Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam - 2016

lest we forget Paul Kantner and Signe Anderson, the day after Bowie left the building
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Watership Down author Richard Adams has died as well

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38446309
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And what about that Russian Choir that went down.......

Rick Parfitt of Status Quo also passed away last week.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

And now Carrie Fisher. It must be very painful for her Mother Debbie Reynolds. FUCK 2016!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is starting to seem like a Terry Gilliam animation...

Gee whizz! Has anyone seen the new version of Top Gear, called The Grand Tour? Check out a section of each episode called Celebrity Brain Crash. I think CBC should be dedicated to 2016! You'll see what I mean...LOL

the O/T thread has turned into an obituary.....
    2016 isn't cursed, it's just that our beloved actors, singers, writers, etc... are in that age range where health is an issue.
    we don't live forever and 2017 will only get worse...
    so brace yourself!

Here's an analysis of the number of celebrity deaths in 2016 and keep in mind this was written two months ago.

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity...eath-continues

The total number of major celebrity deaths so far in 2016 is 22. Again, that's substantially more than the full-year totals for all the previous years – they range from eight to 19. For the full year. No matter what happens in the fourth quarter, 2016 will be remembered as the year when so many more celebrities died than in a normal year – and so many of them were legends in their fields.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Two more famous people died today but I didn't recognize their names; I assume they were actors.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    And now Carrie Fisher. It must be very painful for her Mother Debbie Reynolds. FUCK 2016!
    I went to a funeral service a few months ago for a friend of the family. She died of cancer at 57. Although her dad had died one of the people in attendance was her mother who was probably in her 80's. That's what that reminds me of. It must be tough to have one of your children die before you do.

There's still a few days left. Hopefully no one else will leave us.

It has irritated me to no end that Chris Squire seems to be left off of most lists. He was one of the greatest bassists ever in Rock, and was an exceptional BGV. I saw a "33 Iconic musicians who died in 2016" feature on FB and Chris was overlooked. There were several musicians I have never heard of. Yet. if you played the bass riff from Owner of a Lonely Heart, almost anyone would asay "Oh yeah, I know that song- it's great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It has irritated me to no end that Chris Squire seems to be left off of most lists. He was one of the greatest bassists ever in Rock, and was an exceptional BGV. I saw a "33 Iconic musicians who died in 2016" feature on FB and Chris was overlooked. There were several musicians I have never heard of. Yet. if you played the bass riff from Owner of a Lonely Heart, almost anyone would asay "Oh yeah, I know that song- it's great!"
    He died in 2015.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    He died in 2015.

DOH! I guess I'm late to the party also. One I didn't hear about until that article was Jerry Corbetta, the keyboard player/lead singer for Sugarloaf who wrote Green-Eyed Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Two more famous people died today but I didn't recognize their names; I assume they were actors.
    Two fairly well-known French actresses:

Michele Morgan (50's star bigger than Bardot)

Claude Gensac (otherwise known as Louis De Funes' wife in movies on 13 different occasions, but not in real life)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^Them too. The ones I'm thinking of were American; apparently one of them was murdered.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

2016 as a whole reminds me of this song:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the O/T thread has turned into an obituary.....
    2016 isn't cursed, it's just that our beloved actors, singers, writers, etc... are in that age range where health is an issue.
    we don't live forever and 2017 will only get worse...
    so brace yourself!
    Yes - They cant live forever, many are getting 70+, and many weren't holding back on drugs, smoke and alcohol. So what can we expect.
    The problem for the music is, that there aren't so many to fill out the shoes of this pioneer generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Yes - They cant live forever, many are getting 70+, and many weren't holding back on drugs, smoke and alcohol. So what can we expect.
    The problem for the music is, that there aren't so many to fill out the shoes of this pioneer generation.
    Now I sort of understand my parents and grandparents habit of checking the obits as they got older. They recognized names more often.
    As far as the shoe filling goes, there are many, many musicians out there that you have never heard of because of the lingering legacy of the 'pioneer generation'.
    It is a shadow that obscures ( and has obscured ) a lot of talent.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

As I said in the Debbie Reynolds thread...2016 will be remembered by me as the year of an awakening and reminder of mortality. Cherish this short life.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Now I sort of understand my parents and grandparents habit of checking the obits as they got older. They recognized names more often.
    As far as the shoe filling goes, there are many, many musicians out there that you have never heard of because of the lingering legacy of the 'pioneer generation'.
    It is a shadow that obscures ( and has obscured ) a lot of talent.
    I believe that the change in music consumption has a lot to do with lack of discovery of new music.

For baby boomers, listening to free form FM radio and hanging out with friends playing some new vinyl and listening together was the way to hear new music.

For Generation X, making a mixtape for a friend or listening to college radio was the way to hear new music.

How will the current generation discover new music when the social aspect of listening to music is gone? Nowadays listening to music generally consists of streaming on a smartphone with headphones and MP3, not high quality sound.

Laura

RIP Robert Leo Hulseman -- Inventor of the red Solo cup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...?client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RIP Robert Leo Hulseman -- Inventor of the red Solo cup:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...?client=safari
    i'm sure there will be a moment of silence (and a toast) at every fraternity house in the country

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'm sure there will be a moment of silence (and a toast) at every fraternity house in the country
    It's pretty funny really. "I wonder, if the cup was red..."