Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Prog Band in line for RRHOF?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    RRHOF - I used to drive by it every day, then I never was even tempted to stop. I cant imagine what it must be like, Rush and Yes are in there now, so how does a shitty, talentless puke like Elvis Costello's tiny display compare with bands with a huge catalog, tons of history, and countless fans - a guy who was famous for like 10 seconds? He's not even the worst musician in the HOF, but he's certainly NOT an exceptional one in any way (unless you rate music on how much an artist can look like he's crapping his pants while having an epileptic fit). I pick on ol' Elvis a bit, but he's an example of a typical 80's hipster dufus, who really brought very little but a cliche to music. Why he is in there is completely baffling to me... One in a long line of "great" artists at the RRHOF.

He writes better lyrics than just about everybody who ever was associated with progressive rock. The idea that he shouldn't be there is unsupportable.

And if large catalogs are your thing, you should know that Costello's is quite huge.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    actually thought Moody Blues would have got in long before Genesis or Yes----on Nights in White Satin and their early rocky stuff----very strange.
    And King Crimson's influence on all sorts of rock music is also a shocking omission. But in the end it is the political bullshit of the RRHOF.
    It's also the nature of the RRHOF's geography. Expect Styx, Toto and Boston to get in well before King Crimson. Jethro Tull may well be next of the British prog acts by dint of having performed better in the US charts at the time of their peak.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    It's also the nature of the RRHOF's geography. Expect Styx, Toto and Boston to get in well before King Crimson. Jethro Tull may well be next of the British prog acts by dint of having performed better in the US charts at the time of their peak.
    Some good questions posed to and answered by Hall pres Joel Peresman: http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music...s/201612200075

This is from that interview:

Q: Does Journey’s induction open the door for Boston, Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, etc.?

A: Yeah, you would hope that people would be open to that. Again, these were important, big rock ’n’ roll groups, especially growing up in Pittsburgh and seeing Kansas and Styx were massive groups when I was in college and high school. You can see in the heartland of America how big they are. Maybe in the past people shied away from nominating and voting for the more populist groups, for lack of a better term, but with Journey getting in...Look, Journey wrote great songs and, ultimately, it came down to terrific songs. Like we say, it’s not how many records or tickets you sell, it’s the quality of the music and the influence, and I think there are bands like Styx and Kansas and REO Speedwagon that were great bands that are deserving of attention.

ELP, Tull and Crimson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    actually thought Moody Blues would have got in long before Genesis or Yes----on Nights in White Satin and their early rocky stuff----very strange. (...)
    Before this band?

LOL! I wonder that they aren't already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    I bet the pattern will be one Styx and one King Crimson go in the same year. Then a Boston with a Jethro Tull.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

I just read Elvis' autobiography. He is a prolific artist with tons of musical pedigree.
    Yeah, what a bizarre rant that was...not the first time from this source, alas.

Personally I find Costello's 'professor of pop' schtick worthy and tedious and I only really care for his earlier stuff...but the idea he's not worthy of being in there is just laughable. Some obviously need to look outside the US, he had a long run of success in the UK.

I think Jethro Tull, ELP, The Moody Blues and King Crimson are the obvious ones- I wouldn't expect much beyond that. In terms of influence VDGG, Soft Machine/Wyatt and the German groups would be way up there but none really registered commercially in the US.

Maschine! It m-must be them! I've read in Prog Mag about how eagerly anticipated their debut was (how could it possibly not be?), and luckily I didn't have to read about some obscure Eastern European band who may have existed for 30 years and performed to hundreds of thousands, but who were from Eastern Europe and didn't sing in English and thus are by definition "obscure" and make for a bad business model. So, I'm guessing the next must be Maschine!

Please induct Maschine! Let's see Maschine up there on stage! Who'll dare hand over the prize to Maschine? Who'll be in Maschine when they receive and are to perform? I just can't imagine. Anyway, I can't sleep over the sheer excitement at the future prospects of 'progressive rock' these days. Such a vitally informed mass.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

aren't The Moody Blues already in?

now that a corporate rock band Journey got in....
    maybe some of the others will follow....
    Styx, Boston, Kansas, Foreigner...

you got Yes, Genesis & PF- be happy!

Banned
    In the early 70's, I remember ELP's Lucky Man on every juke box. Teacher by Tull, was very popular, but in my environment not as much as ELP. ABC's In Concert, had ELP, but I don't remember Tull. Tull's Aqualung certainly got a lot of airplay in the day. Both deserve it.

Next Prog Band in line for RRHOF?

I think they'll be done for a few years with prog bands. Yes was the huge omission, especially with Rush going in a few years ago.

As for the future, I'd say Crimson & Tull. Not expecting much more prog inclusion after that, which is fine by me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Speaking of In Concert, look at the list of episodes, just awesome
    http://hardprog.pagesperso-orange.fr..._guide_077.htm

Banned
    In Concert

Kiss - Nothin' to Lose, firehouse, Black Diamond
    Melissa Manchester

12 04 1974
    Chuck Berry - Rock and Roll Music, Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B. Goode, Reelin' and Rockin'
    Johnny Rivers - Maybelline, Sitting in Limbo
    Bo Diddley - Hey Bo Diddley
    Ingrid Gibson - Ain't That Peculiar
    Spoon River Band

26 04 1974
    Loggins and Messina - My Music, Danny's Song, Your Mama Don't Dance, Nobody But You, Watching the River Run, Listen to a Country Song
    The Pointer Sisters - Wang Dang Doodle, Steam Heat
    Brownsville Station

10 05 1974 California Jam part 1
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition
    Deep Purple - Space Truckin'
    Eagles - Take it Easy
    Seals and Crofts
    Rare Earth - I Just Want to Celebrate
    Black Oak Arkansas - Hot 'n' Nasty
    Earth Wind and Fire - Come On Children
    Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave

24 05 1974 California Jam part 2
    Deep Purple - Smoke On the Water, Burn, Might just take Your Life, Mistreated
    Black Sabbath - War Pigs, Sabra Cadabra
    Rare Earth - Hey Big Brother

07 06 1974 California Jam part 3
    Emerson Lake and Palmer - Karn Evil 9 Impressions 1 and 3, lucky Man, Still You Turn Me On, Take a Pebble
    Black Oak Arkansas - Hot 'n' Nasty, Dixie, Mutants of the Monster

21 06 1974 California Jam par

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    ELP, Tull and Crimson
    Agree with all of these... and add Camel and Supertramp!!

Can't believe Supertramp isn't in yet!

I'd go with them, Crimson, Moodies, Tull, and ELP for prog groups not yet it that should be.

However I'd go with Todd Rundgren before any of them to be honest.

I believe Kansas deserves to be there.

If there's anything that I've learned about the RRHoF, it's that what the average prog fan thinks is "deserving" of the honor isn't remotely close to what is actually considered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Anderson bruford wakeman howe

Next Prog Band in line for RRHOF?

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Can't believe Supertramp isn't in yet!

I'd go with them, Crimson, Moodies, Tull, and ELP for prog groups not yet it that should be.

However I'd go with Todd Rundgren before any of them to be honest.
    Good call on Supertramp...actually think they have a better shot than Tull or KC. I think ELP will have a hard time getting in, and not sure they deserve to.
    Last edited by Score2112; 12-24-2016 at 03:31 PM.

For you Elvis Costello fans... I am merely picking on him, because he got in by .. well, I am not even sure. Its not sales, its not that he wrote any real "classic" songs. My understanding is that these artists supposedly did something to influence R&R. Elvis is not the worst artist in RRHOF, He is just a perfect example of what is NOT "Fame" oriented.

His binary claim to fame is that he is in the rock and roll hall of fame. Is there something wrong with pointing this out? Compared to a Moody Blues, or a Jethro Tull, the guy is not even a blip on the radar. It warps reality.

Ian Anderson should go, and stand in the foyer, and post out to the world that "I am finally in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame!". I'd say that Jethro Tull should do it, but he is dead.

The one group that just became qualified and deserves to be in is Damn Yankees.

They single -handedly tried to stave off the coming onslaught of grunge and hip-hop and that alone is worthy of induction.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Yes, I think that prog should not be called rock n roll. It's always been a problem for me, IMO, its not even rock!
    Prog is closer to rock than rap.

Reason #36 why the RRHAF is bullshit.

Really there should be several Hall of Fames...
    Hip Hop, Rap, Rock, Prog, Metal, Country, Jazz, Blues, Electronica, R and B.
    Would make more sense I suppose.

Uriah Heep