Thread: Canterbury Binge 2017

  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Talking of production/mixing...I have to return to that first Soft Machine album and confess I've never liked the way that sounds. Whoever mixed this went crazy with the 'psychedelic' panning. The 2nd album doesn't have the same production clarity but is a much more satisfying, unified mix IMHO.
    I just love the way this albums sounds like - clarity and lots of punch

  2. #52
    Chronic Overspender zombywoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I just love the way this albums sounds like - clarity and lots of punch
    Yeah! The most sonically pleasing of the early Softs albums and the one I return to the most.

    I admit I'm not the biggest Soft Machine fan (though I appreciate them). Softs 1 is the one I most personally connect with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

    colouratura.bandcamp.com

  3. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    To the contrary, I LOVE the way Softs 1 sounds. It's the best sounding record they produced, at least with Wyatt.
    No, that would be "Fourth" - but I assume that like many you don't see it as really a "Wyatt-era" Soft Machine album because he doesn't sing on it. Anyway, this is to my ears a flawless production, despite being done in the same studio & with the same engineer (George Chkiantz - also at the desk for the 1972-74-era King Crimson albums among others) as "Volume Two".

    I personally think the first Soft Machine album sounds great. There's a psych ingredient to the general musical vibe that justifies (imho) some of the over-the-top production effects, which take little away from its greatness. It's one of the great 1968 rock albums as well as being one of the stepping stones of the Canterbury subgenre.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php
    Excerpts from interviews : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...z9EvJjeuxQJ4x5

  4. #54
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,190
    In honor of Dave Stewart & Mont Campbell's birthdays I'm wearing my 'Canterbury' shirt

    canterbury.jpg
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  5. #55
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    ^^^^

    Do Mont and Dave share bdays?
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  6. #56
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^

    Do Mont and Dave share bdays?
    Actually the same day - 30 December 1950
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  7. #57
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    In honor of Dave Stewart & Mont Campbell's birthdays I'm wearing my 'Canterbury' shirt

    canterbury.jpg
    Is that a football kit?

  8. #58
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Kevin Ayers and the Whole World (Window) - Shooting at the Moon
    Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy

    I had forgotten how much I love these albums, especially 'Moon'. Such a different angle on the Canterbury vibe, but man, sometimes this music just hits you. SOULFUL. What an amazing voice. Love the accordion.

  9. #59
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, that settles it -- Legend it is! Many thanks, gentlemen.

    The prospect of getting acquainted with this music gives me much to look forward to, and currently I have Soft Machine's Third playing on Spotify. Would you believe it's the first time I've ever heard it?

    Seriously, thank you all for the recommendations and the discussion. This is quite an enjoyable thread so far.

    Edit: Just ordered Legend by HCow, and the Live BBC sessions double album by Caravan from Wayside. Woohoo!
    Aaron - good man! Enjoy the ride. Don't expect Third to necessarily hit you on the first two or three spins, but I think eventually it will. "The Moon in June" is one of my favorite tracks, period. Those other two are both amazing. There is a wealth in this subgenre that, well, takes an entire book to write about Its more proof of how deep and eclectic English rock music can be.

  10. #60
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    No, that would be "Fourth" - but I assume that like many you don't see it as really a "Wyatt-era" Soft Machine album because he doesn't sing on it. Anyway, this is to my ears a flawless production, despite being done in the same studio & with the same engineer (George Chkiantz - also at the desk for the 1972-74-era King Crimson albums among others) as "Volume Two".

    I personally think the first Soft Machine album sounds great. There's a psych ingredient to the general musical vibe that justifies (imho) some of the over-the-top production effects, which take little away from its greatness. It's one of the great 1968 rock albums as well as being one of the stepping stones of the Canterbury subgenre.
    I'm still waiting for Fourth to hit me over the head - not sure it will at this point - but I do enjoy it. I just don't worship it in the same manner I do other SM albums, or other Canterbury for that matter. There is no doubt that if RW sang on it that it might pull me in.

  11. #61
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    One more quick thought - I am going to make a prediction that (some) Cardiacs fans would love "Shooting at the Moon". Not because it SOUNDS like Tim and Co., but there is a similar vibe and feeling of bubbling energy ready to explode at any given minute. I never made that connection until now, and of course I could be very well talking out me arse.

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    248
    Fourth is easily th SM album I enjoy the most, closely followed by Third, Volume Two and the rest. Teeth is unbelievably and impossibly tight. Its version in the long medley appearing on one of the BBC broadcast releases is very, very cool, with two basses (Hugh Hopper and Roy Babbington!) and a refusing-to-work fuzz box. Ok, I'm going to spin it now.

  13. #63
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Fourth is easily th SM album I enjoy the most, closely followed by Third, Volume Two and the rest. Teeth is unbelievably and impossibly tight. Its version in the long medley appearing on one of the BBC broadcast releases is very, very cool, with two basses (Hugh Hopper and Roy Babbington!) and a refusing-to-work fuzz box. Ok, I'm going to spin it now.
    This is what I need sometimes - passionate vibes from people whose tastes I respect - I will certainly dig in again and report my findings. I do dig "Teeth" a bunch fwiw.

