Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New John Elefante/Kerry Livgren?

New John Elefante/Kerry Livgren?

Exciting post from John Elefante on Facebook on December 16:

"So anxious for folks to hear what the Maestro Kerry Livgren and I are working on!!"

I am looking forward to this. I am a huge fan of John's voice and of course Kerry!

The last time those two worked together, they produced this 10-minute epic for Elefante's 2010 album:

Great news, especially that Kerry is recording something.

Where's the Elefante fro?

The vid is not available?

What's the 10 minute epic like? Never heard of this guy!

I suspect this is the Cantata of Lazarus, but it may be a new solo album.
    From Numavox.com:
    11/16/16: Kerry continues working on two new projects - a new Solo Album, and of course The Cantata.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Not sure why it doesn't work for you. Try the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybAQcbUAQk

Never heard of this guy!
    Really? Elefante was the lead singer of Kansas on their Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures albums, and has several solo albums and countless productions to his name.

With or without Elefante, I'm up for something new from Kerry.

it's funny, i was listening to samples from Elefante's solo albums a few years back but wasn't interested because of the Christian lyrics.
    (as an atheist) i'm not heavily into Neal Morse... so suddenly i don't have a problem with Elefante's lyrics anymore. so i ordered his last CD.

What's the 10 minute epic like? Never heard of this guy!
    Sounds like something that Robbie and Steve would have sung on Masque...really nice with lots of Kansas elements.

His voice is not quite as high as Steve's was but sounds a lot more powerful and in your face than it was on Drastic Measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I am looking forward to this. I am a huge fan of John's voice and of course Kerry!

The last time those two worked together, they produced this 10-minute epic for Elefante's 2010 album:
    I mostly ignored the Elefante era of Kansas (and Elefante's solo career for that matter), but i have to say this track sounds more like the classic Kansas than Prelude Implicit.

If my ears don't deceive me i'm hearing the soaring Livgren guitar melodies that have been missing from Kansas for a long time. There seems to be more going on compositionally too which is also a good thing.

I'll be real curious to hear the new stuff.

An Elefante track that really sounds like Kansas (with Rich Williams and David Ragsdale)

^Now that rates a !

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    ^Now that rates a !
    X2

X3 - both those Elefante songs are really good and yeah I have to say better than what I have heard off of Prelude Implicit. His voice is still in top form. Maybe he and Livgren will form a rival 'ARW-style' version of Kansas. Get Dave and Robby back in as well.

Wow, that was good. And it really came from out of the blue. I haven't heard anything about Elefante since Kansas disbanded after that second album with him.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    X3 - both those Elefante songs are really good and yeah I have to say better than what I have heard off of Prelude Implicit.

that John Elefante song above (This Is How The Story Goes) BLOWS away every track on The Prelude Implicit.
    they should have made a deal to cover that song for the album.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    X3 - both those Elefante songs are really good and yeah I have to say better than what I have heard off of Prelude Implicit. His voice is still in top form. Maybe he and Livgren will form a rival 'ARW-style' version of Kansas. Get Dave and Robby back in as well.
    ARW style version, hah, maybe they can rope Steve Morse too!

Really liked those two songs, is this representative of his solo work?

Pretty much sounds like Kansas to my ears
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Really liked those two songs, is this representative of his solo work?
    Sadly no, most of his stuff is somewhat cheesy AOR. There are some pearls though.

Before you think John Elefante is so wonderful at everything he touches, consider this little song ... from the same album. I like the music but find the lyrics to be an ugly distortion of the doctors and nurses. Not based on fact but rather speculation of the religious right.

https://youtu.be/vdYPjpl5pI0

^^^ i like the song and also the lyrics. it's an Pro-Life song and very effective.

I listened to all of them, the last being the lamest, musically. His lyrics on all 3 are overly preachy to me; I can make up my own mind without some shouting at me. Plus, the last smacks of ignorance and distortion of facts, and I can't abide that.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    ^^^ i like the song and also the lyrics. it's an Pro-Life song and very effective.
    I have no problem with his opinion on abortion. Its a free country. But I won't tolerate such ignorance of accusing medical staff of "forcing" an abortion on innocent teenagers.