Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Status Quo's Rick Parfitt

R.I.P. Status Quo's Rick Parfitt

This was a case of 'when' rather than 'if' but I'm still very sad about this news nevertheless. I'm a big fan of their 70s albums- they were actually one of the UK's most successful groups.

RIP.

I still remember playing the air-guitar on Status Quo songs. Not a great idea to throw your hair back like they did if you are wearing glasses.

R.I.P Rick!

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

It would seem the Grim Reaper is trying his damnedest to fit as many fatalities into 2016 as possible.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

This hurts - I have always been a huge fan of Quo - they never pretended to be anything other than what they were pure rock n roll. The soundtrack of a large chunk of my youth. The irony is, I'm fairly sure most US members here will never have even heard of him.

They were the kings of twin guitar boogie rock n roll. Never understood why they never made much of an impact here in the States, but they were great at what they did.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sad news. I've been a fan for many decades and managed to see them in concert back in the '70s. Rest in peace, Rick.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I enjoyed Status Quo in the seventies at parties, dancing on Roll Over Lay Down, a title which suites Rick's parting I guess. RIP:

Fish Comments;

I was really sad to hear this news just an hour or so ago. I cannot remember a year laced with so much heartbreak and sorrow and the reality that January 1st is only a punctuation mark and not a restart bodes badly for us all as age and illness creeps up on our peers.
    I'd known Rick since the 80's when #StatusQuo and Marillion management shared offices in Victoria in London.We bumped into each other a lot in those days and shared many a stage together over the years. The last time I spoke to him was a couple of years ago when he phoned me up out the blue to recommend a neuro linguistic programme to stop smoking as we both had a terrible habit that we'd been trying to conquer and he knew I'd been suffering from vocal disorders. As always his wicked sense of humour had me reeling and the thought behind the call was typical of the man. Caring, funny and so down to earth, always fantastic company I could picture that sly smile and the twinkling eyes on the other end of the phone.
    Like many people I was very aware of his ongoing health issues and imminent retirement and wondered how he would handle not being on a stage as Quo more than any other band with their never ending 'farewell tours' seemed destined to play on forever.
    I remember fondly the thumbs in the waistband of denims, elbows out and head bobbing routines on school disco dance floors as a teenager and the awe of meeting him for the first time in the Quo management offices years later as a then long haired cocky singer back in the early 80's. He put me in my place immediately and I loved him for that. His wit was sharp as a razor blade and he was so fast on the comeback and the putdown always deflected with that cheeky smile. He could be a moody bastard but was always readily forgiven as the wink at the end of any wise crack indicated any hurt was never really meant.He was a genuine old school rock star who had been there and sold a million t shirts. We lost another enormous character today who will never be replaced.
    He may have been put down as a "3 chord" wonder by some but as I was privileged to hear on so many occasions they were the best fucking 3 chords a man could play.
    My heart goes out to Francis, the band and crew, Rick's family and friends who will be crushed tonight.
    RIP Rick Parfitt, I raise a glass this Christmas eve and salute you. You will be sorely missed by many.

'Piledriver' was my gateway to rock! Quo, along with Queen where like a British institution and household names.

RIP Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Quo, along with Queen where like a British institution and household names.

RIP Rick
    Testament to that is the fact that Rick's death is the headline story on both the BBC and Sky News today.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This was a case of 'when' rather than 'if'
    Isn't it always?

Never a big fan of Quo (though I always thought Spinal Tap was aiming t the band), but I did see them once live in a festival (around 91 or so), and what a good concert they threw

Can certaily understand why the kids were so high on them

RIP Rick!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I saw them supporting Queen in Newcastle in '86, excellent concert, they knew who they were and did it very well, RIP
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Fish said it perfectly... They were something unique in British rock and back in the early / mid 70's were as well thought of as any of the names revered today. They were a great rock band and Rick always seemed like a true gent. RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Never a big fan of Quo (though I always thought Spinal Tap was aiming t the band), but I did see them once live in a festival (around 91 or so), and what a good concert they threw

Can certaily understand why the kids were so high on them

RIP Rick!!
    I don't think I've ever heard them. Were they a big deal in the US? I know they were in the UK.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard them. Were they a big deal in the US? I know they were in the UK.
    Never made it in the US, were huge in the UK.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pictures Of Matchstick Men was a Stateside hit, but that's it. I think about the only time they had any kind of high profile presence here was when they opened Live Aid and performed the 1990 Knebworth festival.

Jed, have you ever heard this one?

It was a big hit for another band here in the U.S. called Cracker, but Quo did it first.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Jed, have you ever heard this one?

It was a big hit for another band here in the U.S. called Cracker, but Quo did it first.
    Actually, i twas Camper Van Beethoven who did the Pictures Of Matchstick Men cover, I think on their last album. Cracker was the band their lead singer formed after Camper Van Beethoven broke up.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, i twas Camper Van Beethoven who did the Pictures Of Matchstick Men cover, I think on their last album. Cracker was the band their lead singer formed after Camper Van Beethoven broke up.
    Yup, you are correct. I got them mixed up. I saw Cracker as an opening act once and they did the song which is why I thought it was them.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Never made it in the US, were huge in the UK.

huge on the continent too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    huge on the continent too.
    They where indeed! Even as recent as 2014 they had a top 20 CD ' Aquostic' in lots of European countries! Where still playing arenas across the continent!

I saw them back in the 70's, they opened for Rory Gallagher (Irish Tour Lp release), as I recall Status Quo had just realesed "Quo" or "Hello" at any rate they were awesome, (so was Rory), one of the best concerts I ever saw...!

RIP, man..
    Last edited by Mythos; 12-29-2016 at 08:44 PM.