analysis.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Isn't it getting close to the time of the Canterbury Binge 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Isn't it getting close to the time of the Canterbury Binge 2018?
    Oh VERY soon, and its you that is going to choose the first album.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Oh VERY soon, and its you that is going to choose the first album.
    Oh snap, that's a lot of pressure! Do I have to choose now?

Actually, I think I would pick Soft Machine's Volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Affordable copies of Accidents, and Clavier available from vendors.
    The esteemed Mr. F is too humble to self-promote, but he is in possession of a couple of handfuls of "The Foul-Tempered Clavier" that I unearthed recently, and has them up for sale on the Wayside site....practically giving them away! http://www.waysidemusic.com/search.a...scal+reporters

Man, you can go through the Wayside "blowout" section, spend $30 bucks on 4 or 5 discs, and get your head spun around. I highly recommend doing that, but make sure you include "Foul" as one of the purchases! You won't regret it. And as my dear mx20 states above, you MUST hear 'Psychlops".

[QUOTE=aith01;666711]Just wanted to duck in here for a sec and mention that I've finally obtained In The Land Of Grey And Pink and given it a couple of listens.

In that case, you might really enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDLgz3KHYA

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post

that's such a wonderful clip.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I just love Sinclair's & Hasting's voices together! I hadn't seen that clip before.

[QUOTE=veteranof1000psychicwars;771688]
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just wanted to duck in here for a sec and mention that I've finally obtained In The Land Of Grey And Pink and given it a couple of listens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDLgz3KHYA
    Just beautiful! And somewhat unreal. These bands actually existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    that's such a wonderful clip.
    Agreed - absofruitly phenomenal! Sinclair voice is so wonderful - like melted butter. What a gem that clip is - thanks Veteran for posting that
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson