Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank You Scientist

Thank You Scientist

Can't believe I can't find any threads on this band. Found out about them a few weeks ago from one of the Prog Best lists of 2016. Have listened and watched their videos on youtube, and just got a copy of their newest, "Stranger heads prevail" in the mail today. Great stuff. Very progressive-a mix of Zappa, Chicago, Dream Theater, Queen with a modern feel. The high pitched vocals take a little getting used to, but there is so much going on in the music, and all of the players are pretty much virtuosos. The electric violin brings some nice touches, and the horn section is stellar. Add a guitarist who can trade chops with Petrucci anyday. Definitely some dense music, which I love, cause I catch something different with every listen. Great band!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    A couple of active threads right here on main board. "Search" is your friend.

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...th-seeing-live

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-Tuesday-Night

This is very high on my list of albums of the year. A very chaotic, and yet melodic brand of prog, that will suck you in, if you're inclined to dig their stuff. I'm a little surprised you find the vocals that high pitched. I love 'em, and the lyrics are very good too, in my opinion. And they are amazing live. Just saw them last week, and it was a very high-energy, dynamic show. To me, at least, they are 1 and 1a, along with Bent Knee, in exciting young North American prog bands.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 12-23-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Can't believe I can't find any threads on this band. Found out about them a few weeks ago from one of the Prog Best lists of 2016. Have listened and watched their videos on youtube, and just got a copy of their newest, "Stranger heads prevail" in the mail today. Great stuff. Very progressive-a mix of Zappa, Chicago, Dream Theater, Queen with a modern feel. The high pitched vocals take a little getting used to, but there is so much going on in the music, and all of the players are pretty much virtuosos. The electric violin brings some nice touches, and the horn section is stellar. Add a guitarist who can trade chops with Petrucci anyday. Definitely some dense music, which I love, cause I catch something different with every listen. Great band!
    I just posted a review of one of their shows here last week.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This is very high on my list of albums of the year. A very chaotic, and yet melodic brand of prog, that will suck you in, if you inclined to dig their stuff. I'm a little surprised you find the vocals that high pitched. I love 'em, and the lyrics are very good too, in my opinion. And they are amazing live. Just saw them last week, and it was a very high-energy, dynamic show. To me, at least, they are 1 and 1a, along with Bent Knee, in exciting young North American prog bands.

neil
    I agree, they are something totally unique that can appeal to both prog and jam band fans. I thought they had a pretty nice turnout for the show I saw last week on a snowy Tuesday night in Grand Rapids MI. These guys seem to be building momentum. I think a TYS / Bent Knee tour would be a great fit. TYS are getting ready to do a tour with Consider The Source which is also a great double bill.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think a TYS / Bent Knee tour would be a great fit.
    They have played on the same bill. That must've been one of the great shows of 2016!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

They're ok.

I enjoy the two releases I have by them, but unlike many I can't really hear too much radically "off-kilter" about their music. It's personal and quite original, I'm happy to say - but why does this somehow come as a big surprise to "progressive rock" listeners?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's more that it just doesn't follow "prog" norms any more than those of other music. Prog-metal - but with violin? And a horn section? And a tall, goofy guy with a big beard singing like Michael Jackson? The result isn't particularly "difficult"; it sounds to me like Tom Monda (the guitarist/bandleader) started out as a teenage metalhead, then went to music school and took classes in the jazz department, then decided to combine everything he knew and enjoyed. But it is a bit unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

I enjoy the two releases I have by them....
    Scro

IMO, their greatness is really revealed when you see them perform...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

They blew (almost ) everybody's socks off at Progday 2013.
    Made a fan out of me.
    Lots of energy, a bunch of talented guys.
    I really liked their first two releases and had great hopes for the latest, Stranger Heads Prevail.
    Probably because of their unique lineup, their sound is a bit samey. Not in a bad way, but after a few songs I yearn for something different.
    The vocals don't bother me. I find the less than positive comments amusing because of the truly wide range of 'vocal talent' in the ProgSphere® that Are acceptable.
    In context they are one of my favorite bands of the moment.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    their greatness is really revealed when you see them perform...
    This I absolutely believe!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    They blew (almost ) everybody's socks off at Progday 2013.
    Made a fan out of me.
    Lots of energy, a bunch of talented guys.
    The vocals don't bother me. I find the less than positive comments amusing because of the truly wide range of 'vocal talent' in the ProgSphere® that Are acceptable.
    In context they are one of my favorite bands of the moment.
    What MW said!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Saw them a couple weeks ago in Philly. Both of their albums are incredible and they are extremely tight live.

