Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your First Albums...

Your First Albums...

Needless to say my musical tastes were still evolving, but when I was around 11, I bought:

Meet the Monkees (Mono)

Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin

album: Introducing The Beatles
    45: "She Loves You"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Queen greatest hits

The first album I owned was The Monkees which my parents bought for me when I was a kid.

The first album I bought for myself was through one of those old Columbia House record clubs that my parents were members of. If I remember right I ordered: Paul Simon – Still Crazy After All These Years, Bachman Turner Overdrive – Not Fragile, and America – History America’s Greatest Hits all at the same time.

The first album that I went into a record store and bought was Bob Seeger – Live Bullet.

As a present - Slade Alive!

Bought it myself - Pink Floyd Relics, or JMJ Oxygene, can't remember which.

Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
    Emerson Lake & Palmer s/t

Purchased at the same time, when I was 12. I had no idea that, later in life, I might have to pick sides concerning which genre held my allegiance. Shortly thereafter, Humble Pie, Live at the Fillmore. That pretty much defines my buying and listening habits, even into adult life.

Quote Originally Posted by Burble View Post
    Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
    Emerson Lake & Palmer s/t

Purchased at the same time, when I was 12. I had no idea that, later in life, I might have to pick sides concerning which genre held my allegiance. Shortly thereafter, Humble Pie, Live at the Fillmore. That pretty much defines my buying and listening habits, even into adult life.
    Hey both great albums.

Not sure what the first one I purchased with my own money was. I think it was Journey's "escape" album which I bought after riding to the local record store on my bike. I remember either going to get that or the debut by Asia but for some reason wound up buying the Journey record. Before that I bought "Freeze Frame" by the J. Geils band but I don't remember if that was with my own money or not. I was big into them and JGB was my first proper concert. I collected singles too but I won't count them. Before that when I was younger I usually got Beatles albums as presents because I didn't really know any bands besides them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Needless to say my musical tastes were still evolving, but when I was around 11, I bought:

Meet the Monkees (Mono)

Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin
    Man you made me smile about my tastes during the late sixties and seventies I was a Roberto Carlos fanatics before my teens, 10 Lp's that I'll never forget their covers. Donna Summer and Elton John (a seventies 4 songs EP with Bernie Taupin and him on the cover) were my very first Lp's I bought when I was around 13
    Still on my teens my first Prog Lp was Triumvirat's Pompeii .
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 12-21-2016 at 03:16 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Banned
    My first vinyl actually was a single, and it was - released in Yugoslavia under licence in summer 1974 - Brian Ferry's The ‘In’ Crowd (Dobie Gray cover). Somebody gave me that single and I remember that I loved the song and that Brian Ferry's voice.

Just a few months later, I bought Trespass by Genesis just because I loved that album cover art when I saw it in a records shop in Belgrade downtown that was selling LPs from import, and that album remains to be my favourite album by them til the present day; soon after that, I bought Genesis' Live, it was released under licence in Yugoslavia, and, along with Trespass, that was to me an instant acceptance of sympho-rock.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-21-2016 at 03:35 AM.

Rolling Stones "Flowers"
    Beatles "1967-1970"
    Animals "Greatest Hits"
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Renaissance Music For Brass-(Nonesuch LP)

I think the first 45 i bought was The Ventures covering Hawaii-Five-O
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The Sensational Guitars of Dan and Dale: Batman and Robin
    a Beethoven album

First album purchased with money I earned: Grand Funk the red album

The first album I bought was Cream Goodbye after I had bought the single Badge/Doing that Scrapyard thing, The Doors: Wild Child/Tell All the People, Hurdy Gurdy: Tick Tock Man /Lend me your wings. Havent bought any singles after that.
    Before that I got Beatles (white album) as a Christmas present.
    The next albums I bought were Johnny Winter: Second Winter, then Colosseum: Walentyne suite, then Band of Gypsys, then Hot Rats, then Hansson & Karlsson: Monument and sometime in that period also John Mayall: The turning point.
    After that I'm not sure, recall that it was Soft Machine: Six...
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 12-21-2016 at 07:17 AM.

The first things "rock" I took an interest in were Three Dog Night, Black Sabbath, Steppenwolf, and the Guess Who. My older brother had these bands' records, so I just listened to them; I didn't go out and buy them myself.

My highly-prized first honest-to-goodness rock possession was Bachman-Turner Overdrive Not Fragile. I got it for Christmas in 1974. I sort of knew that's what that big square present under the tree was since I'd made it known I really wanted that album. I remember getting up at, like, 2:00 am, opening it, and then quiety going downstairs to my brother's room to listen through headphones. Still love that album! That put me on a huge BTO kick, so I eventually got all of their other albums. Over the next couple of years others quickly followed: Yes The Yes Album, Fragile, Aerosmith Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rush Caress of Steel, Queen A Night at the Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, s/t, and then many, many others.

I was passively into prog then; my aforementioned older brother, who played Hammond organ, was a huge ELP fan and spent hours transcribing things like The Barbarian and Knife Edge, so I got to hear that sort of thing very, very often.

Jefferson Airplane- Surrealistic Pillow
    Grateful dead- first record
    Velvet Underground- And Nico
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I think the first album I owned was AC/DC's Who Made Who on cassette.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

My mom's stepfather bought me this when I was 9 or 10. He was an amateur drummer.

^^
    Now that I come to think of it, Beatles white was not my first album. My Dad gave me this one when I was 8 or 9. Its pretty good, I still have it !

The Four Seasons Entertain You - The Four Seasons
    Bill Cosby Is a Very Funny Fellow – Right! - Bill Cosby
    I Had Too Much to Dream Last Night - The Electric Prunes
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Im pretty #1 was Hi , Im Johnny Cash.
    #2 was Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here , quickly followed by Dark Side Of the Moon. Heavy on the prog there after.

After my Monkees phase, I bought these:

Iron Butterfly - IAGDV
    Cream - LIVE
    Beatles - Abby Road
    LZ - I & II

...Holy crap, how could I have forgotten:...

The Animals - Animalism & Animalization....wore the crap out of those two disks
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 12-22-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    G.A.S -aholic

Jackson 5 - Goin' Back To Indiana (Live with Bill Cosby)
    Led Zeppelin II
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself
    probably several more hard rock albums before I got into Prog with
    ELP- Trilogy

First album I bought (after only previously buying singles) was Three Dog Night -Cyan. Other early purchases were Grand Funk -E Pluribus Funk and Alice Cooper -Billion Dollar Babies.

Stand - Sly & the family Stone
    Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    Umma Gumma - Pink Floyd

All on cassette. Eclectic, wouldn't you say?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Not quite sure of the sequence, but when I was about 13 I acquired these:

London Symphony Orchestra - Tommy (it was some years before I heard the Who's version!)
    Chicago - Live at Carnegie Hall
    Orignal Cast Recording - Jesus Christ Superstar
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.