Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Next Prog Band in line for RRHOF?

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Yeah add in copies of Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Abbey Road.
    Electronica dub versions?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Motorhead should absolutely be in (along with Judas Priest)
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I still can't believe they inducted Metallica before Blue Oyster Cult, Scorpions, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest. Without those bands, there wouldn't be a Metallica.
    Black Sabbath was before Metallica, and justly so. With Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, you have the roots of heavy metal and hard rock.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

^Deep Purple should have gone in around the same time as Black Sabbath (with 'Zeppelin, who are admittedly more sui generis, those are certainly the 'big three' in terms of influence on subsequent heavy bands) but their media profile isn't quite so high.

Metallica should not have gone in as early as they did, and nor should Rush IMHO. That's not a slight on either band, just that they got in ahead of bands that influenced them in the first place.

I would be surprised if BOC, Scorpions or UFO got in. The latter two especially never quite became iconic bands over time IMHO (UFO might have if Schenker hadn't left when he did!). Thin Lizzy might have a shot- I think their catalogue has somehow endured better in terms of visibility, in the UK at any rate. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead should absolutely be there.

Regarding these hard rock/metal bands, I don't think UFO, Scorpions, BOC, or Motörhead will get in. Priest and Thin Lizzy have a decent shot, however, particularly due to their influence on successive bands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not really a fan of either, but it's a crime that Motorhead and Judas Priest aren't in.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Black Sabbath was before Metallica, and justly so. With Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, you have the roots of heavy metal and hard rock.

I would be surprised if BOC, Scorpions or UFO got in. The latter two especially never quite became iconic bands over time IMHO (UFO might have if Schenker hadn't left when he did!). Thin Lizzy might have a shot- I think their catalogue has somehow endured better in terms of visibility, in the UK at any rate. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead should absolutely be there.
    When, I mentioned Scorpions, I was thinking specifically the Uli Jon Roth years, and that version of the band, certainly, were influential, as was the Schenker era UFO and BOC. That's why I brought them up.

But I do agree it's unlikely that Scorpions or UFO got in. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys who run the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame don't even realize that Scorpions had a career before Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Deep Purple should have gone in around the same time as Black Sabbath (with 'Zeppelin, who are admittedly more sui generis, those are certainly the 'big three' in terms of influence on subsequent heavy bands) but their media profile isn't quite so high.

Metallica should not have gone in as early as they did, and nor should Rush IMHO. That's not a slight on either band, just that they got in ahead of bands that influenced them in the first place.

Yeh. Deep Purple, together with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, have been referred to as the "unholy trinity of British hard rock and heavy metal in the early to mid-seventies"
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

I agree with you. Metallica even did a cover of "Astronomy", and also acknowledged its early influences on the Garage, Inc album.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I agree with you. Metallica even did a cover of "Astronomy", and also acknowledged its early influences on the Garage, Inc album.
    Which was my point. They inducted Metallica before inducting the fully worthy bands without whom Metallica wouldn't even exist. That's not right. But I think they've done that kind a few times before, eg inducting someone like Eric Clapton before inducting Freddie King, for instance.

The only band that didn't get in ahead of Rush that could be considered an influence is Yes. Rush also probably influenced a lot more bands or at least players than Yes did. Too bad Yes didn't get in the year Rush did.

And I'm not sure where that Yes influence comes out even though Geddy Lee loved Relayer.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 01-02-2017 at 08:08 PM.