Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 126

Thread: Mellotron in prog - My top ten list, what's yours?

  1. #26
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,030
    Wow! So many good picks. Probably most of them are in my top ten, so I'll just add:

    The Fibonaccis - Purple Haze (not quite prog, but the band was)
    Strawbs - Benedictus
    Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
    King Crimson - The Sailor's Tale
    Traffic - Hole in My Shoe
    Idle Race - Skeleton and the Roundabout
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  2. #27
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,576
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    OK now...what say you?

    Crimson Lizard Suite and particularly Battle Of Glass tears

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    "Nights In White Satin" would seem more logically the "first," and the template for "Epitaph" as well.
    For his defence, he said "dark" and White Satin is defnitely not dark.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  3. #28

  4. #29
    So many great memories from songs with a Mellotron-climax, like:

    Pavlov's Dog: Did You See Him Cry
    Rocket Scientists: Mariner
    Museo Rosenbach: Zarathustra
    England: Poisened Youth
    King Crimson: Starless

  5. #30
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Wow! So many good picks. Probably most of them are in my top ten, so I'll just add:

    The Fibonaccis - Purple Haze (not quite prog, but the band was)
    Strawbs - Benedictus
    Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
    King Crimson - The Sailor's Tale
    Traffic - Hole in My Shoe
    Idle Race - Skeleton and the Roundabout
    Wow you mentioned The Fibonaccis. Loved them and saw them in the mid-eighties at a club in L.A. They were most definitely a prog band in disguise as New Wave. Great tron tracks- Psycho, Anti-Oedipus, Second Coming. Any mellotron prog fan would love this highly underrated band.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  6. #31
    David Bowie - Space Oddity. Mellotron and a stylophone!

  7. #32
    Ange - Dans les Poches du Berger, from the album "Guet-Apens" (ending section of the song)

    https://youtu.be/luz2d_oU9EU

  8. #33
    One of my favorites is the Mellotron Choir sound in Cathedral's song Gong from Stained Glass Stories. Unlike a lot of Tron Choirs, this one has a fairly sharp attack, and I think Doncourt uses it pretty creatively and uniquely in this song.

    Bill

  9. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    120
    The tron choir on Los Endos.
    The tron horns on Siberian Khatru.

  10. #35
    Eela Craig's "Stories" (Orig. 7" single version).

  11. #36
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,577
    Sorry guys, I prefer the brass sound on the DX7.

  12. #37
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775
    [The tron horns on Siberian Khatru.]

    Are you sure about this? I never heard this mentioned before. What part of the song are they in?

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [The tron horns on Siberian Khatru.]

    Are you sure about this? I never heard this mentioned before. What part of the song are they in?
    The main theme that first comes in after the guitar intro and repeats later in the song.

  14. #39
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    The main theme that first comes in after the guitar intro and repeats later in the song.
    I've never heard anything on there that sounded like a horn to me(mellotron or otherwise).

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sorry guys, I prefer the brass sound on the DX7.
    Cue someone telling you that you don't understand the advanced programming capabilities of the DX7 in 3, 2 ...

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I've never heard anything on there that sounded like a horn to me(mellotron or otherwise).
    It's the brass tape frame.

  17. #42
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Please folks. I didn't start this thread so people could argue about what the tron or other keyboard instruments could do. I just want to know what songs that feature the mellotron in prog has moved you, or are very memorable to you. Thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  18. #43
    Member Mr.Krautman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brussels
    Posts
    345
    This short piece should calm down and relax everyone. Simply beautiful...


  19. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Please folks. I didn't start this thread so people could argue about what the tron or other keyboard instruments could do. I just want to know what songs that feature the mellotron in prog has moved you, or are very memorable to you. Thanks!
    Are you reading your own thread?

    Lots of songs cited already.

  20. #45
    Member 2steves's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC and RBK, NY
    Posts
    206
    Yes The Remembering
    Yes And u and I
    Genesis Watcher of the Skies
    Genesis Entangled
    Genesis Dancing with the moonlite night
    Genesis Afterglow
    Just about anything Genesis
    Moodies Nights in White Satin

  21. #46
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Are you reading your own thread?

    Lots of songs cited already.
    OK I'll chill. If people want to argue, so be it. Seems to me to be the thing to do on this forum.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  22. #47
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    This short piece should calm down and relax everyone. Simply beautiful...

    Wow never heard of her, or this song. Very nice, and it doesn't sound at all dated. Thanks!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  23. #48
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Hmm... 1967? Don't think so. No wonder it didn't sound dated. But thanks for her link to YouTube. Some very good offerings. Imagine if Rachel Flowers got a mellotron?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  24. #49
    Member AncientChord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mojave Desert
    Posts
    264
    Thanks Mr.Krautman for the link to Lisa Bella Donna. Glorious mellotron on her songs, and her compositions are top notch. This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for in this thread. My thirst for discovering quality prog music with the mellotron is unquenchable.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Wow never heard of her, or this song. Very nice, and it doesn't sound at all dated. Thanks!
    She's the keyboard player for EYE, who played Progday this year. Sort of a raw protoprog/stonermetal thing, different in sound from that solo track, but similar in aesthetic.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •