Thread: RIP - Richard Adams

RIP - Richard Adams

Author of one of my favorite books, Watership Down. One of the few books I didn't want to end.

It's not that difficult to see why 2016 is/was especially hard for most of us on this forum: the contemporaries & heroes we grew up with & were most influenced by are now approaching the end of their lives. I'm sure 2017 will hold more sorrow for us. Rather than let this get me down, I'm trying my best to enjoy everything that has pleasantly influenced me, past & present.

So, to Richard Adams: Cheers & a well-deserved Thank You!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

WD was one of the most magical books I read as a youngster. I always wondered if anything else he wrote had the same kind of power. RIP.

RIP, The Black Rabbit is guiding him home.

I did read the Plague Dogs as well but it was so grim I never picked up another Adams book. I later found out that his other books were not nearly as bleak.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

If anyone has never read the last page of WSD read it now! Such poignant piece of literature in the context of all the losses endured this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RIP, The Black Rabbit is guiding him home.

I did read the Plague Dogs as well but it was so grim I never picked up another Adams book. I later found out that his other books were not nearly as bleak.
    It is, but the film Martin Rosen made is a much bleaker affair. The book is a tough read (but at the same time such a pleasure), but it's more balanced than the film, which knocks you on your ass.

RIP R. Adams.

Btw, Angela Morley's musical score for Watership Down just got reissued: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/pro...?prod=CDLK4596

If you were to tell me I would be profoundly affected by a book about rabbits, I would have told you to "silflay hraka". But Richard Adams' novel "Watership Down" was truly one of the great fantasy books of the 1970s, and now Mr. Adams is gone. Granted, he was 96 years old, but this whole 2016 death pool thing has got me melancholy.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Very sad news.

In answer to an earlier question, I don't think he ever matched the quality of WD. "Shardik" is ambitious but too long and "The Girl In the Swing" is good but a little neat and tidy.

I love "The Plague Dogs" (book and film) but as an animal lover I find it too distressing. MINOR SPOILER The book has a happy ending, but there is a lot of painful water under the bridge before getting there. The movie is beautifully done but will fuck up any one with a heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    It's not that difficult to see why 2016 is/was especially hard for most of us on this forum: the contemporaries & heroes we grew up with & were most influenced by are now approaching the end of their lives.
    mainly because its a reflection on our own mortality........we don't want to speak of this but it doesn't change that fact at all.....I remember sitting in the movie theatre watching Saving Private Ryan and all these older couples in there bawling their eyes out -- WWII vets, no doubt........18 years later, Im thinking those folks that I saw that day are no longer here.........Now Im watching the cohort effect of my era (George Michael, Prince, Pete Burns, etc) and it sucks.....Oldies radio now consists of The Beatles, The Association, etc.......the days of 'oldies' being Perry Como, Sinatra, Mancini, G. Miller are way behind us....even the shores of Elvis are finally receding ...but, like you:

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm trying my best to enjoy everything that has pleasantly influenced me, past & present.

one of the reasons why I wanted the Chapman Stick: its never too late

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    mainly because its a reflection on our own mortality........we don't want to speak of this but it doesn't change that fact at all.....I remember sitting in the movie theatre watching Saving Private Ryan and all these older couples in there bawling their eyes out -- WWII vets, no doubt........18 years later, Im thinking those folks that I saw that day are no longer here.........Now Im watching the cohort effect of my era (George Michael, Prince, Pete Burns, etc) and it sucks.....Oldies radio now consists of The Beatles, The Association, etc.......the days of 'oldies' being Perry Como, Sinatra, Mancini, G. Miller are way behind us....even the shores of Elvis are finally receding ...but, like you:

one of the reasons why I wanted the Chapman Stick: its never too late
    I decided to get a new keyboard and play again after not playing for over 20 years, for the same reason. It's just something for my own enjoyment. I talked about it for years and finally decided to stop talking and do it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

PSSSST...don't tell anyone..

One of the top 5 books I have ever read. I was 23 at the time and told no one I was reading a book about rabbits...

"My heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today".