Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mellotron in prog - My top ten list, what's yours?

No mention of this in Planet Mellotron so I'm not sure this has any Mellotron on it as I can't recognize what keyboards Victor Peraino is using. But its a great version even though it has no Bentley Ace.

Say, are you able to access the Planet Mellotron site? I've not been able to do so for a long, long time now. I take it the site is still available? It's a great resource though I've no idea how he has time to write those hundreds of reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Say, are you able to access the Planet Mellotron site? I've not been able to do so for a long, long time now. I take it the site is still available? It's a great resource though I've no idea how he has time to write those hundreds of reviews!
    The site still works for me. Here's a review of another Peraino-classic: http://www.planetmellotron.com/revp3.htm#peraino
    The Time Captives-version of Brown is reviewed on his page: http://www.planetmellotron.com/revbrown.htm

I followed your link and got this:

This site can’t be reached

www.planetmellotron.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

^^That's odd, the links work for me. This is the homepage: http://www.planetmellotron.com/ but if this doesn't work you may contact Andy Thompson at info-at-planetmellotron.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    No mention of this in Planet Mellotron so I'm not sure this has any Mellotron on it as I can't recognize what keyboards Victor Peraino is using. But its a great version even though it has no Bentley Ace.
    I don't see a Mellotron. I think I recognise a VCS3 and a Mini Moog.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^That's odd, the links work for me. This is the homepage: http://www.planetmellotron.com/ but if this doesn't work you may contact Andy Thompson at info-at-planetmellotron.com.
    Thanks, but I get the same thing with this. Anyway, I sent him a message via the Planet Mellotron Facebook site. Don't know how often he visits (not often, apparently), but that seems to be the only recourse.

I was disappointed to find that there was Mellotron all over this while I thought it was angels singing with Arthur Brown. Big mistake according to Victor.

Just heard Elliott Smith's Everything Means Nothing To Me again. It is featured on the album Figure 8, but also in the documentary and on the soundtrack "Heaven Adores You".
    The Mellotron (or Chamberlain) starts in the second half:

even with 100 or so releases to their credit, His Name Is Alive (experimental; psyche; Detroit, Michigan) is a band I'm totally unfamiliar with. if I hadn't been looking up nfo on the Large Hadron Collider @ CERN, prolly still wouldn't know. their latest album, Patterns Of Light is entirely based upon their own research at the LHC and with the cooperation of scientist, Dr. James Beacham. an interesting story for sure even without tron...

Energy Acceleration (Patterns Of Light/2016)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by señormoment View Post
    The tron choir on Los Endos.
    Indeed, but I never heard it so load as on this promo for Seconds Out (from about the 16:30 mark):

Or one year before that with Bruford:

I'm not sure if this is actually a Mellotron or not, but it sounds like one -Ooberman -'Cities that fall'

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Indeed, but I never heard it so load as on this promo for Seconds Out (from about the 16:30 mark):

I've never seen this footage... (seen the Broof tour footage, though)

Has this been released on the Seconds Out DVD-A in the live boxset ?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I've never seen this footage... (seen the Broof tour footage, though)

Has this been released on the Seconds Out DVD-A in the live boxset ?
    I hadn't seen it before either and because I saw the band a few months later in Rotterdam I really enjoyed it.
    It's not on the Seconds Out DVD-A, which only features the album (including a wonderful 5.1 mix).
    The Broof footage is indeed from the Live in 1976-set and as you can hear the Mellotron is less loud on that recording.

Got to give a mention to Greenslade here, tons of great mellotron, "Bedside Manners" LP being the best. And a particular favourite track elsewhere - "The Flower & the Young Man" by Strawbs.

'Sailor's Tale' was where I fell in love with the mellotron. To be followed by anything on the first 3 KC albums.

Much more mello-prog love has reached my ears since I started this tread three years ago. More shots in the arm for tronaholics like me! Here' s more artists, not favorite tracks that use the beast, some new, some older:

Ars De Er
    All Traps On Earth
    Unit Wail
    Natthimlen
    Anima Morte
    Cirkus
    Zoltan
    Sermon
    Far Corner
    Napier's Bones
    Noekk
    Herd Of Instinct
    Jordsjo
    Keor
    The Black Codex
    Rivendel
    Daal
    Pixie Ninja

Can anyone enlighten these PE's with more?
    Last edited by AncientChord; 11-30-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

^^

Noekk just returned

I'm not a musician, never played any instruments, never been in a band and only knew a few guys who were in bands, but years ago (maybe around 1998?) I was at Round Sounds in Redondo Beach Ca (He sold prog records/CDs, perhaps some here knew of him) and - anyway, he had a working Mellotron in his back room that he let me play (mess around with) and that was fun, it was a strange device...

Watcher Of The Skies/Seven Stones- Genesis
    Epitaph- King Crimson
    Have You Heard-The Voyage- The Moody Blues
    O Caroline- Matching Mole
    Changes/Hung Up On A Dream- The Zombies
    Strawberry Fields Forever- The Beatles
    New World- The Strawbs
    Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers- VDGG (perhaps the most evil use of the instrument, from an act not usually associated with it)

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Can anyone enlighten these PE's with more?
    Thieves' Kitchen - Genius Loci (2019) is loaded with beautiful mellotron.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    Got to give a mention to Greenslade here, tons of great mellotron, "Bedside Manners" LP being the best.
    ^^^ This. And this too:

Last edited by nodak; 12-03-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger's version of 'This Wheels On Fire' popped up on my playlist today. Mellotron AND Hammond, lovely.