  14. #64
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332


    This is flippin fantastic IMO.

  15. #65
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332

  16. #66
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,190
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Is that a football kit?
    Rubgy - England Rugby Union Six Nations Shirt, manufactured by the New Zealand firm Canterbury.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  17. #67
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    I have to second with Aymeric that "Fourth" is the best sounding (sounding) official release with Robert by far.

    The actual best sounding recordings with Robert are found on the Hux BBC disc (most of it) and on Backwards (the 1st part, which is from the 1970 quartet concert.
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  18. #68
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Kevin Ayers and the Whole World (Window) - Shooting at the Moon
    Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy

    I had forgotten how much I love these albums, especially 'Moon'. Such a different angle on the Canterbury vibe, but man, sometimes this music just hits you. SOULFUL. What an amazing voice. Love the accordion.
    Big Ayers fan here. Sometimes I see Joy of a Toy as a sort of an alternative way SM could have followed. Amazingly composed, arranged and played. The track "Song for insane times" with the Softs as the backing band is great.

  19. #69
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Big Ayers fan here. Sometimes I see Joy of a Toy as a sort of an alternative way SM could have followed.
    Yes. If Kevin had wanted to be calling the shots as band leader and they wanted it, that is a sound they could have followed.

    I really like Joy Of A Toy. I like Kevin's albums, but in general, I find it is diminishing returns after Joy Of A Toy to some degree. JOAT remains by far my favorite with Shooting At The Moon in close second and everything else quite a bit behind.
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  20. #70
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Yes. If Kevin had wanted to be calling the shots as band leader and they wanted it, that is a sound they could have followed.

    I really like Joy Of A Toy. I like Kevin's albums, but in general, I find it is diminishing returns after Joy Of A Toy to some degree. JOAT remains by far my favorite with Shooting At The Moon in close second and everything else quite a bit behind.
    I only own the first four (4) albums on CD, but each year I seem to gain a new found appreciation for them, especially the first two. Although 'Whatever' is less known to these ears, so maybe its just that. The whimsy found on these albums is what really entices me. Also, those ear-candy melodies and choruses are infectious.

  21. #71
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    Fourth is easily th SM album I enjoy the most, closely followed by Third, Volume Two and the rest.
    Fourth is also my favorite Soft Machine album. Followed closely by Fifth. But I also like almost everything they ever made (not Land Of Cockayne...).
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  22. #72
    Chronic Overspender zombywoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have to second with Aymeric that "Fourth" is the best sounding (sounding) official release with Robert by far.
    I may have only heard Fourth once or twice, but my memory of it is one really great track (Teeth - the single best SM composition, perhaps?) and a bunch of other stuff that wasn't anywhere close.

    Sonically, I recall it being very monochromatic and not terribly transparent, and that the drums had a very distorted sound to them in places. I'm genuinely surprised to hear it referred to as a pinnacle of production in any sense and it's got me wanting to hear it again! I'll spin it today hopefully.

    Softs 1 is a masterpiece of production I think, particularly for its age. Never thought of it as being 'gimmicky' or overly or unnecessarily psychedelic. Perhaps I dig 'over the top' production!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

    colouratura.bandcamp.com

  23. #73
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I may have only heard Fourth once or twice, but my memory of it is one really great track (Teeth - the single best SM composition, perhaps?) and a bunch of other stuff that wasn't anywhere close.
    Kings And Queens and Virtually are both magnificent.
    imo.

    Yes. Teeth is their pinnacle. For me at least.
    imo.

    The sound on Fourth is only 'rather good' 1970's sound and definitely a bit 'crowded'. But it's as good as they got in the studio, which only shows you how much worse all the rest are sonically.
    imo.

    BTW, "Teeth" was originally named "Lying Through His Teeth".
    Not imo. Fact.

    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    "You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

    "The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

  24. #74
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,332
    Next:

    SM - Noisette - Oh man, this is still one of my favorite SM live albums. AMAZING sound imo, and great notes by brother Amyeric. This proves that Third *should* sound better, no?

    EDIT: Dean was a monster.

    http://plaza.harmonix.ne.jp/~gnome/m...s/Noisette.htm
    Last edited by chalkpie; 12-31-2016 at 12:27 PM.

  25. #75
    Chronic Overspender zombywoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    All around the world. On land and in the sea.
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Kings And Queens and Virtually are both magnificent.
    imo.

    Yes. Teeth is their pinnacle. For me at least.
    imo.

    The sound on Fourth is only 'rather good' 1970's sound and definitely a bit 'crowded'. But it's as good as they got in the studio, which only shows you how much worse all the rest are sonically.
    imo.

    BTW, "Teeth" was originally named "Lying Through His Teeth".
    Not imo. Fact.

    Yeah. I'm playing it now and it's a lot better than I remembered, even sonically. Perhaps my memories were of compressed-to-hell MP3s? (I reimported it at CD quality to listen to on my iPod)

    Teeth is still a killer tune at any quality.
    Check out Colouratura's sophomore release Unfamiliar Skies - out this spring on Melodic Revolution Records!

    colouratura.bandcamp.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •