Thread: Eddie Jobson Interview

Eddie Jobson Interview

Found this on the Keyboard Magazine website:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1...e-jobson/60704

Great interview with Eddie Jobson; thanks for sharing.

You are welcome.

There is also a brief Erik Norlander interview:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1...orlander/60708

I'm glad someone in the "mainstream" music world is showing respect for prog artists.

Rudess has made the cover of Keyboard at least a couple times. All or most of the greats, like Wakeman, Emerson, Hammer and Moraz, have been featured cover interviewees, too.

Keyboard have been champions of prog keyboard musicians for decades. Some of their early editors were buds with Keith Emerson, who briefly had a regular column. Of all the legacy music mags I'd say they're the most prog friendly.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Keyboard have been champions of prog keyboard musicians for decades. Some of their early editors were buds with Keith Emerson, who briefly had a regular column. Of all the legacy music mags I'd say they're the most prog friendly.
    That's right. I forgot about that.

A couple of things stood out for me in the interview.

1. His decision to become self-reliant and learn to do all of the music and business related tasks himself. I couldn't stand the sound of the recent UK remasters, so obviously I wish that he had hired a professional remastering engineer.

2. He thinks his software simulations sound better than the original analog gear. Take that, analog purists! I'm just a hobbyist who can't justify spending $3500 on a real Minimoog. Now I feel better about the fact that I'm using Arturia Mini V3.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    A couple of things stood out for me in the interview.

1. His decision to become self-reliant and learn to do all of the music and business related tasks himself. I couldn't stand the sound of the recent UK remasters, so obviously I wish that he had hired a professional remastering engineer.

2. He thinks his software simulations sound better than the original analog gear. Take that, analog purists! I'm just a hobbyist who can't justify spending $3500 on a real Minimoog. Now I feel better about the fact that I'm using Arturia Mini V3.
    Maybe these two points are kind of connected? Hearing loss?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Actually, that did occur to me!

I own ALOT of vintage analog synths (Minimoog, Prophet 5, OBX-a, Quadra, Jup 8, Jup 6, Arp Pro soloist, RMI, Mellotron, Pianet T and N, Hammond C3 and L-100 and loads of digital synths and rack gear. The upkeep on these things is incredible. There is always something broken or quirky about them. Patch battery dies, mod does't work, OSC card doesn't tune, keybed bushings wear out, tuning issues for the Pianets. And dont get me started in the CP-70. The list goes on.

Yes, blasting a minimoog sounds awesome (when it stays in tune), but I have a Macbook Pro laptop that has all of these instruments in digital form - a 20 x 20 foot studio condensed in a 13 inch laptop. Plus all of my guitar amps and effects. Yeah, owning the real things are great, until you need to use them at a gig or recording session. You'll spend more time fixing these things than recording. And just like guitar digital modelers, NO ONE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    And just like guitar digital modelers, NO ONE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
    Hopefully you will be able to demonstrate this on a new Ad Infinitum album.

Seeing a musician playing a bank of keyboards on all sides (jobson, emerson, wakeman) live gets the butterflies going for the audience. Maybe prog has suffered not because of Phil but from the miniaturization of keyboard technology?

Ha, i'll keep everyone guessing which is real and which is a digital simulation. But, "what is real"?

And just like guitar digital modelers, NO ONE CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE.
    Did someone mention hearing loss?

But, "what is real"?
    Oh, man, don't get philosophical on us. It will result in a 20 page flame war!

As for not being able to tell the difference, someone on Gearslutz made an mp3 with recordings of three famous Jupiter 8 riffs. He played one set with a real Jupiter 8 and one set with Arturia software and asked people to guess which was which. A week later he revealed the truth, and 60% of the people guessed the wrong answer. With random guessing, 50% should have gotten it wrong. The funniest part was reading the remarks by people chiming in AFTER he revealed the truth, saying "they don't sound anything alike, blah, blah, blah."

Fun read. Thanks.