Thread: AAJ Review: Miles Davis Quintet: Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2

AAJ Review: Miles Davis Quintet: Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2

My review of Miles Davis' Miles Davis Quintet: Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2, today at All About Jazz.

The first release to focus exclusively - and so heavily, with three CDs and one DVD - on the trumpet icon's third "lost" quintet - Davis, saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist Chick Corea, bassist Dave Holland and drummer Jack DeJohnette - much of it has been available in bootleg form, but never sounding this good (and some, while all sounding fine, is a little thin, not as overall excellent as the first volume of the series). It's also unique in its setlist, which has material dating back to Davis' first record for Columbia, straight through to music from Bitches Brew. While Corea's Fender Rhodes makes this an electric band by definition, this is really closer to the free-bop of the previous quintet, but in a transitional form as Davis moves forward to the denser electric funk of his early-to-mid-'70s.

Essential stuff, review here: http://j.mp/VJ53SO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why OT? This purely progressive, as much so (or more) as the stuff that gets talked about on the main page.....

Ha. Oh well, this is indeed a top-notch set and worth whatever attention it gets. Quite a well-done review as always.

Heared this at a friends house Saturday night.It's on my"to get" list",fer sure.

As John suggests in his review, this seems a transitional band in Miles' history.Hewing, at times, more to the free jazz end of the spectrum than the rock and later, groove oriented directions his bands took.I like the somewhat lighter touch the rhythm section had in this incarnation,as well as the(generally) cleaner, less dirty, less distorted sound Chick Corea got from the Fender Rhodes.

Top shelf music.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Sounds awesome. Thanks for the review.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is on my "must buy" list. I've been enjoying Vol. 1 and expect this will be just as interesting given the line-up.
    E

Coincidentally, featured on NPR tonight with extensive samples.

Got my copy in the mail today. I know what I'll be listening to tonight
    E

Just got mine today. Great stuff! Those July shows are my favorites, as they show the band at a point in their development that had not yet been officially documented. Electric versions of Milestones and Footprints, Round Midnight, etc, just before they were dumped from the setlists. More avant-jazz than fusion at this point, despite Corea's electric piano. The November shows are a bit different - spacier and funkier. Haven't watched the video, but I do know the show, as the music had been released on CD a year or two ago.

Yet another item to put on the "wish list"

Nice review btw...

This sounds great...I haven't heard the first volume, does it also come with a DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    This sounds great...I haven't heard the first volume, does it also come with a DVD?
    Yes, and with two shows on it. Both sets are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yet another item to put on the "wish list"
    Same here! Of course at the top of the list is "I wish I had money to buy CDs." It makes hanging out on PE torture.

I ordered mine from MovieMars.Almost $10 cheaper than Amazon.
    Last edited by walt; 02-07-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This is on my wish list. It's Miles, gotta have it...

Got it today...spinning now.
    Ya, baby.....very different beast thant the second Great Quintet. An interesting transitional time, for sure.

I just had to order Vol. I, as well, so I'll wait for that....