Scro

Agree, this may be a band that needs to be experienced live in order to get full appreciation for them. I have seen them in four completely different environments. First outdoors at ProgDay in front of people in lawn chairs and canopies, Second on the big theater stage at ROSfest with background projections and a sit down audience, Third in a club at Progtoberfest in Chicago with a mix of old proggers and younger people, and most recently in a club in Grand Rapids MI with a somewhat younger more energetic audience. One of the cool things about this band is they were able to pull off all of these shows regardless of venue or audience. As I said in my previous comment I think these guys are starting to catch the ear of not only old school proggers, but also the more adventurous members of the jam band crowd and seem to be gaining momentum.

They have played on the same bill. That must've been one of the great shows of 2016!
    I did not know that. Yes, that would have been great!

As I said in my previous comment I think these guys are starting to catch the ear of not only old school proggers, but also the more adventurous members of the jam band crowd and seem to be gaining momentum.
    Steve,

You may have seen them in three 'prog-type' festivals, but that isn't their usual crowd or audience.

They're on Coheed and Cambria's label, and they play nearly all the time for youngsters, opening up for more established, popular acts. Tom isn't going after 'proggers'; he's going after an audience.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I will gladly attest to this.

Yes, the crowd was mostly young in Toronto, and there were a lot of metal/prog-metal loving kids in the crowd. No doubt, many of them picked up via momentum that they gathered while opening for Coheed and then Haken. I would probably say that, as weird as it may sound, playing prog festivals was just their opening gambit, to move on to bigger things. They still appreciate any prog audience they draw though, and one of the beautiful things about more complex, adventurous music, is that older and younger fans mix fairly easily. At least that has been my experience.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Yes, the crowd was mostly young in Toronto, and there were a lot of metal/prog-metal loving kids in the crowd. No doubt, many of them picked up via momentum that they gathered while opening for Coheed and then Haken. I would probably say that, as weird as it may sound, playing prog festivals was just their opening gambit, to move on to bigger things. They still appreciate any prog audience they draw though, and one of the beautiful things about more complex, adventurous music, is that older and younger fans mix fairly easily. At least that has been my experience.

neil
    The Grand Rapids crowd was skewed young too, but I did not really feel out of place as the age range was all over the place. Similar to Umphry’s McGee the last few times I have seen them. I had forgotten the TYS opened for Haken. I saw at least two Haken shirts at the show.

Even though their music is so different than Umphrey's McGee-I do see the similarities, esp. in the audience. It really excites me to see young bands with such talented musicians-whatever the genre. These guys' music is actually a lot more progressive and complex than UM, but definitely has a modern edge and appeal. I love UM and esp. live, but have the feeling this band is a little more in my lane since the musice is so freaking progressive, complex, dense, and just plain interesting! Love this band!

It's apparent they have discovered a fan base, young and/or older, doesn't really matter. I was hoping they weren't going to be a flash in the pan. I first heard the EP 2011 - The Perils of Time Travel, it was short but amazing, still is to these ears. They garnered enough attention as a result of that cd, and did a crowd funding for their first full length cd...2012 - Maps of Non​-​Existent Places, which was also excellent, and this most recent release is showing even more growth as a band, I sadly missed my chance to seem theme here(Mpls) due to other life matters.

It's simply fantastic to hear the new and younger generation of creative music thriving, doing things there own way, and not choosing the path of least resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Even though their music is so different than Umphrey's McGee-I do see the similarities, esp. in the audience. It really excites me to see young bands with such talented musicians-whatever the genre. These guys' music is actually a lot more progressive and complex than UM, but definitely has a modern edge and appeal. I love UM and esp. live, but have the feeling this band is a little more in my lane since the musice is so freaking progressive, complex, dense, and just plain interesting! Love this band!
    I am probably as big an Umphrey's fan as there is on this board and I have seen them do some amazing things, so not sure that I would agree that one is particularly more complex than the other, but I get what you are saying.

I am probably as big an Umphrey's fan as there is on this board and I have seen them do some amazing things, so not sure that I would agree that one is particularly more complex than the other, but I get what you are saying.
    Im a huge Umphreys fan too and have seen them 7 times including a three night stint earlier this year, but have to admit some of the jamming went on too long and got a little old and tired at times. I like when they are a little more focused and concise, which seem to be what this band is. TYS seems to be more progressive based, and I love the fact that they use horns and electric violin instead of keyboards. They both have phenomenal guitarists at the core though. Jake of UM is one of the best ever I've seen live, He simply amazes me every time. Hopefully I'll get to see TYS live one day and see if they're as tight live as it sounds like they are.

Listening to their EP, The Perils of time Travel now. Seems a little more progressive metal than the others. Do I hear keyboards and less brass? Very good debut.

My only contact so far to Thank You Scientist is their latest album Stranger Heads Prevail which I bought about three months ago. Very nice album. Not perfect success but I believe one can wait greatness from this band.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/