Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How you'd describe The Dead to an ignorant in 3 vids of 60s, 70s & 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For my money, the Dead's best albums are Live/Dead, American Beauty, Europe '72 and Blues For Allah, not counting archival releases, of course.
    Replace Europe '72 (simply just too many damn roots covers) with Anthem of the Sun (my personal fave) and that's it.

I agree about "Unbroken Chain" and "China Doll" (plus, for me, "Scarlet Begonias", which swings insanely) making for the worth on Mars Hotel. Both Flood and Terrapin had their share of utter greatness, but came in as wholly uneven all the same.

Interestingly, seeing how he didn't write that much for the band to begin with, Weir's Ace remains my single fave solo Dead album. "Cassidy", "Looks Like Rain", "Playing in the Band" - these were all obviously performed live by the Dead as well, but for once they even sounded fabulous in their studio renditions.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    ^ Box of Rain from American Beauty is also one of the greatest The Dead' songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    I would agree. It also displays what a solid singer Lesh could be when making an honest effort. One of the finest opening tracks of any rock album, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

it also includes Money Money, one of the worst songs the band ever performed/recorded
    Musically it's rather neat. Too bad about the lyric. As far as Dead studio albums, I always liked Aoxomoxoa, and have a bit of a soft spot for Shakedown Street.

[QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;652888]
    Replace Europe '72 (simply just too many damn roots covers) with Anthem of the Sun (my personal fave) and that's it.
    Dammit, I can't believe I forgot to mention Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa. Yes, those would have to be included in any list of essential Dead albums.

Europe '72 has some boring cover tunes on it, but it also has a few songs that were never on any other album, like Tenneesse Jed and Jack Straw. And the versions of China Cat Sunflower, Truckin', and Sugar Magnolia bury the studio versions.
    Both Flood and Terrapin had their share of utter greatness, but came in as wholly uneven all the same.
    Wake Of The Flood is worth it mainly for Weather Report Suite, which has an acoustic intro (Weir always played it on electric onstage) and the horn section in the later parts of the piece. I think most of the other good songs were played better onstage.

As for Terrapin Station, swap out Dancin' In The Streets in favor of Equinox (an outtake that was recorded during the sessions), and mix the choir out of Terrapin Reprise, and it becomes a much better album.

But Terrapin Station and Wake Of The Flood are both still better than either Shakedown Street or Go To Heaven.

Banned

Dammit, I can't believe I forgot to mention Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa. Yes, those would have to be included in any list of essential Dead albums.

Europe '72 has some boring cover tunes on it, but it also has a few songs that were never on any other album, like Tenneesse Jed and Jack Straw. And the versions of China Cat Sunflower, Truckin', and Sugar Magnolia bury the studio versions.

Wake Of The Flood is worth it mainly for Weather Report Suite, which has an acoustic intro (Weir always played it on electric onstage) and the horn section in the later parts of the piece. I think most of the other good songs were played better onstage.

As for Terrapin Station, swap out Dancin' In The Streets in favor of Equinox (an outtake that was recorded during the sessions), and mix the choir out of Terrapin Reprise, and it becomes a much better album.

But Terrapin Station and Wake Of The Flood are both still better than either Shakedown Street or Go To Heaven.
    What about In The Dark? A nice album at its own imo.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I would probably warn an ignorant about Donna Godchaux.
    "an ignoramus" is the right word

Not just one of the best Dead songs, but one of the best songs by anybody. Likewise for Ripple. And neither were ever played as well onstage as they are on American Beauty.

What about In The Dark? A nice album at its own imo.
    It's a good record, not as good as Anthem Of The Sun or American Beauty, but better than Terrapin Station, and definitely way better than Go To Heaven.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "an ignoramus" is the right word
    Oh, is that the word you meant to use for all these threads? LOL!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    (...) One of the finest opening tracks of any rock album, I think.
    Not just one of the best Dead songs, but one of the best songs by anybody. (...)
    I agree. One of the most beautiful songs ever recorded!

Tough call. While from a 1990 concert, the material is from their 1975 album, Blues for Allah:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYdwI5cczts

From a 1990 show, "Cumberland Blues," from 1970's Workingman's Dead:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FE5dc_9JC70

And, from a 1995 show, near the end of Garcia's life, a suitably poignant "Black Muddy River," from 1987's In the Dark:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKxHQk2I6h0

But it's hard. Last year's Day of the Dead, curated by The National, was a Dead tribute like no other...and it was five CDs, approaching six hours in length, and is pretty uniformly exceptional, both in the selection of artists and their renditions.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer